[Book Spoilers] EP501 Discussion

Ran

I was so surprised to see Robin Robert Arryn alive and at least Royce is trying to get him schooled. So unless Royce out of frustration kills him, he seems in a safe place.

Meanwhile, Sansa is clearly being sent to Winterfell, but as Alayne or Sansa?

And mommie's Dragons react to her like those kids kept in the Attic.

Forgot to say how much I liked & my TV only friends liked, Jon shooting Mance to save him from suffering.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

Stannis is hilarious.

Season 3:

Stannis: The Usurper Robb Stark, WOOT yeah he's dead killed by his own bannermen.

Season 5:

Stannis: The traitor Roose Bolton who planted his knife in Robb Stark's heart? I'm going to mount his head on a spike.

Roose: NOTHING I DO IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!

:lol:

Just wait Roose...Stannis has a 'gift' for you. ;)

I was just completely annoyed with the wigs. Cersei's wig was almost orange and since when does the red lady have nearly black hair? Was it just the tv?

Also, I think Varys might end up in my deadpool for the season since they have completely gotten rid of the Blackfire storyline and everyone knows he helped Tyrion escape.

Edited by Battle Kitten

Yes, anxious to see what takes place (and who shows) at Winterfell. Got to have some Frey pie! Wondering when the snow will start, will we get to Oldtown this season? Anxious to return to Bran's thread, really want to see him fly to the Weirwood at Winterfell. So excited about this season once I realized all of those really draggy parts of Dance will be omitted. Excited about Arya and HBW thread but wonder, are they just omitting her warging Nymeria altogether?

I was just completely annoyed with the wigs. Cersei's wig was almost orange and since when does the red lady have nearly black hair? Was it just the tv?

Mel has journeyed to the land of the blue filter. Between that, Ygritte's death, and Sansa's dyeing her hair, we're precariously short on ginger.

Yes, anxious to see what takes place (and who shows) at Winterfell. Got to have some Frey pie! Wondering when the snow will start, will we get to Oldtown this season? Anxious to return to Bran's thread, really want to see him fly to the Weirwood at Winterfell. So excited about this season once I realized all of those really draggy parts of Dance will be omitted. Excited about Arya and HBW thread but wonder, are they just omitting her warging Nymeria altogether?

I hope they'll bring it up, even if it's just the thing with the cat. After all, her story there isn't really that complex so it's not like it would be too much.

Liked

• Kevan and Lancel being back. Kevan will make the whole KL dynamic more interesting and I thought Lancel's newfound zealotism was well portrayed.
  • Dany's dragons were suitably impressive and terrifying.
  • Stannis and Davos coming across as relatively reasonable and fair in their offer and not having Stannis portrayed as a 100% outright villain as is often the case on the show (though the music and other factors still don't help). Gave a mini fist-pump when Stannis said he planned to mount Roose Bolton's head on a spike and take back the North.
  • The Unsullied brothel scene was touching until it turned tragic.
  • I didn't like the changes to Mance's fate (see below) but I did think all his scenes and his execution were very well acted. The various groups reactions to Mance burning was quite intense. Seeing even Tormund start to break was telling.

Dislikes

• The prophecy scene was cheesy. If they never had any plans for flashbacks, why break that notion for this? Having Maggy be a semi-attractive thirty something with over-the-top cackling and behavior just didn't work for me.
  • Varys's motivations suck as of now. If the show reduces him to some do-gooder who has supported Dany all along I will be completely confused and underwhelmed. Dinklage and Hill are both great but I'll be quite bored if that's all their is to their storyline at this point.
  • Jaime's a bitch on the show, as of now. Utterly passive and still completely obsessed with Cersei it seems. Apparently doesn't even hold his Kingsguard position in much esteem. When do we get the Jaime that starts to become his own man and actually forge his own path?
  • Mance's death was dumb as many have already laid out. He was pretty much OK with risking the fate of all his people, who he had planned to take into war against the Seven Kingdoms as whole anyway, just because he's being asked to kneel and take part in a "foreigner's war?" THE ALTERNATIVE IS TO BE MASSACRED BY THE OTHERS/WHITE WALKERS!

Overall I actually enjoyed it. Slow and methodical but nothing stood out as utterly unwatchable or a dealbreaker. Kind of excited to see where they take a lot of these storylines, especially past episode 4 which many people have already leaked info about.

They easily could have introduced Tysha back when Tyrion was in his coma after the Battle of the Blackwater.

