How would you rate episode 501?

Ran

How would rate episode 501?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

For me, not only it was an excellent opener, but also one of the most consistent and well-paced episodes the show has ever had. So I gave it a 10.

The Mance part was a bit illogical probably, but I think illogical decisions can be expected from people who are about to die. Kneeling before Stannis would destroy all his legacy.

396 votes in, 6.91 average, 6.99 with top/bottom 5% removed. It looks like this is officially going to be the lowest rated episode of the series, according to the poll results.

That's interesting. Even though I only gave this a 7, I don't think it was anywhere near the worst episode of the series (that'd probably go to one of the mid-season 3 clunkers; full of Theon torture and stalling for the Red Wedding). I wonder if many people, myself included, were so hyped for the return of the show we forgot how slow-paced the premieres usually are and ended up being harsher than usual.

I voted 8.

Whatever I may fear that future episodes bring, this one was entertaining and I enjoyed it very much.

The two points off are for the Dornish birthmark scene which lived up to its full cringe potential and some inconsistencies (Cersei's fourth child, Varys in S1 having been okay with assassinating Dany, Stannis knows it was Roose Bolton who killed Robb, Dany is now afraid of fire).

For sanity's sake, I judged it on its own, as the show Game of Thrones, not as the adaptation of ASoIaF... because then the result would be much, much worse.

I gave it an 8. Some parts dragged (I am sorry but this unsullied 'friendship/romance' thing is a waste of time) while others seemed off key (the Jaime/Circe conversation) but I loved all at Castle Black. I never minded Hinds as Mance and he struck me as a dude who would die rather than kneel. Negotiations between Stannis and Mance and Jon were all good and Jon putting Mance out of his misery was a solid scene. The 8 is because there has to be some set-up and some arranging of the furniture, if you will, in order to get 'going'.

396 votes in, 6.91 average, 6.99 with top/bottom 5% removed. It looks like this is officially going to be the lowest rated episode of the series, according to the poll results.

rather surprised by this actually. The episode had its problems but I didnt think it was so bad as to get a worst episode rating. Though, in fairness, 6.9 isnt bad at all, and close enough to my own feelivs of the episode.

Maybe this just shows how highly previoua seasons have been rated, whefher rightly or not.

That's interesting. Even though I only gave this a 7, I don't think it was anywhere near the worst episode of the series (that'd probably go to one of the mid-season 3 clunkers; full of Theon torture and stalling for the Red Wedding). I wonder if many people, myself included, were so hyped for the return of the show we forgot how slow-paced the premieres usually are and ended up being harsher than usual.

No, it isn't the worst episode of the series, but it's probably the worst opener of the series. I can't remember season 3, but i do remember 1,2 and 4 openers and this episode is much inferior to all of those, very much inferior to last year's opener. Compared with the cold opening of Tywin and ice and ending with Arya and the Hound....this episode doesn't compare, I thought the flashback fell very flat as an opener, but maybe the TV only audience had a different reaction, and everything else was sort of ho hum except Mance's death.

No, it isn't the worst episode of the series, but it's probably the worst opener of the series. I can't remember season 3, but i do remember 1,2 and 4 openers and this episode is much inferior to all of those, very much inferior to last year's opener. Compared with the cold opening of Tywin and ice and ending with Arya and the Hound....this episode doesn't compare, I thought the flashback fell very flat as an opener, but maybe the TV only audience had a different reaction, and everything else was sort of ho hum except Mance's death.

I'd say this was far better than the opener of season 2 and 3. But it's not the worst episode of the series. Not a chance. Among my favorite 15 for sure.

I dunno if it counts for something, but friends who last year were very excited in twitter about the show, commenting everything, were now... absent. It doesn't help, I suppose, that a few of them started to read the books and enjoyed them. And all the comments are now "this show is terrible" or "there are so many changes". Looks like many of them did not even see the show live :dunno:

This is surprising to me as well. On the other hand, I gave it a 5, so...

Granted, I'm new to the forums and the rating system. From watching the videos, I would say that my scale is closer to Linda's than it is to Elio's. I think I remember them saying that Elio's lowest rating for an episode has been a 6, while Linda has had some 2s and 3s. I would say that most of the episodes of the series would probably fall into the 5-7 range. It takes a lot for me to rate something 8-10 or 1-4. It has to be seriously awesome or really terrible. After rewatching the episode I would probably adjust up to a 6. It's not a terrible episode, but I didn't feel that it was a great episode, either.

I need to watch it again, but while I was totally stoked to have the show back, it failed to live up to my expectations. I get that everyone is in a state of shock over last season's developments, but I can only give it a five. Never thought I'd miss Arya, but there you go.

This is surprising to me as well. On the other hand, I gave it a 5, so...

I ended up going with a 7.

It's definitely not deserving of the worst episode of the series. Besides being structurally reminiscent of late-season episodes, it's getting unfairly knocked on due to upcoming alterations from the books, rather than letting it stand on its own as an episode. As people get more apprehensive about where the show is going, you'll convert more of the traditional "omg it was amazing. 9, 10." voters down into 7's and 8's. And some of the traditional 7's and 8's will drop down into 5's and 6's.

Very small changes appearing in this episode have cast a very large shadow.

Are you sure? Your statistics don't seem quite accurate, I believe there were worst episodes of the entire series than the Season 5 opener.

Jon Con,

I have averages for all episodes. The lowest rated episode after this one is "Breaker of Chains" from last year, the episode that featured the infamous Jaime-Cersei sept scene, and that got a 6.98. Personally, I thought that episode was rated too critically because of poor direction and editing decisions.

Jon Con,

I have averages for all episodes. The lowest rated episode after this one is "Breaker of Chains" from last year, the episode that featured the infamous Jaime-Cersei sept scene, and that got a 6.98. Personally, I thought that episode was rated too critically because of poor direction and editing decisions.

Do you also have info as to the number of votes for each episode? I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference as far as averages are concerned, but I'd be interested to see how they have changed as the series has progressed. Has the numbers of voters stayed pretty consistent, or has it grown over the years?