The Complete Winds of Winter Resource v. 2

BryndenBFish

As much as I would love to have the Winds on my hands, and even more the Dream, I wouldn't like for them not to have the quality of the previous (and especially the first three) books.

I don't know if anyone have thought it that way, but let's imagine that GRRM does a "fast: writing in order to get to some deadline (eg season 6), then that could possibly mean less focus on the quality (dalogues etc), maybe some "mistakes" or even bad storytelling. I suppose noone would like sth like this, so as much as we love to speculate (so many open possibilities really! and really want to know what happens next!) I think we will not be satisfied with sth like that. Not to mention that by the time we finish the winds we will want the dream...

just bare thoughts....

Over on the ASOIAF subreddit, I wrote a quick(ish) analysis on what GRRM means when he says things like "I am way behind" and borrowing some of Wert's ideas, again define GRRM's terminology when writing and the progress he's made on TWOW.

Quickish, heh

Nice work, thanks, and also for all your other work, it's a nice bridge between books and I actually like a Dance a whole lot more because of what you analyzed there (not Quentyn).

As much as I would love to have the Winds on my hands, and even more the Dream, I wouldn't like for them not to have the quality of the previous (and especially the first three) books.
I don't know if anyone have thought it that way, but let's imagine that GRRM does a "fast: writing in order to get to some deadline (eg season 6), then that could possibly mean less focus on the quality (dalogues etc), maybe some "mistakes" or even bad storytelling. I suppose noone would like sth like this, so as much as we love to speculate (so many open possibilities really! and really want to know what happens next!) I think we will not be satisfied with sth like that. Not to mention that by the time we finish the winds we will want the dream...

just bare thoughts....

The irony is that the books that have been taking less time to write have been of better quality than the ones taking longer. I hope it'll not be the same with Winds.

Interesting breakdown. I think I would go with the interpretation that 13 is not how may POVs are in the book but how many are left in the end, because your summary served to show me that 13 POVs isn't enough to tell the story.

Something is in the works on the Iron Islands and only Damphair is in place to tell it. He is not ditched. It will connect back to whatever happens with Asha and Theon. IMO Theon is doomed rather early in the book so don't know why you would list him and cross off Asha. Asha will last longer. Sam is also definitely a POV in WoW. The only eyes on Euron's activities.

Barristan, Vic, Arianne and JonCon are doomed. My hunch is Cersei is as well...her death is the biggest transition of power the story has yet had, so necessary.

13 POVs end of WoW:
1. Tyrion (Meereen, Volantis)
2. Dany (Dothraki, maybe Braavos and/or Dorne (red door))
3. Jon/Ghost
4. Sansa (Vale, North)
5. Davos (North, ...?)
6. Arya (Braavos, ...?)
7. Bran (far North)
8. Sam (Reach)
9. Asha (Iron Islands)
10. Brienne (Riverlands)

Less necessary and may die, as Cersei and Arianne *might* survive the book:
11. Hotah (Dorne)
12. Jamie
13. Damphair

I still think Sam & Cersei (yup) will get shipped to ADoS. We won't get to see Cersei's breakdown and loss of power until Dany is in Westeros.

And I can't wrap my head around the idea that Selmy and JonC are early doomers. We are edging towards the great pre/Rebellion past and we need thier inputs. We need more on Rhaegar and the court. We need them flawed insiders.

Not seeing Davos would be disappointing to me personally but hey...

My issue is a lot of his ADWD chapters could have be edited out completely or combined with other chapters. Let me give you an example. There's a Jon chapter in the book where he goes into the haunted forest to the weirdwood grove, so the new members of the nights watch can take their vows. To this date I don't understand why this chapter was needed, because the only important thing it adds to the story is the introduction of the giant Wun Wun, a character who could have easily been introduced as a member of Thomard's group. Jon could have also simply reminisced how he took the boys beyond the wall to take their vows and how it reminded him of his own ceremony, but an entire chapter about it just seemed silly and a waste of space.

Sorry to drag this from way back in the thread, but I was catching up and felt compelled:

While I agree that Jon, Tyrion, and Dany's POVs all could have used a little tightening (lord knows I could've said goodbye to Daario sex scenes and Pretty Pig), the chapter you mentioned was my absolute favorite of Jon's in ADWD. Jon's realization that 'when he looked before him, all he saw were men' is incredibly powerful thematically. And the men saying their vows is a sweeping, rousing moment, especially as it cements Jon's belief that he's making the right choice with the wildlings. It's similar to Septon Meribald's speech. Plot movement can't be the only purpose of a chapter, or we would be reading Dan Brown. This is literary fiction, and GRRM is equally concerned with character and theme as plot. This chapter was essential to Jon's arc in ADWD, and I don't really think it's for the reader to dismiss blocks of the story wholesale. Then again, what would we have to discuss here if we didn't, I suppose.

Sorry to drag this from way back in the thread, but I was catching up and felt compelled:

While I agree that Jon, Tyrion, and Dany's POVs all could have used a little tightening (lord knows I could've said goodbye to Daario sex scenes and Pretty Pig), the chapter you mentioned was my absolute favorite of Jon's in ADWD. Jon's realization that 'when he looked before him, all he saw were men' is incredibly powerful thematically. And the men saying their vows is a sweeping, rousing moment, especially as it cements Jon's belief that he's making the right choice with the wildlings. It's similar to Septon Meribald's speech. Plot movement can't be the only purpose of a chapter, or we would be reading Dan Brown. This is literary fiction, and GRRM is equally concerned with character and theme as plot. This chapter was essential to Jon's arc in ADWD, and I don't really think it's for the reader to dismiss blocks of the story wholesale. Then again, what would we have to discuss here if we didn't, I suppose.

Sorry buddy, but for me that chapter was just a step backwards. We already got to see the boys swear their vows back in the first book, I felt there was no need to show it us a second time. To each their own I suppose though.

Also a bit off topic, but I rather like Dan Brown and his writing style, lol

grrm meeting with his people at Random House.  His editor makes a comment about deadlines.

seems slightly relevant.  But probably just wishful thinking.

As I said could be nothing. I just thought i would share

grrm meeting with his people at Random House.  His editor makes a comment about deadlines.

seems slightly relevant.  But probably just wishful thinking.

As I said could be nothing. I just thought i would share

Can not wait for the post that says in all caps WINTER TIME on his not a blog. I do not know about you all but posts from GRRM and his US publisher recently have me cautiously optimistic.

I feel like WoW well be announced either right before Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or right after. I mean if Wow came out before or right after not many people would be buying it (KotSK that is). I know all of us will and I've already pre-ordered it. But I think he doesn't want to affect his sales on that. Does anyone else think this?

I feel like WoW well be announced either right before Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or right after. I mean if Wow came out before or right after not many people would be buying it (KotSK that is). I know all of us will and I've already pre-ordered it. But I think he doesn't want to affect his sales on that. Does anyone else think this?

Nope.  There will be no timing whatsoever to the announcement.  It's not how he rolls.  

I doubt it's a hint of any kind, but I did get a good laugh over "The Plush That Was Promised."

It's also less hideous than those pants with GRRM's face all over them.

And for some reason I now want Stephen King & George RR Martin action figures.

Plushes of people are kinda creepy to me. 

Can not wait for the post that says in all caps WINTER TIME on his not a blog. I do not know about you all but posts from GRRM and his US publisher recently have me cautiously optimistic.

I just check this thread every other day, if it's at 18 pages tomorrow nothing has happened, if it is at 88 pages...

Don't spam 70 pages of nonsense please, ill have a heartattack.

Archived