How would you rate episode 501?

Ran

How would rate episode 501?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Because Mance should have been played by a younger more vibrant actor.

Why?

You beat me to it. I mean, why not an older actor since that's what they've done with virtually every single character.

Edited by kissdbyfire

Because in the books, Mance is a cheerful, charismatic fellow who enjoys poetry and playing music. In GOT, they simply made him look like every single other person in Westeros. Dirty, somber, and ill-tempered. One of several "minor" castings that were done all wrong, including Craster, Daario, Osha, Asha Greyjoy, Talisa (no clue why it was not Jeyne Westerling), Bloodraven, etc.

And a character cannot be all those things if he's played by an actor who is older than 30? 40?

Because in the books, Mance is a cheerful, charismatic fellow who enjoys poetry and playing music. In GOT, they simply made him look like every single other person in Westeros. Dirty, somber, and ill-tempered. One of several "minor" castings that were done all wrong, including Craster, Daario, Osha, Asha Greyjoy, Talisa (no clue why it was not Jeyne Westerling), Bloodraven, etc.

Bloodraven? He's been in what - 20 seconds of screentime? Why do you think his casting was all wrong?

9/10 Because:

I loved the Varys and Tyrion stuff.

Littlefinger's scheemes seems to be going as planned, and Sansa is right alongside him.

Both John Snow and Stannis are taking initiative. Also I like Mellisandre doing her wicked things, or could they be good things....

I don't care so much about Daneerys at this point, but that story might pick up again at some point in Winds of Winter or the show. Whatever comes first.

What I'm most excited to see going forward is the exploits of Arya and the Dorne Stuff. I can't wait for the rest of the season.

Also I expect more shocking Deaths than Mance Rayder.

Bloodraven? He's been in what - 20 seconds of screentime? Why do you think his casting was all wrong?

They did it all wrong. In the show, he is some old dude sitting in a cave on a throne of roots. Imagine how awesome it would have been if he was made to look like he did in the book? It has been the casting and/or the execution of the minor cast members that have been rather disappointing.

They did it all wrong. In the show, he is some old dude sitting in a cave on a throne of roots. Imagine how awesome it would have been if he was made to look like he did in the book? It has been the casting and/or the execution of the minor cast members that have been rather disappointing.

Def would've been quite epic if he had a root through the eye.....

I also believe the Mance character was miscast. In addition to his other talents and attributes he's supposed to be physically formidable, and a badass fighter. Jon (who is fairly badass himself) actually crosses swords with him in the books (while Mance is disguised as Rattleshirt) and discovers he is no match for him. Though I don't have a problem with Hinds's acting in the role as it is written in the show.

I also believe the Mance character was miscast. In addition to his other talents and attributes he's supposed to be physically formidable, and a badass fighter. Jon (who is fairly badass himself) actually crosses swords with him in the books (while Mance is disguised as Rattleshirt) and discovers he is no match for him. Though I don't have a problem with Hinds's acting in the role as it is written in the show.

You are mistaken. When Jon first meets Mance (and Tormund, the Thenn, Val, Dalla, etc), he thinks the Magnar is the KBtW. And then we get his physical description, which is totally unremarkable: middling height, slender, brown hair almost completely grey now.

Typo

Edited by kissdbyfire

Glad they are showing the Sparrows since they are more than a little important. Too bad the original Lancel was not able to be cast. Another annoying thing that keeps happening. But it is awesome that Kevin Lannister is back!

He is the original Lancel actor.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/game_of_thrones_season_5_lancel_lannister_return_hair-2015-04

Because Mance should have been played by a younger more vibrant actor.

They originally approached Dominic West for Mance, but he turned it down, not having any knowledge of ASOIAF. To this day, when I read Mance, I see Mr. West's face.

Why?

Mance became king by defeating some of the leaders of the Free Folk in battle. Put tv Mance and tv Tormund side by side, and it becomes puzzling as to how that would happen. I can't see tvMance taking on tvAlliser in last season the way tvTormund did, imo.

Edited by roxWolfox

This was actually hard to watch at times. I can't stand Loras, neither Daarinew. Jon and Mance saved the day, I like their chemistry. We will get no Rattlemance though, too bad. Gave it a 6/10, just because it's Game of Thrones and I like many actors, sets. Camera was good, too. Even though I usually enjoy set up episodes, for this episode scripting alone would get a 1/10 rating from me.

It was fairly good, as far as opening episodes go.

The Good:

Acting improvements - I felt there was a marked improvement in the quality of acting almost across the boards. It was particularly noticeable in Meereen, which had a weak season 4 as far as acting standards go. Emilia was drastically improved, and I liked that we got her "regal" acting style as well as her more nuanced emotional style. She may not be my favourite actress, but I definitely think she has improved, and it gives me hope for what is one of my favourite arcs in the books - Dany's time in Meereen, and especially her final two chapters of A Dance with Dragons. Also of note in Meereen was Nathalie Emmanuel, who was really great. I'm not a huge fan of them aging up Missandei, as it kind of ruins the relationship she has with Dany, and I am no huge fan of this Grey Worm/Missandei relationship the show has going on either, but in this episode I really felt that Nathalie sold the idea to me, that she cares greatly for Grey Worm, but is confused about what she should do/how it would work with him being a eunuch.

Ciarin Hinds - An absolute stand out performance, and definitely the highlight of the episode. His scene(s) were incredible, and it just makes me sad that he has been so criminally underused until now. Hats off though, he stole the episode for me.

The Dragons - Well, I'll start off by saying: yipee! The dragons were named! :D I'll then move on to say that I was really impressed by that entire scene, and thought the CGI on them was awesome. I was really happy how much the show has had them grow.

Returning Characters - I was thrilled to see the return of Kevan and Lancel Lannister. Two rather good actors who play their parts well, and they did a brilliant job in their roles in this episode.

The Bad:

Loras - Yes. Loras is gay. You have used this point to make something bad happen to him/his family in the past when it was not necessary to do so. Please, we don't need a repeat. As for characterisation...what characterisation, lol!

The Vale - While acting has largely improved across the board, I'm still dreadfully disappointed in Aiden Gillen. His acting really is not good on this show. That isn't my only issue with the Vale though. I also found myself a bit frustrated by the Brienne and Podrick scene, because I just feel they are turning Brienne into some horrible, bitter, bitchy person, rather than allowing her to be our example of a true knight as she is in the books. Yes, yes, I know. Books are books, show is the show, but I do feel that the show could benefit from showing that not everyone is an embittered monster, and Brienne was a great opportunity to do that, which it sadly looks like they have decided to forgo.

Cringey line - Okay, so this is just a minor thing. And I'm actually quite glad there was only the one example. But Melisandre's "Are you a virgin?" line just made me cringe. Ah well, at least there were more good lines than bad.

Just bad in almost every possible way.

I really enjoyed first 3 seasons

Season 4 I felt it started to slip.

And now I think it's off the rails bad.

Too many reasons to count but main reason is I think the writing for scenes that have strayed from books is very poor. The whole episode felt like setting the stage for characters even though nothing was really happening like Brienne and Pod, Sansa and Peter, Loras and Marg, Missandei and GW. I do hope it gets better.