Detailed ASOIAF timeline v. 2

Rhaenys_Targaryen

The original thread was created by PrivateMajor, but has been closed for length. Thus, here a second version, so we can continue our conversations :)

The timeline can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE#gid=8

PrivateMajor's original OP:

Based on some previous threads on this forum, this beast of an excel document was born. Let us know what you think!

It's our attempt to map out the exact days of what happens from AGOT-ADWD.

Give me your e-mail if you want to be added as an editor to the document.

On the citation for Dany 5 in Clash of Kings, it says 'he left after Stannis' declaration but before Renly's death.' Shouldn't it be 'after Stannis' declaration but before Balon's declaration and Renly's death?'

Robb's age under 'event' for Bran 5 in AGOT is listed as 16, not 15, and the chapter number for AGOT Sansa 3 is missing.

Robb's age under 'event' for Bran 5 in AGOT is listed as 16, not 15, and the chapter number for AGOT Sansa 3 is missing.

Should be 15.

[...] Robb said. His auburn hair had grown shaggy and unkempt, and a reddish stubble covered his jaw, making him look older than his fifteen years.

AGoT Chapter 44 == AGoT Sansa III

While Balon did see himself as King/had himself crowned King before Renly's death, was it publicly known before Renly's death?

As Hand, Tyrion receives in KL the letter in which Balon proclaims himself King of the Isles and the North in Clash 49, Tyrion XI, and learned Renly died in Clash 36, Tyrion VIII, so I would say no.

Here's my own rough timetable of sorts using Joff's 12th nameday tourney as Day 1 through to the arrival in KL.

A couple of points:

While I guess it's possible for a raven to fly from KL to WF and vice versa in 1 week, I honestly think it would take longer since the distance is so great. I chose 2 weeks; ravens from WF to the Wall go 1 week.

I seriously disagree with the timeline giving a month and a half for the journey north and almost 3 months for the journey south. I don't believe the Stark party would have slowed the King down that much. I gave both times of 56 days with four days added south for Darry.

I also think there's too much time between Benjen leaving and Jon's nameday.

Day 1: Joffrey's 12th nameday tourney
Day 15: Jon Arryn dies; raven sent to Winterfell; Cersei, the children, and her father 3 days out from KL; rider dispatched; Robert plans to ride north
Day 16: rider reaches Cersei; she and the children turn back; Tywin continues to Casterly Rock
Day 20: Cersei returns to KL
Day 21: Royal party heads north
Day 30: Gared executed; news of Arryn's death in Winterfell; Robert 10 days on the road, 4 days away from crossroads inn (Bran 1 & Catelyn 1)
Day 35: Robert enters the Neck
Day 46: Robert exits the Neck
Day 76: Robert arrives in Winterfell (Eddard 1 & Jon 1)
Day 82: South; Night's Watch (Catelyn 2)
Day 95: Bran's fall (Bran 2)
Day 99: wolves; Joffrey (Tyrion 1)
Day 107: Departure from Winterfell (Jon 2)
Days 114 to 118: Catelyn 3
Day 124: Tyrion 2
Day 125: Barrowlands (Eddard 2)
Day 127: Arrival at the Wall
Day 131: Benjen ranging (I'm guessing 21 days until Jon's nameday)
Day 137: Entering the Neck
Day 148: Exiting the Neck
Day 149: Joffrey & Sansa (Sansa 1)
Day 151: Jon's nameday
Day 153: Lady killed (Eddard 3)
Day 159: Bran wakes (Bran 3)
Day 161: Catelyn in KL (Catelyn 4)
Day 166: Jon, Bran will live (guessing a week for raven to reach the Wall) (Jon 3)
Day 167: Arrival in KL (Eddard 4); by this point Benjen gone for 37 days (over a month, cross with 'close on half a year' from Jon 7); Tyrion ready to leave (Tyrion 3)

Unfortunately, Tyrion's travel back from the Wall to the inn does truly muck things up. I find it hard to believe that Catelyn could have possibly left KL days after Ned's arrival, especially after he told her to return to WF 'at once,' but it seems to be the only option to make the two sync. If Tyrion and his men were able to reach the inn in half the time Robert did on the way back, then the journey would be around 46 days, but that would require Catelyn to have been in KL for just over a month. I tried to shorten the travel times from KL to WF and vice versa, but that only made things worse.

