Casting, News, and Speculation while waiting on Season 5 (show and book spoilers)

Associate Maester

If Barristan dies, it has to be after:

- he tells Dany something about his father's reign (that he was crazy or the horrible things he did to other people)

- a big fight scene (maybe Barry vs. Sons of the Harpy)

Barristan is one of the few characters who can tell us (and Dany) about the past (and Rhaegar too ;) )

Funny how D&D are "whitewashing" Cersei, as if George RR Martin hasn't done the same when he introduced us to Maggy the Frog. Is there anyone who can claim that Cersei has no reason to hate Tyrion and the Tyrells after what the very accurate witch has told her? No one can without pointing out that she has completely legitimate reasons to despise Tyrion (whom she believes is the valonqar) and the Tyrells (whom she believes will take all she holds dear) and not without cause.

In fact with removing the valonqar prophecy, D&D are doing what George should have done if he wanted us to believe she's truly batshit crazy. Without it she has no reason to hate Tyrion other than being a horrible horrible person. Much for "whitewashing" eh?

Funny how D&D are "whitewashing" Cersei, as if George RR Martin hasn't done the same when he introduced us to Maggy the Frog. Is there anyone who can claim that Cersei has no reason to hate Tyrion and the Tyrells after what the very accurate witch has told her? No one can without pointing out that she has completely legitimate reasons to despise Tyrion (whom she believes is the valonqar) and the Tyrells (whom she believes will take all she holds dear) and not without cause.

In fact with removing the valonqar prophecy, D&D are doing what George should have done if he wanted us to believe she's truly batshit crazy. Without it she has no reason to hate Tyrion other than being a horrible horrible person. Much for "whitewashing" eh?

Cersei herself notes, on waking up, that she hadn't thought about that prophecy in years, and it was given to her well before she had started to dislike Tyrion, based on her behaviour soon after he was born. It doesn't "whitewash" her in the slightest.

Of all the problems with this scene, I think one of the biggest is that absolutely nobody involved with it (the writers, the actors, the director) seems to be on the same page as to what was meant to be conveyed there.

I still think it's not D&D's intention for us to view it in a positive (at least it wasn't in S4, but we'll see how it's portrayed in S5), but you're completely right in how it will come across. We're both arguing shades of the same point I think?

Didn't D&D want that scene in season 4 to go further than it did but Natalie wouldn't do it? What was their original intention with that scene I wonder, was it meant to be super icky or what? It was uncomfortable to watch but did they intend it to be worse or was it just going to be some titillating nonsense?

I sort of felt she went in there with the intention of doing as Olenna said but when she got there and saw his innocence and that he was just a sweet boy she couldn't do it, it humanized her a bit in my eyes, showed she wasn't quite the game player yet that others are. She was still using him and manipulating him but she couldn't quite go all the way like some other would have.

Of all the problems with this scene, I think one of the biggest is that absolutely nobody involved with it (the writers, the actors, the director) seems to be on the same page as to what was meant to be conveyed there.

yeah with the two times D&D have talked about this scene, they've been pretty clear that it was just meant to be a rape scene. but then everyone else is vehemently denying that its not.

yeah with the two times D&D have talked about this scene, they've been pretty clear that it was just meant to be a rape scene. but then everyone else is vehemently denying that its not.

I'm actually more inclined to the opposite view: It was not meant to be a rape scene, but when the backlash made clear that the end-product had been received as such, D&D came up with an artistic explanation for the scene.

It just doesn't make sense to me to view it was a rape scene within the narrative, because there is not a single scene in the subsequent seven episodes that suggests the audience is meant to think Jaime is a rapist.

Well, on the show Jaime and Marg are the creepy sexual assaulters while in the books it's Cersei (Taena) and Tyrion (that poor sex-slave). BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Probably that D&D like Cersei and Tyrion better.

I'm actually more inclined to the opposite view: It was not meant to be a rape scene, but when the backlash made clear that the end-product had been received as such, D&D came up with an artistic explanation for the scene.

It just doesn't make sense to me to view it was a rape scene within the narrative, because there is not a single scene in the subsequent seven episodes that suggests the audience is meant to think Jaime is a rapist.

D&D heavily implied it to be rape in the inside the episode video (which was shot and filmed before the episode even aired)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwv9MrRZGSE

Well, on the show Jaime and Marg are the creepy sexual assaulters while in the books it's Cersei (Taena) and Tyrion (that poor sex-slave). BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Other than that D&D are huge Lannister fanboys?

Plus she also sort of takes the plunge with him at the end of season 4 with telling Daddy and then going to see him and declaring love and getting physical. That's not how I imagine Cersei treating her rapist. What it was intended to be, and what it came across as don't quite line up.

Cersei herself notes, on waking up, that she hadn't thought about that prophecy in years, and it was given to her well before she had started to dislike Tyrion, based on her behaviour soon after he was born. It doesn't "whitewash" her in the slightest.

And yet the valonqar prophecy doesn't exist at all in the show, which makes her reasons to hate Tyrion less legitimate than they are in the books. She has absolutely no reason to hate Tyrion so much other than "killing our mother" which certainly doesn't help the whitewash argument as holding such a grudge is a really terrible thing for her.

Where as in AFFC we learn that this witch has prophesied that her little brother will kill her and her children before he was even born which means she wanted him dead since the moment he was born. That makes her reasons very legitimate to me, in the books atleast but not on the show.

So yeah, main point is: D&D whitewash her on some points but certainly not so much as many are suggesting. She's still a clearly bad person, everyone gets that but not a Yunkai-esque caricature evil villain as described in the books post AFFC at times.

Seems like she loses the dress in a traumatic way. The dress is classic evil costume switch (= a shift to a dark side), odds are, she wears white at the wedding to signal a shift and show the shift back (subtle they are not, but that's part of the trope).

She's the virgin who is sacrificed on the altar of Winterfell (for no reason at all).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilCostumeSwitch

Archived