Football XXXVI: Race for the top four

Consigliere

I appreciate that you don't like Liverpool, but you sound like an 8 year old. Loserpool, really?

I agree. And I am a United fan.

Anyway, this was a good week. United almost ensured a place in top 4. Liverpool were quite pathetic today, which was great to see.

Charlie Adam scoring the goal of the season. Both Courtuis and De Gea uncharacteristically made mistakes today.

I agree that this forum is one of the better, if not the best, place I have found to discuss football. If my modifying of Liverpool's name offends you to that extent then I apologise and will refrain from doing so in the future.

[mod] Gents: we give the sports threads a bit more leeway than other sections of the board, but let's keep it reasonably civil and try to show a bit of respect, please. [/mod]

Still basking in the glow of today's result. Not going to bother watching MotD as I can't be arsed listening to some ill-informed twunt slagging off Ozil despite him putting in another brilliant performance today.

Observations:

With his 6th goal in 6 league games, Giroud now tops the PL strikers table of goals per minute played, and has to be amongst the candidates for Player of the Year. If he hadn't missed the first half of the season with a broken leg, we'd probably be top of the league right now.

Coquelin was immense again today. Again, if he hadn't spent the first half of the season on loan, we'd probably be top of the league. Perhaps the hipster's choice for Player of the Year.

I am slowly falling in love with Hector Bellerin. I was very sad to see Sagna leave last summer, but in Debuchy and Bellerin we've now got the best pair of right backs we've had in years.

Raheem Sterling is not yet anywhere near as good as he thinks he is. He may one day develop into a world class footballer, but with his ill-advised TV interview, followed by a largely anonymous performance today, all he has done this week is demonstrate his (lack of) class. By the sound of things, he's not going anywhere in the summer. He should get his head down, and do his best to get Liverpool into the top four next season.

[mod] Gents: we give the sports threads a bit more leeway than other sections of the board, but let's keep it reasonably civil and try to show a bit of respect, please. [/mod]

It got a bit snippy but I think we have demonstrated that we are big boys around here.

Man, Jenkinson must be rather sad right now.

I doubt it. He's lined up for his dream move to West Ham, where he can be first choice for a mediocre team instead of third choice for a good one.

Man, Jenkinson must be rather sad right now.

He's probably hoping that City or Real or someone comes in for Bellerin. Which, given his performances this season, isn't totally beyond the realms of possibility.

But yeah, shame for Jenks. Lad's a True Gooner, and I'm a huge fan of his.

I don't mean to knock west ham, and I realize my post probably could have come across as that but he was essentially supposed to be doing what Bellerin is doing for Arsenal at the moment. It was supposed to be him and Debuchy. But with Debuchy, Bellerin and Chambers, we're probably well stocked at RB.

Plus, it's the fans too, he's been a gooner all his life. And there's also this . I think we all ( the arsenal fans) wanted him to work out, more so than most other players.

He could still come back and try and stake his claim, and by all accounts, he's been good for west ham. However, I don't know if the club will even keep him if the right offer comes along.

Yeah, I had my tongue in my cheek for that post. He's been good this season, and his defensive decisions have improved noticeably. He seems like a good guy and I wish him well, wherever he ends up.

I don't mean to knock west ham, and I realize my post probably could have come across as that but he was essentially supposed to be doing what Bellerin is doing for Arsenal at the moment. It was supposed to be him and Debuchy. But with Debuchy, Bellerin and Chambers, we're probably well stocked at RB.

Plus, it's the fans too, he's been a gooner all his life. And there's also this . I think we all ( the arsenal fans) wanted him to work out, more so than most other players.

He could still come back and try and stake his claim, and by all accounts, he's been good for west ham. However, I don't know if the club will even keep him if the right offer comes along.

I don't think Chambers is a very good right back, and long-term I reckon we'll see him at more CB. Though, after an eye-catching start to the season I've got some doubts about his overall quality. Which is why I think there's still hope for Jenks, though it does seem to be fading. Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer.

In other news, Bayern win away at Dortmund despite being without Robben, Ribery and Alaba. The one-horse race continues.

If Chelsea wins that remaining game, then the difference between the first and second in England, will be the same as the difference between the first and second in Germany. And Bayern is far better than Chelsea.

So, in Germany it is as one horse rose as in England. Which for some reasons gets labelled as a competitive league despite having less (or as many) champions in the last 10-20 years or so than any other top league in Europe.

If Chelsea wins that remaining game, then the difference between the first and second in England, will be the same as the difference between the first and second in Germany. And Bayern is far better than Chelsea.

So, in Germany it is as one horse rose as in England. Which for some reasons gets labelled as a competitive league despite having less (or as many) champions in the last 10-20 years or so than any other top league in Europe.

Next season will be different. United will be incredibly strong, as will Arsenal. If City's rebuilding goes well, they will also be up there. And look, Chelsea only won today because of an unnecessarily conceded penalty, and a ridiculous mistake from Stoke's keeper to gift them the winner.

Chelsea are nowhere near as formidable as they were early in the season. And with Costa crockled, there's life in this title race yet.

Archived