They could have easily introduced her back rather then include that stupid beetle crushing story, instead just have him respond to Shae's turning against him by telling Jaime how he feels a fool for trusting a whore to love him again all while Jaime looks pained and ashamed.

• Jaime's a bitch on the show, as of now. Utterly passive and still completely obsessed with Cersei it seems. Apparently doesn't even hold his Kingsguard position in much esteem. When do we get the Jaime that starts to become his own man and actually forge his own path?

I love the show, but I have to agree with this. Somehow, the showrunners don't seem very clear on what to do with him. His redemption arc has never really taken off, but nothing has replaced it. He just... exists. Perhaps his travels in Dorne will wake him up.

I love the show, but I have to agree with this. Somehow, the showrunners don't seem very clear on what to do with him. His redemption arc has never really taken off, but nothing has replaced it. He just... exists. Perhaps his travels in Dorne will wake him up.

Yeah, he's gonna end up kind of a floater on the show if this continues.

Edited by Ser Couch Potato

I was so surprised to see Robin Robert Arryn alive and at least Royce is trying to get him schooled. So unless Royce out of frustration kills him, he seems in a safe place.

It looks to me like if we are being set up to eventually see Sweetrobin again. He'll come back having taken a level in badass from Lord Royce's School for Knights and Squires it seems--confirming my suspicions that they're just going to merge Sweetrobin and Harry the Heir into one person in a later season (if either has a greater role to play).

That's of course, if he comes back... but I get the feeling we wouldn't have seen him at all this season if he wasn't going to possibly come back as a character. I should note he was left on a laughable but memory stand out moment. I feel if that was going to be the very last we see of the character, it would have been more likely that we wouldn't have seen him at all.

So, that's my prediction, Sweetrobin returns in a later season (probably Season 7 for a "grand showdown", or maybe halfway through Season 6 at earliest) having taken a level in badass (and likely recast).

Well said but it's all for naught. I'm 62 years old and there hasn't been a movie or TV series in my lifetime that have ever been better than the book. I guess that's why I love books over TV and movies. I have read the Outlander series too by Diana Gabaldon too and spent yesterday complaining about last night's episode and how it differed from the book. Again.....NOTHING IMO is ever as good as the book! Btw......can we safely assume now that Young Griff/Ageon is nothing more than a pretender or gets killed in the book? I'm assuming he isn't important enough to make it to series.

The Godfather?

:ninja: by Relic

Edited by Nictarion

Didn't care much about killing off Mance tbh. He did some great acting though. I could feel his fear and was so relieved Jon shot him. I never expected them to send anyone for fArya to WF. It would probably make it too complicated for TV.

I think it's obvious LF is brokering a marriage between Sansa and Ramsey. The real question is whether he plans to double cross the Boltons or if this is legit. Whatever LF's plans are I'm sure Ramsey will make them go up in flames and then it will be up to Sansa and/or someone else to save the day.

If that is what LF is doing, there must be some planned double cross. LF has spent all this time and energy gaining Sansa's trust/loyalty (or the appearance thereof). Seems like he would know he's throwing that away by giving her to the bastard son of Rob's betrayer.

He's goal with Sansa was to have the North at his side, but trusting Roose Bolton give the final touches on his plan is a very dangerous bet. I'm actually ansious to see what he's really planning if he really wants to give Sansa over to the Boltons.

ETA: Was LF ever named Lord Paramount of the Trident in the show? If so, Tywin's death is even more damaging to him, since he can't count on Cersei Hates-Everybody-But-Her-Children Lannister to help him subdue the river lords. This would provide a reasonable explanation for him to attempt an alliance with Roose.

Edited by Ser Couch Potato

Well, I'll be sad not to see further Mance developments, but I agree that we probably won't.

I'm just really confused about where Sansa's story could be headed. Isn't a big stumbling block to any new marriages her current marriage to Tyrion?

If there was any marriage that screamed for an annulment. A never consummated marriage to the convicted killer of the King, who killed the Hand during his escape. What may be a complication is the fact she is a suspect in the regicide.

I too am clueless as to what LF has up his sleeve.

Intresting Nod to the readers in Little Cerse' scene, "they said that you were terrifying wth cats teeth and 3 eyes." Long speculation on a certain black cat in KL and Bloodraven. While obvious it is nice to see on the show. It's minor, but still cool, and that Little Cersei, what a scamp.

Rather its giving her Children of the forest qualities. She is a greeseer but needs blood to see, what is Bran eating?