[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

Most unsullied around me couldn't wait to see the dragons. Everyone was impressed with Mance and wondered why he didn't have more screen time. One particularly obnoxious unsullied told be he read the books and the show has been sticking to them to the letter. That was the moment when I wished I was Oberyn.

My dad:

• Felt bad for White Rat, my dad hates throat slitting

Has tried not to like anyone, but he started to like Mance and was sad to see him go. He though he was a strong leader of people who needed to be led and understood why he wouldn't want to bend the knee

Dragons reminded him of me and my two sisters: I'm off at college on my own (Drogon) and my teenage sisters sit and their rooms all day and yell if you bother them (Viserion and Rhaegal)

Recognized Young Cersei almost immediately

Thought Robin looked like my uncle when he tried to pick a fight with my dad

I like your Dad! These are funny.

I asked a co-worker, (who has read the first four books once a while back) who loves the show, what she thought.

She loved the episode

Really bummed about no Arya

She knows the show has used up Sansa's book material and she is very happy they are keeping Sansa in this season anyway because Sansa is like the last nice person left and they have to have at least one decent person.... but that does make her worried what horror is coming...

And she was very upset over the close call with the knight lady being right there, who could have saved Sansa and they missed each other... that stuff keeps happening...

She is very concerned about Jon. She really wants Jon and Dany to end up together but now she thinks Jon might die because Jon shot that guy with the arrow and that other guy that was burning him is probably pissed and he doesn't mess around

I asked my wife which character she guessed would die next, she chose Renly. The next episode we watched was the one where Renly died. I congratulated her on her successful guess, and she said she mis-heard me and thought I was asking which character she liked the best. Sorry, hun, but at least he died quick.

My unsullied friend used to hate Stannis, then he liked him at the end of last season, but now he's disappointed in him again. He thought that Stannis came to help the wall fight against the WWs, but from this episode all Stannis talked about was marching on Winterfell, "Why is he leaving the wall? He just cares about his crown, he doesn't care about the real fight!"

So my unsullied hubby (who I have spoiled on some things) didn't recognise Lancel. After a discussion about the fact he's the same just with short hair and not blonde anymore hubby says "Wait... all the Lanesters should be blonde, right? That's how Ned knew they weren't Roberts kids so why aren't Jaime, Lancel and Tyrion blonde anymore? And WTF is Tyrion's beard black??"

He is coming round to liking Stannis. Still can't stand Sansa ( :( ) And couldn't care less about Brienne and Pod.

I'm waiting to see what he thinks of Cersei later in the season. I predict some changes and feeling sorry for her soon.

I didn't recognized Lancel and when I did pickup on him my wife said: he's that skinny ass boy Cersei was banging?

She picked up young Cersei, and laughed at tit boy (her name for Robin) trying combat practice.

Said Mance was a foolish prideful man who should have bent the knee.

A few of my unsullied friends think Tyrion and Dany are going to be a couple. Some were wondering where LF is taking Sansa, they figured they'd be going over seas 'cause of what LF said about taking Sansa so far even Cercei can't find her. They missed Arya, made jokes about her traveling for at least half a season again before ending up anywhere. They'll be surprised.

Also, one is sure that the dragons are going to turn on Dany, especially "the black one".

My dad:

- didn't remember the ending of the last season too clearly, since he's a non-reader of the books and has only watched the TV seasons once.

- was surprised that Tyrion was alive, because he actually remembered he had been killed as a result of the trial :D

- still doesn't like Dany.

- almost immediately recognized Young Cersei and thought the actress was great.

- loves to hate Cersei, but does never remember her name.

- didn't recognize Kevan and Lancel and didn't remember them either as I told him about them.

I polled a couple of my other friends and I'd be interested to see what other show-only viewers think: "Why does Cersei dislike Tyrion so much?"

Overwhelming answer: "He killed their mother and, now, he's gone and killed their father."

Do they really need further reason? (Even if it's a really cool one?)

I wouldn’t say it a further reason, I think it’s the main reason she hates him.

He just killed their father this season; but she has hated him since birth. The first few years was because he "killed" their mother, even though it wasn't intentional and death during childbirth was common.

Even though we know what will happen in the book, Cersei reasons feel trivial unless she has a significant reason for hating him so much. The real reason she hates him is because she thinks he will murder her. It’s a constant psychological torture. For example at the battle of Blackwater, all that’s standing between Stannis and death is Tyrion. In the back of her mind she probably thought she would die because Tyrion couldn’t defend the city.

My friends don't understand why the "fuck" i would care who is John Snow's parents are.

Also, why the blonde c**t don't just conquer "Sand Lands"

I know no one who have read the books, and most aren't that intrested in Game of Thrones.

So i don't even discuss seriesor the book series with anyfriends.

To be honest, i got a friend who asked my why i cared so f* about this series, i responded with answering that both Joffrey and Tywin would get killed that season, Naturally, he was outraged and asked my why the f* i spoiled.

I replyd : Why the F' do you care?

I am a terrible humanbeeing, i know.

Nah, not a terrible human being, you just come across as someone who is wary of other people's hypocrisy.

All of my lot have seen the leaks, so the first episode is kind of already gone from their minds, but I quizzed them on it regardless.

The consensus;

The Lannisters are an empty void and are completely fucked without Tywin, who was a terrible person but had real gravitas and a "don't fuck with me" that nobody else replicates. Young Cersie was a bitch and rapist Jaime is still totally whipped. Tyrion is still a legend though.

Mance should've bent the knee, the burning scene was really uncomfortable but they understand why I like Stannis now (bear in mind they are still influenced by the leaks) and they think he does have a real moral centre but is motivated by the fact that he hates the world and the world hates him (HBO are doing the job on this guy, whatever people think), they really, really liked Mance at the end and said anybody that has the balls to "wish well" the person who is going to freaking burn them alive is worthy of respect, but they really hope he fucks Roose and Ramsay up (if a man like Mance can get burned then the Boltons have much worse coming, and who better than Stannis to dish it ou?)

Khaleesi is getting boring.

The Starks are still alive?

Jon Snow is totally going to savage Ramsay and he and Stannis are going to double team Westeros and the White Walkers :dunno:

Gay guy and hot sister are still doing their thing then lol, was Margearys boobs too much to ask for?

I don't watch the show with anyone (I watch at 2am) but I usually spend a fair bit of time in work on Tuesdays talking about it. Colleagues have "moved forward" with the show however *cough*, so that's kind of killed that for the time being :/

I was hoping the Goggleboxers would be shown watching the show and sure enough they were :D

Newbie question here, what do people mean when they say "Unsullied" as a descritption of a real life person on this forum.

I think it means someone who only watches the show and doesn't read the books

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who only watches the show, it's hard to discuss it with him because he's bad with names "Now who are the Targaryans again? Oh yeah, the Mad King people." "Dany who? Oh, Dragon Girl." "I'd like to put a map of Hawaii on that queen's back...no, not Dragon Girl, the one from Judge Dredd."

Despite his problems with names and only being exposed to the show, I am proud that he agrees that Daenerys is definitely in full evil queen mode.

Archived