[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

My unsullied fiancée watched the "previously on" but wondered why such old stuff (season 1) was being brought up.

Cersei flashback: "Which of those is Myrcella? … OH. Wait, 20 kids, that doesn't make any sense." (I reminded her of the baby killings in season 2, asked if she remembered Slynt. She could not remember his name but she did know he's at the Wall now.)

Lancel: "Oh, he's the one from season 1! Wow, he got hot. … Wait, is he saying they poisoned the King?" (No questions about who Kevan was and I didn't push it.)

Tyrion: "Oh, I remember you complaining about this, the drinking and puking! What was it he kept asking?" (I reminded her about the 'where do whores go' stuff.) "Yeah, well you must be pleased they left that out!" (I told her Tyrion's story is already 100% better than it was in the book as a result of that.)

Dany: "I don't know how much more of this I can take." (I asked for clarification.) "These dumb circles she's going in. It's always the same argument. Hop on a dragon and fly to Westeros already. … Well there goes the hopping on a dragon idea."

Sansa: "Is she going to Braavos too, then?" (I explained that Sansa's story is all new but that Braavos would be east. She pulled up a map of Westeros on her phone and I pointed out where they were.) "So they're going to the Iron Islands? Isn't that where Theon is from?" (I shrugged, but added that west wasn't necessarily the end-all direction.)

The Wall: "Hey, there's that guy!" (Slynt. She asked his name so I told her, then she remembered him being with the group of people who betrayed Ned, too.) "Stannis is a dick. … He is the worst. … I hope Mance refuses to help and instead Jon goes with him to get revenge on Ramsay. … Ugh, Stannis, you dick. … They're actually going to burn him? I changed my mind, can Mance change his mind? Kneel, Mance! Just bend the knee! Oh what the ****!! **** you Stannis! And that *****, too. Tell me someone kills Stannis and Melisandre soon?"

30 minutes later, she asked me, "Wait, which Prince?"

LOL, my sibblings, bro and two sisters think Dany is in way over her head and think Daario is taking full advantage of Ser Jorah's bannishment. They also wonder what the hell Ser Barristan does and why he is not in uniform. They are also sick and tired of the Lannisters in power and think Littlefinger is the embodyment of evil.

well my unsullied brother did need help knowing that was cersei...

but he was excited to see tyrion and varys in a different setting though he didn't get the connection between ilyrio and dany til i explained...

i needed more...

:smoking:

eta: because i was drunk and couldn't spell

The first 4 episodes are online. For some reason nobody here is talking about that. Wtf

The first 4 episodes are online. For some reason nobody here is talking about that. Wtf

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum-99/announcement-70-important-on-leaks-and-spoilers/

Maybe because they don't want to get banned...and maybe because they have no interest in watching them before they air in bad quality.

Maybe because they don't want to get banned...and maybe because they have no interest in watching them before they air in bad quality.

I'm happy waiting a week between each one. I have some friends who took the opportunity to watch all four episodes and now are upset they have to wait a month.

I'm curious if TV only viewers "get" the point of the Cersei flashback? Although I'm not sure I get it myself.

My TV-only friends & the lady all got it. All polled so far say it established her children were illegitimate and were going to die soon, and that Margaery or some other woman was going to take her down soon. I took the extra step of asking:

"If the witch had also told Cersei that her little brother was going to choke her to death, would have that have had any impact for you?"

All said no.

I'm happy waiting a week between each one. I have some friends who took the opportunity to watch all four episodes and now are upset they have to wait a month.

It's a little bit tempting, I can't lie...but my husband and I have been watching the episodes together since the very start. It's our only night together, really, as the kids take up 99% of our time these days. We have no other weekly shows that we care about watching. I don't want to watch them before him (because he would never watch it) and then ruin the next month of our together time.

It's just not worth it to me.

My unsullied sister was like:no Dany screw Meereen and fly to Westeros with Tyrion.But she predicts that guy who cut White Rat's throat is part of something bigger(not just one murder) and someone from Dany's entourage is gonna die this season.I swear,if Dany won't be in Westeros in season 6 than she's gonna need some therapy.Hurry up D&D.She hates Mel and not fan of her scene with Jon.He's gonna get Gendry treatment.Jon should go away from that horrible place at the Wall(enough is enough) and avenge his family with Stannis(can't wait for next episode). :lmao: No Arya was a big dissapointment for her,but next episode should be better.

