Small Questions v.10099

Jon Weirgaryen

What were some big theories going around before ADWD and AFFC come out

Great question. I wanna see what sort of foreshadowing GRRM has used before, the way he hinted at things to come. Because some of the examples of foreshadowing I see on this forum seem to be a bit of a stretch

You guys missed this one. I want to hear it answered too. What were some popular theories (or crackpots) that got totally shot down in AFFC and ADWD.

There are Compendium of Theory threads for this, it is not a small question.

While I am happy to answer what I know about, I am just too much of a newbee in the fandom to know about that by myself. I simply was not around at the time.

You may want to go ahead with a search engine of your choice, maybe narrow down your search on certain sites with the addition of site:example.com or for this site site:asoiaf.westeros.org or even site:westeros.org and crawl your way through.

Or maybe you address the aforementioned pinned A Compendium of Theories v.2 thread in the General (ASoIaF) forum and ask over there.

1) How exactly does succession work in Westeros in terms of distant relatives taking over when the main line dies out?

2) How does succession work in terms of female heirs and the carrying on of a family name?

3) Where were the Crownland's forces during the lead-up and actual Battle of the Blackwater?

4) Furthermore, if mainland Crownlanders weren't counted amongst Stannis' naval forces then where did he get all the people to man his fleet?

5) In that same line of question, where do the Redwynes get the manpower for their massive Arbor fleet?

I feel there are some regulars on the thread that have not found the time to give you quality answers to your question and the comments I deleted from above quote. Allow me to answer them in all simplicity:

1) It does not work on to a regular scheme. The richest and most elegant power schemers will get their pawn or person of choice to inherit. Mostly by buying him in. That is what used to happen in real history and also in ASoIaF.

But oficially: The male primogeniture rules go roughly: The firstborn son will get it. Next the firstborn son of the firstborn, and so on directly downwards by firstborn sons down the family tree. Once there is no firstborn son on the lowest level, stay down there, look for the second/third and so on. Running out of sons, go for the firstborn daughter and carry on finding the next eligible daughter. When those options are exhausted, it starts getting complicated, bastardborn children on that level are probably coming into the picture.

At the time the whole level is exhausted, it starts getting really complicated, as the tree has to be traversed upwards, and the question will arise, up to where? In reality, it usually went back to the level of the deceased lord, or even back to some legendary king, and then downwards again. It tends to get messy and undecisive.

2) I think the family name will usually change to that of the hubby.

3) I pass, don't know.

4+5) Navies used to rag-tag everyone for naval service they could coerce into it. Whoever wanted to enlist, and whoever did not run fast enough when the press gang was near.

What's the reference code for World of Ice and Fire on Wiki?

{{Ref|TWOIAF| chapter: subtitle}}

Don't forget the space between the second | and the chapter name.

Currenlty, for example, information from the chapter on Aerys II is stated as {{Ref|TWOIAF| Aerys II}}, but my idea was to make it a bit more orderly by renaming that to {{Ref|TWOIAF| The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II}}

TWOIAF can also be written as twoiaf

Question: in the show, Joffrey ordered Robert's bastards to be killed a la Herod. In book, where Cersei kinda did it, it was like that or she just ordered Barra and Gendry to be killed? I really can't remember.

Also, how she knew about Gendry? She found out about Barra by mistake.

My guess would be that Gendry came into view due to the investigations of Jon Arryn and Stannis..

Barra and Gendry seem to have been the only ones in KL, so those are the only ones we heard about.. And Cersei seems to have kept her actions in KL.. Mya didn't suffer any trouble, for example, due to being so far away I guess..

My guess would be that Gendry came into view due to the investigations of Jon Arryn and Stannis..

Barra and Gendry seem to have been the only ones in KL, so those are the only ones we heard about.. And Cersei seems to have kept her actions in KL.. Mya didn't suffer any trouble, for example, due to being so far away I guess..

Oh, thanks.

(cool scene in show, though...).

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tiger_(_animal_) how to add disumbigation page?

"Tiger" redirects to Triarchs of Volantis instead of my new article...

You'd have to edit http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?title=Tiger&redirect=no and just make it a disambiguation page. Remove what's on the page and replace it with links to the two Tiger articles. You can look at another disambiguation page's edit screen to get an idea how to do it.

No reason to be sorry :) we don't know much about Tully-marriages from the past, or Frey-marriages from the past, so at this moment, I can't tell you with certainty.

It should be noted, that Walder isn't counted as kin to the Tully's, nor did he bring up such a match in his retellings of his attempts to make a match with one of his own to Edmure.

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that there is already a Lannister-Frey marriage while their own LPs never intermarried with them.

To be fair the Lannister-Frey marriage was a huge anomaly due to Tytos being the worst lord ever.

I love how this is described in the full version of the Westerlands history

Outlaws, broken men, and robber knights became a plague upon the land. Genna Lannister was carried off to the Twins and married to a Frey.

I assumed Martin/Ran/Linda remembered that. I wasn't suggesting that she was literally captured by outlaw Freys, I just think it's funny that Yandal phrased it that way. To me it suggests he was aware that this was a horrible match for the Lannisters that never would have been allowed to happen it Tytos was competent.

You'd have to edit http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?title=Tiger&redirect=no and just make it a disambiguation page. Remove what's on the page and replace it with links to the two Tiger articles. You can look at another disambiguation page's edit screen to get an idea how to do it.

Thanks!

I've added tiger to template:creatures using [[Tiger (animal)|Tiger]] could sb check if it works correctly and sends to Tiger ( animal) , not to Triarchs of Volantis?

Archived