[TWOW Spoilers] Alayne I, v. 3

He dies and there's the whole game out in front of Sansa, and Cersei to cast down.

Cersei is doing a very good job of casting herself down; I don't think Sansa will be much involved in that.

We're only at the very start of Act 2, just after Littlefinger was revealed as one of the main villains of the saga.  It just doesn't fit, structurally, for him to be derailed immediately after TWOW begins.  Also, I think it's a mistake to just assume that Sansa's starting to play against Littlefinger will be something that is done very quickly; it seems far more interesting, from a literary perspective, if she has to make her moves over an extended period while she's still with him.

Edited by Colonel Green

LF is dangerous, and he's destroying what's left of her that he hasn't already destroyed. He's attempting to break her spirit, and then he'll really have her where he wants her. He's a pimp, and he's treating her like a prostitute, painting this as empowering or as Jane Austen is a joke.

And the plan depends on dead Sweetrobin, who has just been given an extra dose of sweetsleep, even though he's exhibiting side effects (his chest). She goads a dangerous man, who calls her one of LF's brood mares, then bumps into another there for the reward. And more...

Danger, Will Robinson.

Edited by Le Cygne

I agree that it would be anticlimactic for LF to be dispensed right away, that's why I expect it to happen towards the end of TWoW but not the next book. But meanwhile, it's undeniable that we're getting signs that LF's plans can go wrong from the sample chapter and many facts we've gathered from the last two books. Maybe he will recuperate from an unexpected event, but he won't be able to recuperate when things start to get too messy.

I agree that it would be anticlimactic for LF to be dispensed right away, that's why I expect it to happen towards the end of TWoW but not the next book. But meanwhile, it's undeniable that we're getting signs that LF's plans can go wrong from the sample chapter and many facts we've gathered from the last two books. Maybe he will recuperate from an unexpected event, but he won't be able to recuperate when things start to get too messy.

My own personal feeling is that both LF and SR survive the series.  I'd love to see at the end, LF a broken man, his plans and schemes crushed, a man living in poverty and despised by many.   As for SR, I want to be able to grow to adulthood. 

Edited by LongRider

My own personal feeling is that both LF and SR survive the series.  I'd love to see at the end, LF a broken man, his plans and schemes crushed, a man living in poverty and despised by many.   As for SR, I want to be able to grow to adulthood. 

That would be a better ending for him than many, but I would really want to see him dead after the way he fucked over the Stark family. Another theory I despise is at the time he is overthrown/killed by Sansa, he will absurdly feel proud and gloat over her becoming better to outwit him, even in a small way that caused his downfall. I don't want to see him die proud, I want him to despair and be in denial. That would be satisfactory and alas, I don't know if we'll get that.

And another one I despise is him being defeated by Tyrion after the setup of their rivalry in the first three books. No, I don't want Tyrion to take the credit for his defeat and look better in the eyes of Sansa. That would make me quite angry. A Stark should get the better of him if anyone.

About SR, yes I would like to see him live as well. So many people give up on him easily and call him annoying, but his faulty upbringing in his short childhood years was on Lysa and there's a chance with good fostering he could become a good lord. He is somewhat spoiled but again, thanks to Lysa. I really hope Sansa wakes up about what's going on and does something about it soon. The Vale storyline is going to be something in TWoW.

Edited by Aleenys

LF's primary role is that of Sansa's tutor, and that's nearly done, but there's a chance he sticks around to clash wills with the Spider.

Harry or LF are going to die at the Gates and civil war is going to erupt in the Vale, the carefully crafted hostility between the Royces and all the other little moving pieces are not for nothing. Harry and Sansa aren't going to marry and it all get left behind. Nestor and LF hold all the cards and defensive position at the Gates, Yohn has all the men and backing and when Harry or LF dies all the righteous reasoning to come collect.

SPIDERFINGERBOWL! Get hype! 

Spider?  I missed something.  wut?

I was remarking on Chris Daw's comment "LF's primary role is that of Sansa's tutor, and that's nearly done, but there's a chance he sticks around to clash wills with the Spider."

Little does Littlefinger know, Varys spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.  :cool4: 

I was remarking on Chris Daw's comment "LF's primary role is that of Sansa's tutor, and that's nearly done, but there's a chance he sticks around to clash wills with the Spider."

Little does Littlefinger know, Varys spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.  :cool4: 

Thanks!  Spider=Varys, of course, derp.  I just wasn't making the connection.     :dunce:

Is Harry the Heir Sansa's pawn? Or Littlefingers?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Sansa is the one directly manipulating him in this chapter, on Baelish's orders.  If you mean who he'd side with between them, I wouldn't say there's enough information to arrive at a conclusion; he's not particularly attached to either yet.

His behaviour really doesn't make any sense if that's the case.

Yes it does. Waynwood tells him there's a match for him with a bastard if he should consent to it. He thinks ewwwww bastard germs, no thanks. If Yohn has caught wind of the plan and had a chance to get in his ear he's probably been warned against her from him too. So when he meets her he's in this mindset and is a bit of a dick. Later he thinks 'well I was a bit of a dick, I should at least be civil, and she is shit hot...' and Alayne starts roping him in.

It's GRRM does Jane Austen, high end eligible bachelor falls in love with our heroine despite her having nothing but her charms to recommend her, only in Austen's version there's no paedophile sword masters to slice the shit out of Mr Darcy, or the like. Edited by chrisdaw

Bronze Yohn, Anya Waynwod, Harry, and Myranda ("How little is it?") don't trust her:

This betrothal was never his idea, and Bronze Yohn has no doubt warned him against my wiles.  You are my daughter.  He does not trust you, and he believes that youre beneath him.

This is Jeyne talking about Ramsay:

He knows who I am, though. Who I really am. I see it when he looks at me. He looks so angry, even when he smiles..."

And Sansa talking about Harry:

Harry was staring at her. He knows who I am, she realized, and he does not seem pleased to see me.

There's this, too:

LF, when he's telling her about Harry:

Soft sandy hair, deep blue eyes, and dimples when he smiles.

Harry, as she's following LF's instructions to touch him:

And when he smiles, he has the nicest dimples.

Edited by Le Cygne

Yes it does. Waynwood tells him there's a match for him with a bastard if he should consent to it.

I was assuming the earlier poster meant that the Waynwoods had told him that she was really Sansa (for the record, I don't think they know that), because the Waynwoods telling him that he's engaged to Alayne is not some theory, because everybody knows about that.  It's public knowledge (for some reason; that wasn't what it sounded like was going to happen in AFFC).

I think Lady Waynwood knows and has dropped hints to Harry that there is more to "Alayne" than is presented, but I think it's a moot point, as I don't believe this scheme will go anywhere.

Seriously, has there been a time in this series where a character says, "X and Y will happen and this will result in Z." ?