[No Spoilers] EP501 Discussion

Ran

Non-spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who've not read the books or those who have but are happy to not actually reference them at all in discussion, taking each episode as it comes.

This topic should open automatically when the show begins airing.

Really surprised no one has posted here! I liked the episode pretty much and thought they covered most threads at least enough to get them started for the season. I thought the LF/Sansa thread and the Dany thread were a bit weak (i.e., somewhat confusing), but I thought the focus at The Wall and with Varys/Tyrion were very good. Oh - and the thread in KL . . . found the 'rant' Cersei aimed at Jaime "over Tywin's dead body" a little strange. I was holding my breath when she asked him specifically if he'd let Tyrion out; it seemed pretty clear that she realized he had. Am 'way over-tired of the one-sided portrayal of Loras - I guess he's their 'token gay guy', but please!

i am surrounded by unsullied so i can say with no reference to books that episodes will need to improve for me to be as interested as i have been until now...

agree that loras and his ass map was the worst of a so-so lot

I only became aware of the books because of the show. Started reading them after season 3. So I may now be considered by many here one of those biased, purist, book lovers now. But even my family members who watched the premier with me, and are only fans of the show, found that episode unwatchable.

I really am baffled that anyone would think this was a good episode in any case. Besides the production values, sets, costumes, CGI, and actors. But what good is acting if the lines on the script are garbage? What good is production and sets and special effects if the viewer lacks empathy and even itnerest in the characters? I feel the show has been dumbed down immensely. The script and dialogue are nothing like the first 3 seasons never mind the books. Just because something is popular doesn't make it foolproof or beyond criticism. I will continue to watch because I am invested as a fan to the series. I love many other HBO series and many of them like Rome, Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos, The Wire, start off really good and get progressively worse over time as writers change, or move on to other projects. I guess those who liked the shows premier really don't care much about writing or dialogue or plot. I guess they are more visually stimulated and enjoy CGI, and handsome or beautiful actors in various stages of undress. Or just want to see what happens next to be able to share stories with Co workers the next day at work. I read lots of posts that praise the premier saying things like "he was hot" or "dragons looked cool". And I guess that is one way the show works and a larger part of the audience it has enchanted. Just goes to show you sometimes the worst thing that can happen to any work is that it become popular.

Edited by Fleabottomboy

Where do you think LF/Sansa are traveling to? LF said west and out of the reach of Cersei, my first thought was overseas, but don't think we've been exposed to anything going west off the mainland, and dont think that'd make sense anways. LF still is in control of Harenhal, so maybe there?

Excited for Arya this coming week, think she has one of the best storylines between all the characters. How much will she progress this season in becoming what I am assuming to be an assassin.

Jon Snow is definitely causing some stirs at the wall, there is going to be a vote for new commander between him and thorne right? from what i remember someone said half like jon and the other half think he is too friendly with the wildlings, which surely putting mance out of his misery didn't help the cause there.

when stannis eventually moves south, he'll go through the north first obviously, so will the boltons oppose or side with him? from what i can gather they are in pretty much complete control of the north, but who are all of the other "old" north famililies that came to robb starks cause support supporting now?

I loved the show. I thought that it was a great jumping off point.

I could help but laugh at poor Robin, I guess milk doesn't do a body good. What a Spaz. That actor did a real good job.

As for Maggie the Frog. Eh, does it really matter that she did not look like maybe, 1 of the children of the Forest or something of that ilk. I do believe that the rest if the flash back will play out later during the season. I won't be doing any spoilers in the review.

However, I LOVED how the show ended. this will really set the stage for the Wall.

I will say this though. Mance was dead no matter what. He is a brother who broke all of his vows, there was no way that the Knights Watch was going to let that go, Stannis or no Stannis, King or no King. He would have to pay one way or another. Then there was Mel( if the Knights Watch did not get a hold of him), & that is all I will say on Mel.

Poor Brienne & Pod, they can't catch a break. Always a bridesmaid, never a Bride.

Love to see how Dani( Also, Iike Cersei) isn't as smart as she thinks she is. & Another stupid move by her was leaving the dragons again, she should have stayed until they calmed down. Did she really think that they wouldn't be pissed off. But, what does she do, RUNWAY.

Anyways, Loved the show, CHANGES & ALL. :cheers:. A lot of Fat needs to be trimmed & we still have 2 thousand page books to go & only 2 seasons left. D&D have stated many times, they know the end game. They are just going to be taking a shorter route, to make sure that everyone who is invited to the Party at the end of All Things, Is there. We will still have the books. :drool:

Decent episode, but it felt a bit slow for me. That's to be expected though I suppose as they set everything up.

I have a question for you guys though. Did any of you think that the Unsullied who gets killed in the brothel (Wet Rat I think his name was) was a replacement actor for Grey Worm? I thought they replaced him for a moment like they did with Daario.

Decent episode, but it felt a bit slow for me. That's to be expected though I suppose as they set everything up.

I have a question for you guys though. Did any of you think that the Unsullied who gets killed in the brothel (Wet Rat I think his name was) was a replacement actor for Grey Worm? I thought they replaced him for a moment like they did with Daario.

haha i thought the same thing too about grey worm, i was like he looks way too similar

weird scene with the actual grey worm and the chick he wishes he could bang

• 1 month later...

So... this prophesy.

It was vague, as prophesies often are, yet generally in such stories we can assume that they come true.

Here's a link to just the prophecy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kQJ9HPpQ4

So, the three questions were:

1. Will I marry the prince?

2. But I will be queen?

3. Will we have kids?

Part of it has already happened. Prophecy 1 explains her husband. And prophecy 3 was accurate on her having three kids (with Jaime) and the king having many (20) bastards.

Knowing Prophesy 2 explains why Cersei hated (feared?) both Sansa and Margaery from the very beginning. Because the answer of the witch was she will only be queen for a time, „then comes another, younger, more beautiful, to cast you down and take all you hold dear”.

We can assume that the younger one is Margaery Tyrell, would you agree?

"all you hold dear" to me sounds as if she was speaking of people not power wealth etc, otherwise she would have said "everything you hold dear", no? All must include Jaime and the three children, right? Yet it was not Margaery but Ollena Tyrell who killed Joffrey. Or do you think "take" here means not kill but just take away from her influence? This was the case with Joffrey, who treated Cersei worse once he had Margaery. But this would then mean Margaery will also have to take/kill Tommen, and Myrcella and Jaime - right?

Prophesy 3 also includes the fate of their children: “gold will be their crowns, gold their shrouds”

I would conclude that they all will rule at some point (golden crowns). Do you think this means Rule on the Iron Throne (so Myrcella will be on the Iron Throne too)? Or is Dorne already a golden crown? As with the golden shrouds the question is whether this simply means that they will all die as rulers, in their palaces rather than in battle? Or is it closer than that, Joffrey died from poison out of a golden goblet, will the other two die of something directly related to gold too? What do you think? But in any way the prophecy does not mention that Cersei will see them all dying like Joffrey, it just merely states that they will die (which is a pretty save guess ;)).

Edited by valirpaz