Ah, we had the journey from and to Winterfell at two months each direction originally... It seems that something went wrong while working on the Game-events... Will be fixed, should be about two months, perhaps a few.days less, for Winterfell to KL

The "Catelyn travels too slow, Tyrion too fast" issue is a well known one..

Really too bad we don't know how long it took to go from the edge of the Barrowlands 8 days out of Winterfell to the Neck, or that would refine it even more.

I even tried to fudge the Wall timeline a bit by assuming they were only a few days away from the Wall when Tyrion 2 takes place, but honestly, the only way everything could even remotely start to make sense is if the journey to the Wall takes less than 18 days, and it's clearly indicated in the text that it's not the case. *sigh*

Shadowsword, you still have the Tyrion from-Wall-to-Inn problem by lengthening the King's Landing to Winterfell travel. I've tried to lengthen it more, and it works better.

I've made a comparison with the most precise timeline, yours, and mine (in this order)

Joffrey's 12th nameday : Day 001 / Day 001 / Day 001
Jon Arryn dies : Day 015 / Day 016 / Day 016
Robert leaves KL : Day 022 / Day 021 / Day 031
Robert reaches W : Day 069 / Day 076 / Day 103
Robert's KL to W : 48 days / 56 days / 73 days
Bran falls : Day 089 / Day 095 / Day 123
Wall's and king's parties leave W : Day 101 / Day 107 / Day 136
Cat decides to leave W : Day 113 / Day 118 / Day 148
Jon and Tyrion at CB : Day 121 / Day 127 / Day 158
Jon and Tyrion's W to CB : 21 days / 21 days / 23 days

Benjen leaves : Day 126 / Day 131 / Day 162

Nymeria attacks Joffrey : Day 164 / Day 149 / Day 194

Jon's 15 nameday : Day 173 / Day 151 / Day 181

Lady killed : Day 168 / Day 153 / Day 198

Bran wakes up : Day 175 / Day 159 / Day 191

Cat arrives in KL : Day 177 / Day 161 / Day 196

Cat's W to KL : 64 days / 43 days / 48 days

Tyrion leaves CB : Day 187 / Day 167 / Day 196

Tyrion in CB : 66 days / 40 days / 38 days

Ned arrives in KL : Day 181 / Day 167 / Day 219

Ned's W to KL : 81 days / 61 days / 84 days

Catelyn leaves KL : Day 198 / Day 168 / Day 220

Ned in KL to Cat leaves KL : 17 days / 1 day / 1 day

Catelyne captures Tyrion : Day 214 / Day 182 / Day 235

Tyrion's CB to Inn : 28 days / 16 days / 40 days

You have Tyrion's capture 32 days before the MPT, and 53 days before me (I've assumed you had a fortnight for Cat between KL and the Inn). But, without having Cat stay in KL after she met Ned like you, I have 40 days for Tyrion to go from CB to the Inn. That's still short but it's a bit better.

Really too bad we don't know how long it took to go from the edge of the Barrowlands 8 days out of Winterfell to the Neck, or that would refine it even more.

I even tried to fudge the Wall timeline a bit by assuming they were only a few days away from the Wall when Tyrion 2 takes place, but honestly, the only way everything could even remotely start to make sense is if the journey to the Wall takes less than 18 days, and it's clearly indicated in the text that it's not the case. *sigh*

You can say that the younger back from the Wall to Winterfell took less time for Tyrion, as he was not slowed down by travelling in a group, with inexperienced riders amongst them..

I'm pretty sure Robb turns 15 first than Jon.

Care to state why? I am not so sure, it is pretty difficult to fix their birthdays in relation to each other. Catelyn believing Robb to be older is a hint, but she is not always correct, nor could she now for certain.

Care to state why? I am not so sure, it is pretty difficult to fix their birthdays in relation to each other. Catelyn believing Robb to be older is a hint, but she is not always correct, nor could she now for certain.

Surely, in-universe and after 14 years, Catelyn would know when the respective name days occur. Therefore, Catelyn believing that Robb is older implies that his name day occurs before Jon's. Whether or not this is Jon's actual name day is irrelevant in the context of the speculative timeline.

