R+L=J v.139

BearQueen87

It took a year for them to reach KL after they died. And I doubt Aerys treated their bodies with any kind of deserving honour.

Now, it's possible they took Brandon's body to be sent to Winterfell. But Rickard's ashes? I somehow imagine, dunno, Gerold Hightower with a broom trying to recover the most he can :(

Sad thought is sad thought.

Well...it would be the bones, right? Not the ashes. Would the fire reduce the entire body to ash?

Sad thought is sad thought.

Well...it would be the bones, right? Not the ashes. Would the fire reduce the entire body to ash?

Did they use wildfire? If they did, probably. I suppose that thing would be worst than just fire. I've seen a body after being cremated and there was still a few pieces of bone.

Did they use wildfire? If they did, probably. I suppose that thing would be worst than just fire. I've seen a body after being cremated and there was still a few pieces of bone.

They probably did use wildfire since Aerys had the pryomancers there. I guess that would turn men to ash. Maybe Jon Arryn and Robert sent Rickard's clothing home since there was no body to send? He was dressed in fighting gear, not his everyday Lord of WF clothing. I dunno.

Would the fire reduce the entire body to ash?

No. Human body is not that easily rid of. Besides, Rickard was wearing an armor, that would sort of... contain the remains.

However, I doubt that Aerys would have bothered with sending anything, so the tomb is basically just a cenotaph. Maester Luwin talked about having Ned's statue made immediately after his death was reported and when it was in no way sure that they would ever receive the bones.

I disagree. Your version requires Thoros and company to have been traveling with a supply of wildfire this whole time. Given what we know of the volatility of the substance that seems unlikely. It's also hard to imagine why Thoros would be able to revive the dead but not be able to ignite his sword. Furthermore I think that once Thoros saw the true power of the red god (reviving Beric and allowing Beric to ignite his sword with his blood and a prayer) he wouldn't want to keep faking it. All indications are that Thoros became true believer after he revived Beric.

I don't think we ever saw Thoros using a flaming sword... He was only said to use his version of flaming swords in tournaments (which requires wildfire)... The only flaming sword we have ever seen was Beric's & it was fueled by his blood after having received the 'flame of life' or whatever it is called... Now the flame (& thus sword igniting potential) has passed to Lady Stoneheart.

Please let me know if I am wrong...

---

Regarding the chemistry of wildfire, if the liquid were as volatile as you claim at standard temperature & pressure, then all of the old pots of wildfire found below KL would have been empty due to slow/steady evaporation over the course of 15 years...

Note, I am using volatile's strict definition which I take to mean 'evaporates readily at standard temperature & pressure'...

If you take volatile to mean that wildfire explodes when disturbed in the way that nitroglycerin is prone to in liquid form, well I never got that impression reading the books.

That is hogwash

No, it is not, the Novels are a 'Stand Alone' book series... This means that the Dunk & Egg short stories, nor TWOIAF are required to understand what is happening in the book series...

I hope you delete this, because the owner of this forum, who worked on the world book would think otherwise.... I would be surprise if does not remove you from this forum after your nonsensical comment.

That would not be very fair...

There should be nothing wrong with stating a fact.

During a re read of thrones I've read an interesting line I haven't seen on any theories before...

It's well documented that only 2 people survived the battle at the TOJ

HOWEVER in Eddard 1 agot page 40

(Ned telling Robert in winterfell crypts that about him being with her as she died.)

"THEY had found him still holding her body, silent with grief. The little crannogman, howland reed, had taken her hand from his.

It is in the OP.

No, it is not, the Novels are a 'Stand Alone' book series... This means that the Dunk & Egg short stories, nor TWOIAF are required to understand what is happening in the book series...

Required? No. But they *help* to elucidate the series. Reading them gives greater insight. It's nonsense to say that they aren't important.

