[Book Spoilers] EP501 Discussion

Ran

The leak seems to have killed discussion. Episode threads in years past were many dozens of pages deep before the episode concluded.

The only thing I have to add is that I think they might come back to Maggy the Frog's prophecy later on.

that's what i was thinking. while i didn't like that storyline, it was pretty important to Cersei.

The leak seems to have killed discussion. Episode threads in years past were many dozens of pages deep before the episode concluded.

The only thing I have to add is that I think they might come back to Maggy the Frog's prophecy later on.

That's what I think, too. I think mentioning the Valonqar now might create some confusion and they'd have to mention it again later on.

That's what I think, too. I think mentioning the Valonqar now might create some confusion and they'd have to mention it again later on.

Ya the scene felt like they cut before it was done and we will be going back to it. It is tough not knowing what the hell is going on with some of these plots that are completely off the rail. Feel like an unsullied.

Indeed. But I can't see why some people would watch the leaked episodes since they're gonna wait for 4 weeks until the new episode comes out.

The debate between Mance and Jon was absurd. Mance was just about to invade Westeros to march south and it would be a war he knew he could not win. So along comes, here is a great deal that will save a lot of wildlings, specifically women and children. They get land, and made citizens of Westeros and the men just have to do the same thing they were doing but for a different king. "Ummm No I won't except." Why? "Cause"

WTF was that? That was D&D going we don't want this character on the show anymore, bye bye. I don't want to help Stannis, I don't want to help the Wildlings, I just wnt to die. That's pride "no" then what is it? "Cause" So mance would rather let tens of thousands of women and children die, then bend the knee? Nice. And why? Because he didn't want to fight a war, that was already going to be fought by him. What a train wreck of a scene, and Jon who is usually good at negotiating in the books, is basically like, well ok then. Next time just skip the scene and kill the dude for attacking Westeros.

Indeed. But I can't see why some people would watch the leaked episodes since they're gonna wait for 4 weeks until the new episode comes out.

For the same reason people read ADwD in a matter of days knowing it might take years for TWoW to come out. With this much build up, instant gratification seems a very pleasant choice. I for one am fighting my urge to download the leaked episodes with all my strength haha.

I had forgotten how much I loved this show. I clapped my hands when I saw Lancel in the recap and gave out a sound that was a mix between a gasp and squeal when I realized that the first scene was Cersei and Melara going to Maggy the Frog. Is this the first prophecy they've include in this show? I cannot remember. Glad they kept it. Could this mean that this is the only prophecy that actually matters? Does the valonquar not actually matter?

Maggy the Frog kind of looks like Osha

That was my thought exactly! Plus she was way too young IMO. I do wish they'd left in Melara's lack of fortune and the fact that death is in the room. As a long-time denier of Cersei-killed-Melara who has been convinced, I missed it. However, I get why they left it out.

They impressively manage to work full frontal nudity from the prostitute in even when she's being hired for an entirely nonsexual task.

but that is in the books

IIRC, in the books, the Unsullied guy goes to the brothel to be hugged. My interpretation was that it was not about sex, but rather about affection, and there is no evidence that she would have been all or partially nude.

"Are you a virgin?"

"No."

"Good."

She's subtle that red priestess.

That's foreshadowing for you! And an HBO promise of nudity to come.

Didn't Lancel used to be blond?

Like all the Lannister men, his hair turns from blond to brown when the showrunners decide we've forgotten that the color of Lannister hair was a key plot point at earlier in the show.

Good opener. I liked that they focused on a few stories, rather than trying to include everything.

Glad for the return of Kevan and Lancel. Sad for the departure of Mance. H would see more e barely appeared in the show and I was hoping that we would see more of him this season. :(

Was horrified that Dany has apparently not been to visit her dragons since she locked them up. WTF?

Although in past seasons, the straying from the books has annoyed me. Now, it gives me some hope that we will be a little less spoiled by the show for the eventual last 2 books.

