How would you rate episode 501?

Ran

How would rate episode 501?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8/10

I thought it was a decent start to the season. The tonality was strange in that it felt like a continuation of season four rather than the beginning of a new journey. Thankfully, Slovis didn't repeat Alex Graves' mediocrity: I think this episode boasted some of the most interesting direction in the series to date. The production elements have improved a tenfold. Both the statue falling and the dragons looked great. I really liked Mance's death, Dany visiting the dragons, and Tyrion arriving at Penots.

Loras' material was awful.

Edited by Ye_Olde_Huorn

I really enjoyed this episode: 9/10

Michael Slovis' was amazing in his directorial debut for the series. Some of the moments that he captured were incredible! The reflection of Young Cersei and Melara in the water, Tyrion's disorientation in the crate, Mance-Jon and Cersei-Lancel are just a few of the highlights from his direction. His style reminds me of Alik Sakharov (my favourite Thrones director)...

In fact, this entire episode reminded me of "Mockingbird" for some reason. It was great to get some character development for some of the side characters such as Varys and Daario. I loved the exchange between Tyrion and Varys regarding his shit - not for the comedy value but the analogy.

One of the reasons that this episode didn't get a 10 is for the Brienne scene. I find Brienne quite dislikeable in the show, she is forever bitching and moaning at Pod. I really don't know when this change in character happened, I loved her in Season 3.

And the whole thing deserves a bonus point for the Sons of the Harpy... those masks are beautiful!

With 155 votes in, the episode has an average of 6.92, 7 with the top 5% and bottom 5% removed.

Bit surprised. This would make it by far the lowest rated premiere episode on the forum, and so far the lowest rated episode ever, lower even than Breaker of Chains (the Jaime-Cersei sept episode) and only the second episode of the series to go under a 7 average normally.

That's strange. But what are these 5% you're removing?

It's a differently structured season premiere. Here is a list of the premieres, and the screentime of their longest location.

S1: 30:17

S2: 21:02

S3: 20:38

S4: 30:46

S5: 14:29

They're mostly good scenes in 5.01, its just they don't have a lot of room to breathe.

There seems to be a very, very direct correlation between that statistic and how the episodes are received. As I said, S2 and S3 were the lowest premieres to date (averaging 7.58 each). The fact that S5 ends up having nearly 33% less time for its focused area surely explains part of the dissatisfaction.

7. It was OK. Solid for a season opener. Cersei, Tyrion, Margaery, and Jon were pretty good, and the ending was also good. Gave me a Last of the Mohicans vibe, which I liked. Didn't like the cartoony thing they did where Brienne and Pod just miss Sansa. Dany was meh.

The flashback was good as well. BTW, was that Oona Chaplin playing Maggy the Frog? Looked like her quite a bit.

It started off epic. It really did. Little Cersei was perfect. Lord Tywin's is the third saddest death of the show. The lannister clan is broken and nobody has any idea what the heck to do now. Then... It kinda got boring. And more boring. And even more boring, if possible.

Loras... What was the point of that? Sweetrobin at Lord NobodyCares's? And Sansa's carriage went right past brienne... It's not like I even get frustrated about that anymore... I honestly never cared for show-Mance, he's nothing like in the books and an absolutely mediocre character you forget the moment the camera turns away. More night's watch training... oh Daenerys refuses to open the pits because she gets stupider and stupider with every season. No fault with the show makers, GRRM is responsible for that. Oh at least Daario gets her to release the Dragons. Oops, the dragons are a little pissed. Quite understandable. Emilia couldn't pull off that scene. And how stupid is it to walk down there without a bloody torch? All in all... Really really really meh. Oh and there was Tyrion too. I liked Varys. Tyrion is as bad as he was in the books. So, little cersei and Lannister struggles - 9/10, Varys 6/10, naked Daario 7/10, dragons 6/10 rest of the show: 3/10

Edited by RhaenysBalerion

I'll give it 9.

So far my favorite season opener. I love the first flashback in the series.

Good: Flashback. Kevan Lannister, Stannis on the Wall, Jon and Mance scene and also Mereen scene, destruction of the Harpy statue from the trailers and murder of the Unsullied

Bad: Loras scene, no Aegon -_-'

Even though much is changed from the books I like it but still could do better.

I don't get the point of the flashback in the show, with no Melara in the well, and no valonqar, it doesn't seem important enough of an event to color the rest of her life or merit inclusion in the show.

I gave it a 6, okay, kind of meh. Tyrion and Varys were good as expected.

I don't get the point of the flashback in the show, with no Melara in the well, and no valonqar, it doesn't seem important enough of an event to color the rest of her life or merit inclusion in the show.

Like the threat of Margery possibly casting her down? Yeah, I don't predict any showdown between Margery and Cersei this season. They'll get along just fine.

And Sansa's carriage went right past brienne... It's not like I even get frustrated about that anymore...

How many roads you think there are connecting important places in a vale? The terrain is constricted because of the mountains. Brienne went to the Vale to look for Sansa because her aunt lived there. Sansa went to the Vale because her aunt lived there. They are both traveling. You won't have more than one road joining the same castles and towns because there is no room for additional roads. So of course they are going to cross each other along the way, because they can not use different roads.

Honestly, I think that most people don't care. But if they do, then they should also probably be aware of some basic facts from history.

I mean... 'one has to know their medievalism'? Really?

Really. Just ask you friends if they know what you assume they know. Ask your greengrocer. Ask your hairdresser. Ask your bus driver.