Shadowsword, you still have the Tyrion from-Wall-to-Inn problem by lengthening the King's Landing to Winterfell travel. I've tried to lengthen it more, and it works better.

I've made a comparison with the most precise timeline, yours, and mine (in this order)

Joffrey's 12th nameday : Day 001 / Day 001 / Day 001

Jon Arryn dies : Day 015 / Day 016 / Day 016

Robert leaves KL : Day 022 / Day 021 / Day 031

Robert reaches W : Day 069 / Day 076 / Day 103

Robert's KL to W : 48 days / 56 days / 73 days

Bran falls : Day 089 / Day 095 / Day 123

Wall's and king's parties leave W : Day 101 / Day 107 / Day 136

Cat decides to leave W : Day 113 / Day 118 / Day 148

Jon and Tyrion at CB : Day 121 / Day 127 / Day 158

Jon and Tyrion's W to CB : 21 days / 21 days / 23 days

Benjen leaves : Day 126 / Day 131 / Day 162

Nymeria attacks Joffrey : Day 164 / Day 149 / Day 194

Jon's 15 nameday : Day 173 / Day 151 / Day 181

Lady killed : Day 168 / Day 153 / Day 198

Bran wakes up : Day 175 / Day 159 / Day 191

Cat arrives in KL : Day 177 / Day 161 / Day 196

Cat's W to KL : 64 days / 43 days / 48 days

Tyrion leaves CB : Day 187 / Day 167 / Day 196

Tyrion in CB : 66 days / 40 days / 38 days

Ned arrives in KL : Day 181 / Day 167 / Day 219

Ned's W to KL : 81 days / 61 days / 84 days

Catelyn leaves KL : Day 198 / Day 168 / Day 220

Ned in KL to Cat leaves KL : 17 days / 1 day / 1 day

Catelyne captures Tyrion : Day 214 / Day 182 / Day 235

Tyrion's CB to Inn : 28 days / 16 days / 40 days

You have Tyrion's capture 32 days before the MPT, and 53 days before me (I've assumed you had a fortnight for Cat between KL and the Inn). But, without having Cat stay in KL after she met Ned like you, I have 40 days for Tyrion to go from CB to the Inn. That's still short but it's a bit better.

I said, 'If Tyrion and his men were able to reach the inn in half the time Robert did on the way back, then the journey would be around 46 days, but that would require Catelyn to have been in KL for just over a month.'

With Cat already at sea and Ned a fortnight or less from KL when Bran woke up, Jon getting the news before Tyrion left Castle Black, between 18 and 30 days to reach the Wall from WF (though it could be covered in half the time or less by T's group), then the journey from WF through the Neck to the inn (ditto) - if Catelyn left KL the morning after Ned arrived, it would still be logically impossible for T to have reached the inn at the same time as Catelyn.

With Cat already at sea and Ned a fortnight or less from KL when Bran woke up

Be careful here. We're not sure if Bran's visions when he wakes up are all in real time, or if some are in the past, some are in the present, and some are in the future, as I believe.

Awesome what you guys did here! :bowdown:

A couple of things regarding Robb and Jon's ages...

There's some info at The Citadel; it's about Jon only,but it does give us an idea about when Jon was born, which is 'within one month, give or take, of the Sack [of King's Landing]'.

And there's this SSM where Martin says that Jon 'was not born more than one year before Dany, probably closer to eight or nine months or thereabouts'.

The other thing I've noticed is that the Wiki of Ice and Fire places the Battle of the Bells in 283 AC, while the Tower of the Hand, much more reliable imo, places it in late 282 AC.

Personally, I think Robb was a few months older than Jon.

Awesome what you guys did here! :bowdown:

A couple of things regarding Robb and Jon's ages...

There's some info at The Citadel; it's about Jon only,but it does give us an idea about when Jon was born, which is 'within one month, give or take, of the Sack [of King's Landing]'.

And there's this SSM where Martin says that Jon 'was not born more than one year before Dany, probably closer to eight or nine months or thereabouts'.

The other thing I've noticed is that the Wiki of Ice and Fire places the Battle of the Bells in 283 AC, while the Tower of the Hand, much more reliable imo, places it in late 282 AC.

Personally, I think Robb was a few months older than Jon.

And how does the Tower of the Hand place it in 282 AC?

Archived