Edited by nara

The debate between Mance and Jon was absurd. Mance was just about to invade Westeros to march south and it would be a war he knew he could not win. So along comes, here is a great deal that will save a lot of wildlings, specifically women and children. They get land, and made citizens of Westeros and the men just have to do the same thing they were doing but for a different king. "Ummm No I won't except." Why? "Cause"

WTF was that? That was D&D going we don't want this character on the show anymore, bye bye. I don't want to help Stannis, I don't want to help the Wildlings, I just wnt to die. That's pride "no" then what is it? "Cause" So mance would rather let tens of thousands of women and children die, then bend the knee? Nice. And why? Because he didn't want to fight a war, that was already going to be fought by him. What a train wreck of a scene, and Jon who is usually good at negotiating in the books, is basically like, well ok then. Next time just skip the scene and kill the dude for attacking Westeros.

Nailed it.

Here's the weekly "Why Game of Thrones sucked tonight"

1.) They left out the entire fucking point of the Maggy the Frog prophecy scene, the Volanqar. Why bother with the flashback if you're going to cut the most important part?!

2.) No stench at Tywin's funeral, way to take out the fucking best part.

3.) No Illyrio despite staying at his fucking house

4.) Varys just casually revealing his organization and its motives to Tyrion, fuck off D&D. And what's this defending the downtrodden nonsense from him? He's a fucking Targ loyalist. Not to mention they're having him go off on Tyrion adventures instead of staying in King's Landing and owning shit up like he should. Fucking character assassination.

5.) Missandei and Grey Worm bullshit STILL. STILL. STILLLLLLL. Really D&D?! You have to cut Euron, Victarion, Wyman, Aegon, Connington, and nearly everything else that makes the most-ASOS books interesting yet you still have the time to include fucking Missandei and Grey Worm scissoring?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

6.) Characterizing the Faith Militant has some sort of fanatical homophobic ISIS instead of the charitable people's army of war refugees they are in the book. D&D are unable to place themselves in a medieval society, instead inserting the "Hurrrr religion bad" 2015 worldview into somewhere it doesn't even belong. Believe it or not, the Faith Militant/Sparrows are not meant to be antagonists unless you're Cersei.

7.) Oh look, it's Loras. I wonder how long until D&D reference that he's gay. Oh, that was about 1 minute. You realize in the books it's just heavily implied Loras is gay and he has an actual personality/character traits besides being a running gay joke/reference? D&D are unable to take characters outside of their diversity quota mold.

8.) Brienne actually ran into BOTH Stark girls by sheer coincidence. Do D&D think Westeros is the size of Disneyland or something?!

9.) What the fuck is with this bullshit Sansa-Winterfell storyline. You know they're going to Winterfell based on the trailer. So Stop trying to force "Dark Sansa" (I didn't even coin this fucking bullshit cringey term) down our throats and stop making LF out to be an idiot. Fucking strong independent women Sophie Turner bad acting bullcrap.

10.) Mereen ALREADY FUCKING SURRENDERED. BRAVO D&D. There goes the entire battle of book 5 and half of its material. Why even bother with the Sons of the Harpy when Yunkai is doing nothing?! This is so nonsensical, first they're desperate for Dany material to adapt then they take out her biggest fucking challenge after arriving in Slaver's Bay. I guess this season will just be Dany bitching about MUH DRAGONS again.

11.) That fucking stupid kid that killed Ygritte is a recurring character now? Oh fuck off with that crap. I bet they'll have him kill Stannis, Jon, and the Night's King while they're at it.

12.) There's no indication or foreshadowing that really wasn't Mance, like in the books. If they killed him off for good, fuck you D&D.

Don't worry folks, I'll be here all season, reminding you why the books are better.

No one really cares. Just hug your precious books. Maybe it will make you feel better. Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

I say it every season...Carice van Houten is so sexy...sooooooo sexy.

The actress who played young Cersei was pretty good. Still not sure why they didn't include the last part of the prophecy.

The Robin fighting scene was hilarious.

Good to see Kevan back. Hope he gets some more time, perhaps some council scenes.

The scene with Jon shooting Mance was fucking stupid.

And Varys supporting Dany...I hope to god there's a Blackfyre turn here...somewhere...That shit was painful to watch.

Edited by Ruin

Yeah it didn't make much sense. I guess I've just gotten used to that on this show cause I really enjoyed the scene. Mostly because of Ciaran Hinds :D shame the writing for his character was shoddy throughout the show, great actor.