With ADwD Dunk & Egg became necessary to actually understand the books as only reading TSS and TMK enabled you to recognize Bloodraven as the three-eyed crow. ADwD only gives us his given name 'Brynden' which is by far not enough for an only reader of ASoIaF to make the connection that Bran's teacher is one of the bastards of Aegon the Unworthy - and this is an important fact.

Do you think that GRRM's plot / resolution will employ elements from TWOIAF that he has not properly introduced in his novels?

You mean do I think the Deep Ones are going to rise from wherever and suddenly play a significant role? No, not really.

Do I think GRRM has used TWOIAF to tease out important parts of his series? Yes absolutely. There were a lot of gems in that book (and in D and E) that help us understand the novels and where GRRM might be going. Myths, dragons, history, the Long Night as seen through different cultures, Asshai, the Shadow, K'Dath--it's all important to help us understand what GRRM is doing.

Do you really think that TWOIAF is utterly useless and that there is nothing to be gleaned? Or is that TWOIAF put holes in what you believe and that rankles you?

With ADwD Dunk & Egg became necessary to actually understand the books as only reading TSS and TMK enabled you to recognize Bloodraven as the three-eyed crow. ADwD only gives us his given name 'Brynden' which is by far not enough for an only reader of ASoIaF to make the connection that Bran's teacher is one of the bastards of Aegon the Unworthy - and this is an important fact.

BR is a good example. In TWOIAF we finally learned why BR was sent to the Black Cells. What BR did (as explained in TWOIAF) helps us understand his character and what his end game is and what he may or may not be doing with Bran.

Do you think that GRRM's plot / resolution will employ elements from TWOIAF that he has not properly introduced in his novels?

What makes you think that those elements are not properly introduced in the main series?

If you think that those half human hybrids were introduced in the World Book, check this thread.

I don't think we ever saw Thoros using a flaming sword... He was only said to use his version of flaming swords in tournaments (which requires wildfire)... The only flaming sword we have ever seen was Beric's & it was fueled by his blood after having received the 'flame of life' or whatever it is called... Now the flame (& thus sword igniting potential) has passed to Lady Stoneheart.

Please let me know if I am wrong...

He and Beric both use them when they fight at the Bloody Mummers at that Sept.

Thoros and Lord Beric were everywhere, their swords swirling fire.

Do you really think that TWOIAF is utterly useless and that there is nothing to be gleaned?

Oh, I'm sure you can pick up rid-bits & interesting facts about side issues & unimportant history, etc... But if there is anything in there that is key to the endgame, then it will be properly introduced into the Book Series first...

It is very simple, The Book Series is a Stand Alone Series... It should not be difficult to understand this...

---

So, I think the information is useless, you think that TWOIAF is the key to unlocking GRRM's endgame... I GET IT, can we please talk about something else...

He and Beric both use them when they fight at the Bloody Mummers at that Sept.

Thanks, that is something that I have never picked up on before... that being the case, I think that Thoros was using either wildfire or Beric's blood & a prayer (but not Thoros' own blood)...

What makes you think that those elements are not properly introduced in the main series?

If you think that those half human hybrids were introduced in the World Book, check this thread.

who said anything about half human hybrids?

Oh, I'm sure you can pick up rid-bits & interesting facts about side issues & unimportant history, etc... But if there is anything in there that is key to the endgame, then it will be properly introduced into the Book Series first...

It is very simple, The Book Series is a Stand Alone Series... It should not be difficult to understand this...

---

So, I think the information is useless, you think that TWOIAF is the key to unlocking GRRM's endgame... I GET IT, can we please talk about something else...

I most certainly do not, but thanks for putting words in my mouth!

I think TWOIAF helps elucidate the main series. I think reading TWOIAF built the word of Planetos more, gave us more information (which is never bad) and even helped with some theories that float around often--from AAR to RLJ and everything in between.

who said anything about half human hybrids?

I believe Mithras is giving an example to show how TWOIAF and the book series work together, not apart.

Archived