How would you rate episode 501?

Ran

How would rate episode 501?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

On a side note, I'm shocked at how many people like Daario better since his recasting. I never particularly liked him in the books (probably in part because Dany chapters don't do a whole lot for me in general), but in my mind, his personality was always metal head. The original casting I laughed out loud when I saw him, while he didn't look as described in the books, but it was like they'd shipped him straight out of some Norwegian death metal group to be in the show. His casting actually turned me around some on the character. Recast Daario is just another boring generic guy, he has no personality. Love or hate Daario, the guy was supposed to be bold, to stand out. New Daario has all the charm and personality of a high school math teacher.

I would try and listen closer to Huisman's Daario, because a lot of his acting is so pitch perfect for the new Daario they've created. Trademark Daario in either the books or the show is saying one thing, but really saying another. Huisiman comes off nice and gentle, but he is creepy as hell underneath. If you listen closely you'll realize Daario is telling Dany he firmly believes selling children into slavery is a good parenting method.

Edited by AdmiralKyrd

I would try and listen closer to Huisman's Daario, because a lot of his acting is so pitch perfect for the new Daario they've created. Trademark Daario in either the books or the show is saying one thing, but really saying another. Huisiman comes off nice and gentle, but he is creepy as hell underneath. If you listen closely you'll realize Daario is telling Dany he firmly believes selling children into slavery is a good method of parenting.

I don't really get that from him and don't see that the audience is meant to think he's creepy, the show is not very big on subtext. People thought "Talisa" was a spy, she wasn't. People thought Shae was pretending to love Tyrion, she wasn't. I think Show Daario is supposed to come off as charming.

I don't really get that from him and don't see that the audience is meant to think he's creepy, the show is not very big on subtext. People thought "Talisa" was a spy, she wasn't. People thought Shae was pretending to love Tyrion, she wasn't. I think Show Daario is supposed to come off as charming.

I think mostly of us who believed Talisa to be a spy were simply trying to rationalize or explain why they replaced Jeyne. At the end, they simply wanted to play the old cliché of Noble guy falling for pesky independent even if completely anachronistic woman, despite GRRM himself said he didn't like that specific cliché. We knew Jeyne wasn't a traitor nor a willingly participant in the Red Wedding and seducing Robb, so, Talisa exist because she WAS part of it. We were wrong.

Daario... well... we still don't know what's his game in books. Some -me included- believe he's honest about caring for Dany, even though he doesn't love her in the way she would want. So, he might end up betraying her if he finds something that fits him better. Until he does, he's still around Dany.

I am a bit late to the thread and to the website. First post here.

7/10

Good start to the show. It was a "put people in place and time" sort of episode and that isn't a bad thing after being off a year.

Varys/Tyrion. They could just have their own show for my likes.

Da Dragons = da awesomeness.

Young Cersie - badass from the womb it appears.

So long Mance. I think he should have bent that knee, but also agree he would have lost the Wildings at that point. He took one up the fiery arse for the team. And Jon Snow. He knows something!!

Why is it that immediately after each show I am SO ready for the next episode? I don't want it to end. There is something to the saying "leave 'em wanting more". Well done D & D and HBO!! It works on me.

This board doesn't seem to be the "Hi I am a noob" sort of place, but well...

HI I AM A NOOB. *sits back down and thumbs worn copy of ADWD* :bowdown:

Welcome LadyFionavar. :cheers:

I chuckled at the bolded/underlined part, as I suffer from the same type of anticipation.

FYI, there is an Introduction Thread in the Miscellaneous General Chatter section of Westeros.org.

Here's a link: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/37123-introductions/

Enjoy! :)

It's been pointed out that we saw only two of the questions in this scene so I hope there will be another flashback scene later this season.

No, we heard all three questions.

1. I'm promised to the prince. When will we marry?

2. But I will be queen?

3. Will the king and I have children?

It would be kind of funny if, after seasons of avoiding flashbacks, they end up needing to show this one twice.

Gave it a 6 but 6.5 is probably more accurate. A handful of unnecessary bits mixed in with some decent table-setting for the season. The scene with Mance and Jon and the burning were terrific acting, filmmaking, and drama, even if Mance's reasons were a bit odd.

I don't know why it makes me so mad when people have the nerve to rate any episode bellow 5. Have you ever seen any other tv-show? Most of it is shit compered to GoT. How can people enjoy complete dog shit like Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory, and hate on GoT?

If the ratings go from 1 to 10, why should we be limited to rate it in the 5 to 10 range?

And comparing it to other shows doesn't prevent that. It all comes with the expectations you have for each show. I'm certainly not asking a Family guy episode the same things I demand of a GoT one, but they may end with the same rating.

I don't know why it makes me so mad when people have the nerve to rate any episode bellow 5. Have you ever seen any other tv-show? Most of it is shit compered to GoT. How can people enjoy complete dog shit like Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory, and hate on GoT?

I think quite a few posters here start from the premise of how closely the episode adheres to the books - which is as valid a starting point as any. It's not part of my own criteria - I look for different things - but some posters look for characterisation, motives, plotlines etc. which reflect the books, and get upset when they don't. There's room for all. :D

As usual I give the show 3 points for the acting, 3 points for production design and musical score, 2 points for cinematography* and general visual design and final editing , 1 point for directing and 1 point for adaptation.

Adaptation is a subjective thing , since I am a book reader, so it's just vibs , after two viewings I give a 10.

I would subtract a point for adaptation if I could figure out how to improve the problem of pounding 1000 pounds of prose narrative into a 5 pound visual narrative bag of ~ one hour.

This is a problem I have seen no one present a solution for, given the constraint that there ,seems set in stone, only 10 episodes per season.

I have not been able to do better than Dave, Dan and Bryan on this score.

Not that I think it could not be done.

*There is some yahoo who thinks the cinematography is bad, tho gives no reasons, so don't know what to say since that critic gave no evaluation or rational.

Edited by boojam

How do you know they are rating it and not just trolling it?

(I like Big Bang Theory.)

Edited by boojam

4. Have to realize it's comparing GoT to the high bar they've set, not other TV shows. If I were comparing it to other shows, every episode would be a 10. :p

-Sexified Hollywood version of Maggie the Frog.
-Loras continuing to be a shallow caricature of homosexuality.

On a positive note, I thought Mance's death scene was extremely well done (pun intended). His dialog with Jon was phenomenal.

I know this might be incredibly to believe for you but many people don't like GoT and believe it's a silly show. A few friends have actually watched and can't see what's the hype about as the dialogue is simple and the characters are cliché. It has nothing to do with what others watch and that they don't. It's a matter of preferences.

I know this might be incredibly to believe for you but many people don't like GoT and believe it's a silly show. A few friends have actually watched and can't see what's the hype about as the dialogue is simple and the characters are cliché. It has nothing to do with what others watch and that they don't. It's a matter of preferences.

Then what show do your friends watch now? Everything is cliche nowadays.

I understand that some people don't get hooked on it, but why are there people tormenting themselves to watch it for 5 seasons? :dunno:

I like GoT, TWD, and TBBT. :P

Apparently the 'many' don't make much of dent in the ~20 million (in the USA) who do, any explanation of that?

My wife does not watch not because of dialog or characters, she likes the production values and the characters and even the story. She just can't take such a big story fragmented into so many pieces in 10 hrs of time.

I guess that takes a willing-suspension-of-narrative-satisfaction to like the show.

Seems a lot of people go with that.

For this episode :

Over on IMDB the weighted average vote is 9.5 / 10.

As always they don't publish what 'weighted' means, but at least they try to compensate for any biases or hanky panky.

The sample size is 749262 that's very large.