Football XXXVI: Race for the top four

Consigliere

Yeah, I had my tongue in my cheek for that post.

Yeah, I thought you might have but I wasn't sure.

Agree re: Chambers, probably a better option in the centre than at right back. It's a good thing we got Gabriel though, I thought he did fairy well today.

Next season will be different. United will be incredibly strong, as will Arsenal. If City's rebuilding goes well, they will also be up there. And look, Chelsea only won today because of an unnecessarily conceded penalty, and a ridiculous mistake from Stoke's keeper to gift them the winner.

Chelsea are nowhere near as formidable as they were early in the season. And with Costa crockled, there's life in this title race yet.

I agree that Chelsea aren't that strong, and yet still they have a similar difference to the second place as Bayern in Germany.

We'll see what happens next season, but England's league has been quite crap on the last few years. From next season, Germany will officially surprass EPL on Uefa coefficients, which is the closest thing to an objective comparison which we can make. Only 3 teams on quarter finals of UCL in the last 3 seasons combined (and only one in semi) for the richest league in the world is as pathetic as it can be.

I hope that things improve next season. I believe that United will be quite better, and I think that you would be better too (especially if Wenger gets a new striker and CB for the depth). But EPL has been in a decline for the last 5 years or so, and it is time to wake up if we don't want to lose that fourth place (which could easily happen in the next two years if things don't improve).

Edit: I think that the title race is already over. Chelsea aren't great but the difference on points is quite big, and neither of the other three teams are able to win all the remaining games. Us, you and City will all drop points which means that even when Chelsea drop points they'll still win the league.

Only 3 teams on quarter finals of UCL in the last 3 seasons combined (and only one in semi) for the richest league in the world is as pathetic as it can be.

Agreed. But I can give you 5.1 billion reasons why the Premier League will see a resurgence.

If Chelsea wins that remaining game, then the difference between the first and second in England, will be the same as the difference between the first and second in Germany. And Bayern is far better than Chelsea.

So, in Germany it is as one horse rose as in England. Which for some reasons gets labelled as a competitive league despite having less (or as many) champions in the last 10-20 years or so than any other top league in Europe.

Erm...no. Since the inception of the Bundesliga in 63/64, Bayern have won 24 titles and are virtually guarenteed a 25th. There has been competition behind Bayern which results in Germany having more teams represented in the CL but Bayern have largely dominated the league and have had their pick of the best talent Germany has to offer. Bottom line: currently the premier league is far more competitive than the bundesliga and that is not even an argument. The premier league can boast a number of teams that are capable of sustaining a title challenge in the long term. The bundesliga cannot.

Erm...no. Since the inception of the Bundesliga in 63/64, Bayern have won 24 titles and are virtually guarenteed a 25th. There has been competition behind Bayern which results in Germany having more teams represented in the CL but Bayern have largely dominated the league and have had their pick of the best talent Germany has to offer. Bottom line: currently the premier league is far more competitive than the bundesliga and that is not even an argument. The premier league can boast a number of teams that are capable of sustaining a title challenge in the long term. The bundesliga cannot.

I was talking more on the last 10-20 years (as I mentioned in my post). There isn't any point taking the entire history consdering how much things have changed.

I can give some Rafa fachts for things currently though:

1) German's team are doing better than English teams on both UCL and Europa League (not only Bayern but the other teams too).

2) The difference between the first and second in Germany is pretty much the same as in England, despite Bayern being far superior than Chelsea.

So, EPL is more competitive than Bundesliga only on the minds of very biased English fans, who have been brainwashed from EPL marketing and the journos who can't make two sentences together without mentioning how awesome EPL is.

And while is true that Bayern currently is the only team challenging for the title there, that is more because of the quality of Bayern, not the lack of quality of the other teams. If Bayern was playing against English teams, it would have been the same. Just look at the encounters against the top English teams in the last few years and see the results for yourself.

Agreed. But I can give you 5.1 billion reasons why the Premier League will see a resurgence.

It depends how that money is spent though. Liverpool has a tendency of burning money on shit players (as do Spurs). United on the last 5 years or so has been awful on transfer market too, as has been City after their first batch of good players they signed (Silva, Aguero and Yaya). Arsenal is a bit mixed with Chelsea the only one who knows how to spend money well.

Money helps a lot and in long term it will make EPL competitive, but there is much more to the game than the money. And currently, the money is the only thing EPL has to offer.

Hoping Burnley can help bring St Totteringham's Day a little closer tomorrow, while dragging Tim Sherwood closer to relegation.

If Villa go down I will laugh my bollocks off. As much as I feel sorry for their fans, they've been stinking the place out for far too long now, and Randy Lerner needs to be taught a lesson.

Hoping Burnley can help bring St Totteringham's Day a little closer tomorrow, while dragging Tim Sherwood closer to relegation.

If Villa go down I will laugh my bollocks off. As much as I feel sorry for their fans, they've been stinking the place out for far too long now, and Randy Lerner needs to be taught a lesson.

Agree. Villa have been on the most pointless clubs in the league since O'Neal left and they stopped spending that much money.

I don't have any strong feelings against Villa, although I always remember them taking us out of the Semi-Final of the Coca-Cola Cup. I think anything they can do to get rid of Lerner is best for everyone.

