Small Questions v.10099

Jon Weirgaryen

Yes. Tyrion, Brienne, and William Wells.

Thanks. I forgot aboit that handy-dandy search engine. (The few times I've tried it, I've gotten like a billion responses, I guess I'll have to keep trying it).

The crooked teeth could be associated with Tyrion and Brienne just to make them as ugly in physical appearance as possible. That leaves William Wells and Illyrio as the only two "normal" nobles being described as having crooked teeth. I asked because I was wondering whether Illyrio's crooked teeth were a nod or maybe subtle support for his claim to have grown up as a poor bravo in Pentos, along the lines of Daenerys and Arya noticing that he moved gracefully, as a bravo would, for such a fat man.

How to suggest edits to the owner of the asoiaf timeline?

I am asking because that thread is locked, and I don't want to be an editor.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/84563-most-precise-asoiaf-timeline-in-existence/

In this timeline, there is no explanation for most Brienne chapters in AFFC, and according to the timeline, Brienne arrives Saltpans much later than Arya. However, Arya departed Saltpans in Titan's daughter, and Brienne sees its purple sails as she arrives Saltpans. So Brienne narrowly missed Arya, and they should both be in Saltpans in around the same time. Or did the Titan's daughter return from Braavos, then went back again, and that is when Brienne saw the ship?

How to suggest edits to the owner of the asoiaf timeline?

I am asking because that thread is locked, and I don't want to be an editor.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/84563-most-precise-asoiaf-timeline-in-existence/

In this timeline, there is no explanation for most Brienne chapters in AFFC, and according to the timeline, Brienne arrives Saltpans much later than Arya. However, Arya departed Saltpans in Titan's daughter, and Brienne sees its purple sails as she arrives Saltpans. So Brienne narrowly missed Arya, and they should both be in Saltpans in around the same time. Or did the Titan's daughter return from Braavos, then went back again, and that is when Brienne saw the ship?

I'm sure Rhaenys will see your post, but there is a second version of that thread here:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/127185-detailed-asoiaf-timeline-v-2/

I'm sure Rhaenys will see your post, but there is a second version of that thread here:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/127185-detailed-asoiaf-timeline-v-2/

Oh, thank you for the link. On further examination, I think they were not at Saltpans at the same time. Arya does not mention Tarly men in the docks, nor 'half a dozen ships' that can cross the narrow sea on port. When Arya arrived at Saltpans, Titan's daughter was the only proper ship at the port, others were only river galleas.

Oh, thank you for the link. On further examination, I think they were not at Saltpans at the same time. Arya does not mention Tarly men in the docks, nor 'half a dozen ships' that can cross the narrow sea on port. When Arya arrived at Saltpans, Titan's daughter was the only proper ship at the port, others were only river galleas.

I think most of the readers who have given this issue a lot of thought have concluded that ship's appearance sognals to reader that ot has returned after taking Arya to Braavos.

My question...

In TWOIAF was there a battle among three armies?

^It depends how you mean. We are told about the battle where the Starks and Umbers fought the wildlings and then the Nights watch appeared at the end. You could call that 3 or 4 armies, though you could also call it 2. The blackwater had the Tyrells, Lannisters, and Stormlords. While the Tyrells and Lannisters were on the same side they were also separate. In AGOT Drago attacks another khalasar that was already attacking a village, again could be considered 3 armies.

As far as 3 separate forces all fighting each other, I think the last is the only example, but the village would not have had many fighting men.

Other than Illyrio, are any of the nobles in ASOIAF described as having crooked teeth?

Ser Willam Wells:

Quentyn lost two other friends that same dayWillam Wells with his freckles and his crooked teeth, fearless with a lance, and Cletus Yronwood, handsome despite his lazy eye, always randy, always laughing. Cletus had been Quentyn's dearest friend for half his life, a brother in all but blood. "Give your bride a kiss for me," Cletus had whispered to him, just before he died.

Brienne Tarth:

Jaime was tired. Tired of her suspicions, tired of her insults, tired of her crooked teeth and her broad spotty face and that limp thin hair of hers. Ignoring her protests, he grasped the hilt of his cousin's longsword with both hands, held the corpse down with his foot, and pulled. As the blade slid from the scabbard, he was already pivoting, bringing the sword around and up in a swift deadly arc. Steel met steel with a ringing, bone-jarring clang. Somehow Brienne had gotten her own blade out in time. Jaime laughed. "Very good, wench."

Tyrion:

"You grow very quiet," Tyrion Lannister observed. "Is this what you want? An end to your betrothal?"

"I . . ." Sansa did not know what to say. Is it a trick? Will he punish me if I tell the truth? She stared at the dwarf's brutal bulging brow, the hard black eye and the shrewd green one, the crooked teeth and wiry beard. "I only want to be loyal."

"Loyal," the dwarf mused, "and far from any Lannisters. I can scarce blame you for that. When I was your age, I wanted the same thing." He smiled. "They tell me you visit the godswood every day. What do you pray for, Sansa

Also, Ygritte and Oswell Kettleblack had crooked teeth...

Is it ever said how many people live on Dragonstone regularly? I dunno if it's just a castle or if it has small villages or what.

There's a small village at the base of the fortress where ships come in. I don't know if there are any larger settlements but there would pretty much have to be a number of fairly large towns on the island and/or Driftmark and Claw Isle for a handful of islands that size to be able to field even five thousand men.

I've personally come to think that Sweetport Sound might be a town on the island due to the fact House Sunglass seems to be pretty close to be pretty close to the lords of Dragonstone.

Small Question: On another thread it was mentioned that Robert was crowned on the Trident, I do not remember this from the text and I do not have the world book with me right now, so where is it written that he was crowned then? I found an old SSM that says Robert did not intend to claim the throne until around the the time of the Battle of the Trident, but no mention of him actually declaring himself king or being crowned at that point.

Small Question: On another thread it was mentioned that Robert was crowned on the Trident, I do not remember this from the text and I do not have the world book with me right now, so where is it written that he was crowned then? I found an old SSM that says Robert did not intend to claim the throne until around the the time of the Battle of the Trident, but no mention of him actually declaring himself king or being crowned at that point.

They have it backwards. Robert declared his claim to the throne around the time of the Trident, but wasn't crowned until after Aerys' death.

^It depends how you mean. We are told about the battle where the Starks and Umbers fought the wildlings and then the Nights watch appeared at the end. You could call that 3 or 4 armies, though you could also call it 2. The blackwater had the Tyrells, Lannisters, and Stormlords. While the Tyrells and Lannisters were on the same side they were also separate. In AGOT Drago attacks another khalasar that was already attacking a village, again could be considered 3 armies.

As far as 3 separate forces all fighting each other, I think the last is the only example, but the village would not have had many fighting men.

I mean a three-sided battle.

Why is house Caron is listed as possibly Marcher house in the head post? I've thought they were the first among the marcher lords.

They are absolutely Marcher lords (rather than just possibly), but although they are styled as the "Lord of the Marches" they hold no dominion over the other Marcher lords. From the world book:

Among the sternest of the Marcher seats are Stonehelm, the ancient seat of House Swann, with its watchtowers of black and white stone, which stands above the waters of the river Slayne with its rapids, pools, and waterfalls; Blackhaven, home to House Dondarrion, with its forbidding black basalt walls and bottomless dry moat; and Nightsong of the Singing Towers, where House Caron has held sway for many centuries. Though styled as lords of the marches, the Carons hold no dominion over the other Marcher lords; they count themselves the oldest of the Marcher houses, however (a claim the Swanns dispute), and have always been prominent in leading the defense of the stormlands.

Archived