Discussing Dorne I: Birthmark edition [book spoilers]

Chebyshov

I mean look at where the letters are on the map though. You don't see The Eyrie listed as "The Vale." Yes it's a nitpick, but it's our nitpick, goddamnit.

In general, I'm getting really sick of the implication that Dorne and The Reach are totally the same in terms of the acceptance of homosexuality. Like...they're not, even if the Tyrells are protective of Loras. Which was kind of the implicit suggesting this episode.

I’m going to say it: that birthmark didn’t even look like Dorne.

Honestly, though, that scene wasn’t nearly as bad as I feared it would be, which is all I can hope for anymore it seems, I was much more upset about the moustache that show!Marge was twirling than anything else.

And word about the odd choice to give Dorne’s sexual mores to the Reach. Like, why? I mean, I know why, they wanted to have Tyrell sexytimes, but what justification? It’s really too bad because I find the way Margaery uses ideal maidenhood as a political tool in A Feast for Crows very interesting.

What is this Sandstone of which they speak?

Sandstone is the seat of House Qorgyle. It’s about halfway between Hellholt and Starfall, quite deep in the desert, as far as I can tell. I’m sure it’s an awesome sauce place.

It’s where Oberyn was fostered as a kid, so maybe he got part of his unique Oberyn-ness there?

I'm going to have to watch this scene again. I didn't catch that they were reminding us of Dorne, I was thinking they were reminding us that Loras is gay, and he's sleeping with Littlefinger's spy/brothel dude, which is apparently a foreshadowing of a different story line...

Yeah, the mark didn't even look like Dorne imo.

It's also weird to see the neutral way Reach people talk about Dorne - I mean aren't the Reach and Dorne supposed to be at each other's throats all the time, which is why it's such a complicated situation in King's Landing? (and I assume might be a problem for any Targaryen claimant if they ally with Dorne?) But I guess it's much easier to show the Dornish as "Those guys in the south with sand and stuff"

People from the Reach tend to treat the Dornish with what I can only call “racism”. There was some of that on the show last season (“Why are you wasting a woman like this on a Dornishman. Get him a shaved goat and a bottle of olive oil”) and they even more played up their “otherness” with the cheesy accents and the costumes, and the, um, aspect of Oberyn’s character those chose to focus on. And the casual use of violence. (They played into all the racist stereotypes, basically). The Dornish in the books are mostly just very proud and will get defensive about it.

The Tyrells and the Martells also have a thing that’s more personal, having to do with a tourney accident where Willas Tyrell was injured and that they blame Oberyn for. And it seems to be mostly one sides. The Martells don’t seem to have any particular issue with the Tyrells, at least not this generations. And Arianne saw nothing objectionable about the idea of marrying one, for example.

This personal enmity doesn’t seem to exists on the show. Which is fine, it’s not particularly important, I don’t think.

Sunspear doesn't seem to exist anymore, at least on the OP anyways, according to a screenshot of Dorne in the title sequence.

Rather, when we are introduced to Dorne it will be to the city of Dorne (so that's Dorne, Dorne), a magical land filled with Water Gardens, Old Palaces, and everything of relevance in Dorne.

http://emilia-clarke.net/gallery/albums/Magazines/2015%2003%2020-27%20EW/ew_march2027_014.jpg

damn i must have been drunker than i thought cause i missed any dornish city in the opening credits....saw pentos and new winterfell...guess we have to wait til next week to see braavos

damn i must have been drunker than i thought cause i missed any dornish city in the opening credits....saw pentos and new winterfell...guess we have to wait til next week to see braavos

There was no Dorne in the opening credits in E01 but it appears that we'll finally see Dorne in E02 based on the preview.

I wish they would have gone with having an ornate, embroidered map-of-Dorne bedspread that Oberyn's troupe left behind in Littlefinger's brothel when they left. It would have been a better visual reference than a weird birthmark/mole.

Anything would have been better than that cringeworthy birthmark scene. Since Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne, those two could have looked at a map of Dorne or something. Or have Trystane talk about Dorne to Myrcella in a later episode. I get that they wanted to include some mention of Dorne in the first episode, but this was the worst possible solution.

They wanted to make a gay tour together or something... remember when Loras loved Renly? good times, good times...

When the sun has gone out no candle can-

Oh, hullo there! You're a man, we must have sex at once!

*replaces sun with feeble matchstick*

Also, was I the only one imagining the scene from Friends where Ross has a *something* on his arse and all those doctors are gathered round looking at it?

Archived