In other news, Phil Neville thinks Sterling wouldn't find a place at another top Premier League team because "City have Aguero, United have Rooney and Chelsea have Costa". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see why these players matter to where Sterling goes.

I also don't see why it's assumed that Sterling has to stay in the Premier League.

So, EPL is more competitive than Bundesliga only on the minds of very biased English fans, who have been brainwashed from EPL marketing and the journos who can't make two sentences together without mentioning how awesome EPL is.

Sorry, but now you're talking shit. Only three years ago, Man City & United (and QPR) gave us the most thrilling Final Day of the Season since Arsenal went to Anfield needing to win by two clear goals in 1989. The following year United strolled it, but last year, it went more or less to the wire, with just four points between first and third, with Arsenal another three points behind in fourth.

If that's not competitive, I don't know what is. Or do you somehow want the PL bosses to fashion some kind of mathematical paradox whereby all 20 clubs are in contention for the title on the final day?

Sorry, but now you're talking shit. Only three years ago, Man City & United (and QPR) gave us the most thrilling Final Day of the Season since Arsenal went to Anfield needing to win by two clear goals in 1989. The following year United strolled it, but last year, it went more or less to the wire, with just four points between first and third, with Arsenal another three points behind in fourth.

If that's not competitive, I don't know what is. Or do you somehow want the PL bosses to fashion some kind of mathematical paradox whereby all 20 clubs are in contention for the title on the final day?

Wasn't quite clear to be fair. Meant more, the English clubs aren't competitve in Europe and aren't that strong. Taking only the league into context it is competitive to a degree (although bar in the last 2 years it has been United and an another since I watch football), but I think that it is better to consider also how strong are the clubs. And they are quite bad currently compared with European top clubs.

Wasn't quite clear to be fair. Meant more, the English clubs aren't competitve in Europe and aren't that strong. Taking only the league into context it is competitive to a degree (although bar in the last 2 years it has been United and an another since I watch football), but I think that it is better to consider also how strong are the clubs. And they are quite bad currently compared with European top clubs.

At the end of the day, who gives a shit? Personally, I want my club to do well in the domestic league. Arsenal have never been much cop in Europe, but I don't really care. Sure, a European title would be nice, but.... meh. I suspect most football fans feel the same.

Yeah, I thought you might have but I wasn't sure.

Agree re: Chambers, probably a better option in the centre than at right back. It's a good thing we got Gabriel though, I thought he did fairy well today.

Gabriel looks like he fits into the team pretty well, and at only 24 he looks to have been an excellent buy. I expect that as Mertesacker and Koscielny get older (and Kos certainly looks to be having ongoing injury trouble) we will see a gradual transition to Gabriel and Chambers as the CBs of the future. Gabriel looks like the third choice and Chambers fourth, but Wenger probably likes Chambers' versatility to deputise at RB as well. There's certainly plenty of cover available in defence now (considering Monreal had a stint at CB) and that we have two good choices at each defensive position. The only spot that we don't really have adequate cover for is Coquelin in DM (Flamini's best days look to be well behind him now), which makes me nervous if he goes down.

I'm curious to see if Southampton can hang on to any of their central midfield players this summer. I predict Man City buys Schneiderlin, to the dismay of Arsenal fans, and I could see big offers for Wanyeama and Ward-Prowse too. All the big Prem clubs have holes centrally, it seems, and Southampton have the goods there, even if they are fading a bit recently.

In other news, Phil Neville thinks Sterling wouldn't find a place at another top Premier League team because "City have Aguero, United have Rooney and Chelsea have Costa". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see why these players matter to where Sterling goes.

On related news, I don't think Sanchez would find a place in another top EPL team because City have Hart, United have De Gea and Chelsea have Courtois.

At the end of the day, who gives a shit? Personally, I want my club to do well in the domestic league. Arsenal have never been much cop in Europe, but I don't really care. Sure, a European title would be nice, but.... meh. I suspect most football fans feel the same.

Really? UCL is the best football tournament.

I love when United wins the league, but the night on Moscow when we won UCL for me was one of the happiest days in my life and was far more happy than any other time for a football match.

Really? UCL is the best football tournament.

I love when United wins the league, but the night on Moscow when we won UCL for me was one of the happiest days in my life and was far more happy than any other time for a football match.

Yeah, but in our lifetimes (assuming you're roughly my age) we win the league all the time. We've got a bit blase.

Also: Bayern aren't that much stronger than Chelsea this season. They're much better to watch, but they've got their weaknesses. They're not the juggernaut they were under Heynke, even last season they lost their aura of invulnerability and they've not got it back. There's also the fact that the gap might be nearly as big from Chelsea to second as to Bayern (if they win the game in hand), but Wolfsburg are also having a particularly good season and are pretty much coasting clear, whereas three points cover second to fourth in the Prem.

Put it this way: the gap between first and seventh in the Premiership is seventeen points (and thus ten, currently, between second and seventh). In the Bundesliga it's thirty even though they've played less games. Which is more competitive?

p.s. I don't tend to use them, but silly club nicknames are out? Really? I know this is a good place to discuss football properly and everything, but immature taking the piss is part of the whole fun. I'd be quite disappointed if City fans ever stopped referring to us as 'the rags', for example. It means they care. :P

Archived