How would you rate episode 501?

Ran

How would rate episode 501?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 9.

I loved it. Perhaps the anticipation is getting greater now the story is getting towards where it passes the books (I read all books between 1st and 2nd series).

Very interested to see where they are going with some of the arcs, even where it's widely divergent from the books; Varys with Tyrion!

Still not hugely enjoying the whole mother of dragons / 'who's queen' attitude, but I found some of her chapters tough going in the books as well. I do feel they've improved the Daario character as I found him a bit silly in the books.

I can only imagine how much better the series would be if I didn’t have foreknowledge from the books (which I also love, so don’t regret reading). In particular I think unsullied throat cut scene would have been a surprise / shock if I hadn’t known what was coming.

JonCon doesn't have to account for them. Someone talked about the poll results and he responded about them. Over 100 people -- 21% of the poll -- have rated it 5 or lower, which is arguably "many people" in the context of the poll.

Also, that's the overall series rating, boojam. The individual episode rating is 8.6, according to IMDB, from 5502 users.

Edited by Ran

JonCon doesn't have to account for them. Someone talked about the poll results and he responded about them. Over 100 people -- 21% of the poll -- have rated it 5 or lower, which is arguably "many people" in the context of the poll.

Also, that's the overall series rating, boojam. The individual episode rating is 8.6, according to IMDB, from 5502 users.

Well I blew that! Didn't notice I was looking at the whole series.

Well polls can be a hard thing to judge since only have those motivated to vote which only samples those.

I find polls interesting but put more stock in the critics ratings. I know you don't like the name Rotten Tomatoes I don't either, but they got a 100/100 over there out of 26 critics 'poll'. What I like about that , and you do it too, is that give an analysis and rational for their rating. (Others on this thread do that to but are only a subset of voters.) I can't say all critics are perceptive , Mike Hale at the NY Times is at least fair to the show, but almost seem grudgingly enthused about his evaluations.(The New York Times has been funny in the head about the show and I can only think it's editorial policy of the Entertainment department.)

Metacritic gives a 'meta score' of 91/100 for 29 critics. Both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic have some kind of scoring criteria which they don't explain. Still if one has the patience to read the critical essays they do lay out their rational with analysis, and I really appreciate that.

One of my favorite critical analyses is by Myles McNutt

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/game-thrones-experts-wars-come-217875

now over at A.V. Club, very comprehensive.

Of course maybe the best poll is those who still vote with their pocket books (thankfully that still a majority).

Supposedly this year HBO will give even better average gross per episode (maybe even the non USA data too).

Edited by boojam

as i sit trying to decide if this epi was good or bad.....

yes i agree 1st epi left something to be desired ...but i am looking forward to arya and sansa's next happening....

Nice avatar lol.

thanks my brother...it is a navy dawg for my spamperical members suiting up in their life jackets....and wondering if they shall win or lose in the next epi ...

I need to give some praise to the New York Times.
Unlike the printed page and Mike Hale's (kinda ok season review) there is the electronic Arts Beat Blog by Jeremy Egner.
Every week I think.
Egner gives a detailed episode run down , it's kinda hip-breezy, Jeremy seems really interested in the show , seems to be a book reader, all in all positive.
So the Grey Lady can kind of send mixed messages. :read:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/game-of-thrones-season-5-premiere-recap/?_r=0

Edited by boojam

Why make Maggy the Frog more attractive though? An 'old crone' look would make her more creepy. I can understand a regular character -- that's the nature of television, but she's just in the one scene (so far). They lampshaded the change though, so maybe the producers through they were avoiding a cliche.

Only got to watch it today (was away in no-electricity-land for a few days) and I give it 7 out of 10.

Loved the Wall scenes and Tyrion&Varys scenes, otherwise it was just setting up the thing for the rest of the season.

I'm getting a bit bored with Dany but hopefully her storyline will pick up.

Dissappointed with the glimpse of Brienne & Pod.

And where the hell is the Sansa storyline going?!? :o I'll have to rewatch last season's episodes to make some sense of it.

Anyway, I'm confused, I've been re-reading the books and forgetting how the show diverges and have to get into "show-mode" now. :D

Only got to watch it today (was away in no-electricity-land for a few days) and I give it 7 out of 10.

Loved the Wall scenes and Tyrion&Varys scenes, otherwise it was just setting up the thing for the rest of the season.

I'm getting a bit bored with Dany but hopefully her storyline will pick up.

Dissappointed with the glimpse of Brienne & Pod.

And where the hell is the Sansa storyline going?!? :o I'll have to rewatch last season's episodes to make some sense of it.

Anyway, I'm confused, I've been re-reading the books and forgetting how the show diverges and have to get into "show-mode" now. :D

Once, I was confused because I hadn't read the books; then I was confused because I had.

Gave it a seven.

Great TV. A few scenes I didn't care for in ep01, and honestly it's an episode designed to set us up for the rest of the season so I wasn't expecting it to be extremely exciting. With how they're setting things up, I have a feeling there will be a few 9 and 10s this year (on my rating scale, at least).

For a second I thought that first Unsullied guy was supposed to be a new Grey Worm replacement, which is why I though they were dragging out the scene. Instead I got a nice little surprise and at the same time, felt a great amount of relief. I don't normally feel relieved when someone

gets their throat slit

7/10

Good opener, but could have been better.

What I liked:

- Jon and Stannis

- Tyrion and Varys

- The Unsullied

- Dragons

What was "not so good"

- Peter going all Yoda on Sansa

- Brienne/Pod

- Daario

Completely agree with the Brienne scene, and I normally really like her. It was awkward and...unneeded? The scene was just "meh" to me.

The Varys scenes get a little repetitive to me, but maybe that's only because they showed that scene in the trailer.

5/10

Nothing reeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy happened...

THE GOOD

- White Rat wanting a cuddle

-Tween Cersei is just sassy

-Mance and Jon scenes

-Peter Dinklage. That is all.

THE BAD

-Sweetrobin and his swprdmanship

- Brienne and Pod just missing Sansa in the Vale

-Cersei and Jamie acting like small children

-Dany still in Meereen, chilling in her pyramid

THE UGLY

-Mel and the virgin comment...

-Emilia's acting

This episode was below-average for a Game of Thrones opener. I voted 6. The pacing was off, somehow. It was a short episode but felt long. The plot changes from the book to the show don't bother me, but some of the characterizations were off, as Ran discussed in his video recap. I liked the scenes with Mance and Stannis. I missed Illyrio and more exploration of his background with Varys.

Overall, the episode was still quite enjoyable, but below par.

Edited by roryclague