Brontosaurus is back, baby!

Fez

My childhood wasn't a lie after all*, at least according to a new paper.

Although generally corroborating the results of previous studies, our analysis proposes three major taxonomic changes within Diplodocidae: (1) the resuscitation of Brontosaurus as a distinct genus from Apatosaurus; (2) the discovery of an additional genus within Diplodocinae, herein named Galeamopus and typified by the species G. hayi, which was previously referred to Diplodocus; and (3) the treatment of “Dinheirosaurus” as junior synonym of Supersaurus, creating the new combination Supersaurus lourinhanensis.

There's articles about it, and everything. Next up, Pluto!

*Sure, it was long before by childhood that the classification was officially removed, but it was still used in the pop culture I saw in the late '80s.

The problem is that it isn't just Eris and Ceres but potentially several dozen (Makemake, Sedna, Haumea, Orcus, Quaoar etc., also adding Vesta from the asteroid belt). Those could get difficult to memorise. :(

I'm just glad that my strategy of consistently pretending brontosaurs once existed has proved useful...

The problem is that it isn't just Eris and Ceres but potentially several dozen (Makemake, Sedna, Haumea, Orcus, Quaoar etc., also adding Vesta from the asteroid belt). Those could get difficult to memorise. :(

I'm just glad that my strategy of consistently pretending brontosaurs once existed has proved useful...

Yeah, that would totally mess up My Very Easy Method Just Sums Up Nine Planets :(

Sorry to disappoint you, but Pluto will never be a planet again. Unless you also want to say hi to the planets Eris and Ceres.

I prefer Eris's ORIGINAL name: Xena. I would welcome them back to the fold along with Pluto.

I am pretty excited about Brontosaurus. Finding out they didn't exist was oddly disturbing. Glad that was just a glitch.

I prefer Eris's ORIGINAL name: Xena. I would welcome them back to the fold along with Pluto.

I am pretty excited about Brontosaurus. Finding out they didn't exist was oddly disturbing. Glad that was just a glitch.

I totally want a planet Xena. It should be populated entirely by lesbians and brontosaurs

Suck it, haters! Oh ye of little faith. Shame on you for doubting.

Look, this was never that difficult. If someone asks you "Is the Thunder Lizard legit?," do you think the more appropriate answer is yes or no?

Hah. That's gotta be apocryphal, Jesus definitely rode a Tyrannosaur or probably even a sweet pterydactyl.

Pah. Jesus never rode a T Rex - Harry Dresden did. Although it would have been poetic if Jesus had ridden an undead T-Rex.

At best, Jesus rode a velociraptor.

Archived