[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

Aye, and hopefully that will temper some of the "not muh books" whining on the forums, but I won't get my hopes up. Book 4 and 5 were pretty lame compared to the first three, and GRRM doesn't seem to have his heart in ASOIAF as much as he used to. I'm not longer fully invested in the book universe, to me it's all about the show now. And they've done a excellent job with it so far. It's one of the best shows on television.

Couldnt agree more. George spent too much time these past three years at Comic con and traveling the TV talk show circuts when he could have been writing. It's easily aparent now that the show will end years before the books. So bring it on. I'm all about the show now.

I've seen episodes 1 through 4 because I'm an evil man who hates himself and everything else...

I'm so sorry, but it gets so bad and so stupid. It feels like bad fanfiction, the world doesn't feel like Westeros anymore, it's a soap opera set in Vaguely Medieval Land. I have to stop watching, because I cringe at how bad it is sometimes, but I may return if Sophie Turner has a 'big scene'.

One glaring, but small mistake

Maggy's prophecy - pretty much taken from the book except the valonqar part.

Cersei:"How many children we'll we have?"

Maggy: "None. The king will have twenty, you will have three."

Cersei" "That doesn't make any sense."

No it doesn't, because in season 1, Cersei tells Catelyn of a black haired baby boy she gave birth to who died as an infant. And though at the time I thought it was just a lie. Cersei mentions the black haired boy again in ep 6 I believe, to Robert himself!!!

In my book, even if a kid dies only mere days after being born, that it's still called 'having a child'.

I'm thinking D&D hoped we would forget about that little gem, or maybe they forgot too, but like the North, THE FANS REMEMBER!

I guess I'm officially out of the fandom...I don't remember that. :(

Hell, I don't remember much of season one, two or three other than deaths...lots and lots of deaths.

:sigh: I'm so disappointed in myself right now.

To be fair, that's not Emilia's fault. Dany, in the show, lacks the compassion her book counterpart does have. The scene after White Rat (really? why change the original name? for the sake of... change stuff?) gets killed proves it. She cries in the books, or at least, she wants to and has to hide it. Here, she's like "a guy of mine died. Give him honours". Missandei only cared because "oh noes! does this mean Greyworm sees whores as well?!".

This bothers me because D&D seem to be unable to portray strong women with vulnerabilities and that's a shame. Strong women aren't robots that shout one liner after one liner. Brienne is the same case, she is pretty much a bully. There is nothing wrong with portraying strong women having feelings. That doesn't make them weak. To me, this is as offensive as Loras THE GAY ONE.

I understand that. But i also feel like part of it is Clarke's fault. Shes never really been much for quieter scenes. Even her fear of the dragons looked really forced. And i really didnt interpret Missandei's question the same way you did. It looked like she was genuinely curious as to why dudes without nards would be in brothels at all. Its an honest question.

D&D know how to. But they dont want to. Tropes sell more. Its infuriating, but the sad truth.

My biggest nitpick...this forum's inability to handle the server load every single year during the premiere. :crying:

Next year, double it. I don't understand server nonsense, but whatever number it is that matters in these things....just double it. For this one day at least :cheers:

I feel like what with how things have been going with the site runners financially, there isnt much in the way of excuse to faulty servers.

And another thing that just occurred to me that bug me a lot. Stannis doesn't say anything about the fight against the Others, he doesn't say any thing about "the cart before the horse" and needing to defend the kingdom in order to win the throne. He's all about having an army to attack Winterfell but nothing about him wanting Winterfell so he can properly unite the North against the threat from the beyond the Wall.

No it doesn't, because in season 1, Cersei tells Catelyn of a black haired baby boy she gave birth to who died as an infant. And though at the time I thought it was just a lie. Cersei mentions the black haired boy again in ep 6 I believe, to Robert himself!!!

In my book, even if a kid dies only mere days after being born, that it's still called 'having a child'.

I'm thinking D&D hoped we would forget about that little gem, or maybe they forgot too, but like the North, THE FANS REMEMBER!

Absolutely. And I think they have casted an actress who would look like young Mirri Maz Duur.

As for my rant, I can only say the following:

- every single character in this episode has nothing to do with the books. Even dead Tywin does not smell. So, even dead characters' arcs are being altered. This is not a question of not following the books anymore. It is officially a fan fiction now. I have been saying this for season and a half, so I am not at all surprised.

- the level of nudity is unjustified, predictable and, frankly, boring. They are taking too much screen time.

- the stereotypes are too many with a gay stereotype Loras being offensive

- why does Cersei have to be carrying a glass of wine in every scene? Can there be any more obvious way of showing she has been sinking into alcoholism.

Finally, it is increasingly hard to discuss the show for we have no idea where that beast is heading and even if that is indeed GRRM's direction. I don't know what that man signed with D&D, but I'm sure that, when he did it, he didn't have this in mind. I am also officially afraid that with an abomination like this on TV screens, pressure from the publisher and fans, George may not be able to finish his series. And if that happens, that would be a cataclysmic literarly disaster in which show takes over and kills the books.

Oh my god, that's so true. Hahaha, thank you for making me remember this.

Couldnt agree more. George spent too much time these past three years at Comic con and traveling the TV talk show circuts when he could have been writing. It's easily aparent now that the show will end years before the books. So bring it on. I'm all about the show now.

Couldn't agree less, books 4 and 5 were some of my favourites, only topped by CoK!

My biggest nitpick...this forum's inability to handle the server load every single year during the premiere. :crying:

Next year, double it. I don't understand server nonsense, but whatever number it is that matters in these things....just double it. For this one day at least :cheers:

Yes, it is SO frustrating, and today it started several hours before the premier even aired - drives me nuts! However, this site does take lots of time and lots of money to maintain -- and it's free. All in all, pretty amazing.

Loras's birthmark has got to be a record on biggest sexposition ever done by this show. I mean, why even bother with maps when you can have region-shaped scars to discuss between gay-sex for the sake of gay-sex with a random whore?

Book!Loras is the ever so honorable man that admits that once the sun has set, no candle can replace it. Show!Loras gave only fucks about fucking Renly, apparently.

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bless-this-post-pope-cat.jpg

I thought it was fucking shite. A load of complete bollocks.

What was the point of the Maggy prophecy if they weren't going to include the volunqar (or however it's spelled)?

Loras...sigh. Maybe the writers should watch Black Sails and take lessons on how not to write pointless and cringeworthy gay drama.

And I really hope, for their sake, that was actually Mance who died. If not, why did he not scream.

I don't remember any of the season 1 scenes but does Varys backstory hold up at all? Didn't he try to kill Dany like?

I don't remember any of the season 1 scenes but does Varys backstory hold up at all? Didn't he try to kill Dany like?

I just watched the small council scene to confirm, and yes Varys makes a comment about if Daenerys has a son the realm will bleed. It was his info from Jorah that got Robert all riled up about killing her too. Something tells me that will never be addressed. :dunno:

Archived