My roommates and I just finished it. They didn't exactly remember Mance and they were confused with Lancel as well. They (and myself included) thought Grey Worm was recast for a minute or two. I don't understand why they picked someone so similar looking...

Other than that, we liked it. Solid start.

When Sam mentioned how they need a new Lord Commander: "Of course Thorne is going to win and make things suck for Jon"

At first my friend thought Lancel was Loras: "Oh so it's supposed to be like when they send gay people to those weird reeducation camps?"

Also: "Why is Stannis such a badass now?" If only you knew my friend, if only you knew.

"If the witch had also told Cersei that her little brother was going to choke her to death, would have that have had any impact for you?"

All said no.

It’s too big a moment for them to leave out. It defines Cersei's hatred and paranoia for Tyrion. I had my fortune told when I was younger, it plays on your mind, it really affects you and becomes a self fulling prophecy.

I think we will go back to Maggie, she mentions the valonqar will kill her, something dramatic happens in him present and we will pan out to Tyrion. Then in season 7 we find out its Jaime.

It’s too big a moment for them to leave out. It defines Cersei's hatred and paranoia for Tyrion. I had my fortune told when I was younger, it plays on your mind, it really affects you and becomes a self fulling prophecy.

Oh, I don't disagree. But we are looking at from that viewpoint of knowing it, and we had the books so it sort of defines our perception of Cersei's motivations, so I wonder if we're projecting a little too much of that? I wanted to see the valonqar mentioned, too, even if they straight out said "little brother" (though someone translating it in a later episode would be best).

I polled a couple of my other friends and I'd be interested to see what other show-only viewers think: "Why does Cersei dislike Tyrion so much?"

Overwhelming answer: "He killed their mother and, now, he's gone and killed their father."

Do they really need further reason? (Even if it's a really cool one?)

"Holy shit, did they replace the actor for the brown guy with no balls?" [dies; scene cuts to Grey Worm "Oh, they didn't".

"God, that barbarian guy was bad for slaughtering those villages and everything, but this is just sick". [---->] "Yay, good job Jon!"

"Wait, what did Stannis say?"

"Oh, Khaleesi is screwed. Her dragons wanna kill her, that's when you know she's done for. If she dies, imma stop watching*. Those guys in masks and that collapsing city she got the spear-guys from aren't helping either."

"Where's the dirty princess girl? I wanna see her. What's she doing?" [referring to Arya]

*this person said the same thing about Robb and Ned.

I honestly had many of the same reactions as those of the Unsullied listed here - didn't recognize Lancel at all, thought at first that Grey Worm had been recast. The only specific comment I got from my unsullied friend was about how huge the dragons were now. Disappointing . . . I love it when the Unsullied come out with huge misunderstandings that crack me up (my bad!).

Unsullied reactions:

Tiny Cersei in the flashback: "I do NOT like that little girl."

Tyrion, right out of the box: "He must have crapped his pants so many times on the way over."

Tyrion throwing up, then drinking again: "He's such a great actor." -bowling over with laughter-

Lancel bringing up Robert's death to Cersei: "Well that's just dumb."

Every moment of Sansa / LF scene: "Creeper...."

Melisandre's "Are you a virgin?" comment: :shocked: / :stillsick:

Jon shooting an arrow through Mance: "That's so nice!!"

So basically, not much that's unexpected, though I did have a good laugh at the first one. There's a reason you don't like her.... which they soon realized when they found out it was Cersei.

Dany: "I don't know how much more of this I can take." (I asked for clarification.) "These dumb circles she's going in. It's always the same argument. Hop on a dragon and fly to Westeros already. … Well there goes the hopping on a dragon idea."

Let's be honest, though: Haven't we all been there? :)

I'm curious if TV only viewers "get" the point of the Cersei flashback? Although I'm not sure I get it myself.

The point is that she thinks Margaery is destined to dethrone her and her children are destined to die, which explains her growing paranoia. Everyone in my group (total Unsullied to book fanatic) agreed on that.

It seems Unsullied reactions were pretty much the same across the board for everyone:

- Did they recast Greyworm? Oh, no wait, they didn't

- Who is Lancel?

- Loras should really stop trying to be friendly to Cersei

- Tommen is the luckiest kid alive

- Dany should just go to f***ing Westeros

- Brienne's life is gonna suck so hard when she finds out that she just missed Sansa

- Mance ;(

Archived