[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

No prologue to open the season's first episode this year? I would have bet tons of money that the Cersei flashback scene would have been the prologue this season. She wakes up from the dream, sweaty and panicked... then que the theme song.

So Cersei's hair was orange, much like Tyrion's and Mel's hair was nearly black as was her attire. Did it look this way to everyone else?

Wish that was my only complaint but wow, they have really butchered so much. But poor Varys and Loras. Even Lancel is not right.

If they are cutting Varys and the Blackfyre story who will kill Kevin? And why is he backing Dany - he wanted her killed in season 1 right?

What a mess. Looks like the reviews of the leaked episodes aren't good either. I dunno. I'm usually pretty forgiving of the show but this first episode was more than I can overlook.

I didn't notice Cersei's hair, but Mel's hair seems to shift around from REALLY RED to dark red and back again.

Sansa's storyline = F.U.B.A.R.

I understand and agree with how the TV show has to tweak and streamiline to make it palatable to a wide audience. They've done this really well on the whole and are still on track to hit all of George's high notes, but they've gone so far off course with Sansa it feels like they're going to run into big issues down the line.

Everytime I hear fricking "Dark Sansa" it's like fingernails down a chalkboard.

i really thought this epi was so so and even less when compared to other season openers... i guess i really needed tywin to stink and grin...

Dany shouldn't be this scared of her dragons.

this was one of the most screwed up things...i mean fire can't kill a dragon

Like everyone else, the way Loras is being portrayed is down right offensive at this point. The fact that his character is basically three people, with taking over the roles of Willas and Garlan; he should be given far more substance than the token gay guy, who is there for shock value. At this point, when he is arrested by the HS, I hope he asks to be allowed to take the Black....just so I can see him with a fucking sword in his hand.

As for a minor, silly nitpick: Ghost got fat and he needs to go on a diet!

way to catch that...i think Loras should join him

Maggy gave Cersei the leave to ask three questions, right? But I have the impression that Cersei only made two questions, right? Maybe they'll conclude the flashback in the next episode...

uhh i think she asked 3,"will i marry the prince" "will i be queen" and "will we have kids"

yes these three though seemed number two was wasted since fake maggy told her she would marry king

Oh, another point that's bothered me since season 3: why make Missandei older if they were going to make her half as intelligent as her 10 year old book counterpart? She makes more sense than any of Dany's advisers in ADwD, and yet show!Missandei kind of just stands around doing nothing. It's a waste of an interesting character and a good actress.

Oberyn is almost definitely bisexual in the books. Most of it is intended as slander, yes, but there are also rumours that Oberyn has had relationships with men - including Daemon Sand, who was his squire. From a narrative perspective, there's no point including these rumours if they don't mean anything.

show oberyn is bi...he clearly tells boy whore people that only go one way are missing half of the worlds pleasure

-Cersei and Jaime's conversation in Tywin's funeral seemed all wrong to me. The show went to a total different perspective than the books when both brother and sister now lament Tywin's death and let us know how much they love their father. There is something very wrong to that. "All he build is now ours and we need to protect it from the others"? What? So this event, which serves in the books to strain even more they relationship in the show is a tool to bend and close both characters together.

-"A force to be reckoned with" and "a force to be reckoned with". It's like the writers don't know how to finish a line with some impact, so they always turn to the horrible idea of repeating the most impactful term they have in the same line they are writing. "Power is power", "The future is shit. The past is shit". "I won't kneel to Stannis because... I won't kneel to Stannis". It's really ridiculous when you start noticing the pattern. And worse is when they just give up trying and we have something like Lancel saying "I will pray for your father's soul" and Cersei replying "The day Tywin needs your praying..." and CUT.

-What is the point of making Varys travel to Pentos? Where is the actor of Illyrio? I can only imagine they've done this for necessity, probably Illyrio's actor is working elsewhere. But look how pale and sterile is Tyrion one-liners with Varys in comparison with his book moments with book Illyrio. It's really a shame. And really, Varys is some kind of egalitarian militant? And his best plan for justice and commonwealth is putting DANY in the Iron Throne? "A land where the powerful do not prey on the powerless" WHAT? They keep criticizing monarchy and speaking of alternatives but the alternative he presents is more of the same, just a different ruler.

It's not like he's deceiving Tyrion and saying what the Lannister wants to hear, at this time we KNOW that show!Varys is incapable of lying and is not a player since season 1, but it would be better if this could be the case.

-I'm not gonna talk about Missandei and Grey Worm. It's just pointless.

Like everyone else, the way Loras is being portrayed is down right offensive at this point. The fact that his character is basically three people, with taking over the roles of Willas and Garlan; he should be given far more substance than the token gay guy, who is there for shock value. At this point, when he is arrested by the HS, I hope he asks to be allowed to take the Black....just so I can see him with a fucking sword in his hand.

As for a minor, silly nitpick: Ghost got fat and he needs to go on a diet!

Oh thanks, Ioved that.

When I wake up I might have more ranting and raving.

Lora

Sansa's storyline = F.U.B.A.R.

I understand and agree with how the TV show has to tweak and streamiline to make it palatable to a wide audience. They've done this really well on the whole and are still on track to hit all of George's high notes, but they've gone so far off course with Sansa it feels like they're going to run into big issues down the line.

Everytime I hear fricking "Dark Sansa" it's like fingernails down a chalkboard.

It is so weird.

The more book purists dislike the new Sansa, the more the general audience embraces her.

Subtlety is an art lost on many.

Trojan horse Sansa will probably be my favorite storyline this season. I can't see how having her taking Winterfell from the inside (or die trying) is worse than having her as Robert Arryn's Old Nan.

-"A force to be reckoned with" and "a force to be reckoned with". It's like the writers don't know how to finish a line with some impact, so they always turn to the horrible idea of repeating the most impactful term they have in the same line they are writing. "Power is power", "The future is shit. The past is shit". "I won't kneel to Stannis because... I won't kneel to Stannis". It's really ridiculous when you start noticing the pattern. And worse is when they just give up trying and we have something like Lancel saying "I will pray for your father's soul" and Cersei replying "The day Tywin needs your praying..." and CUT.

-What is the point of making Varys travel to Pentos? Where is the actor of Illyrio? I can only imagine they've done this for necessity, probably Illyrio's actor is working elsewhere. But look how pale and sterile is Tyrion one-liners with Varys in comparison with his book moments with book Illyrio. It's really a shame. And really, Varys is some kind of egalitarian militant? And his best plan for justice and commonwealth is putting DANY in the Iron Throne? "A land where the powerful do not prey on the powerless" WHAT? They keep criticizing monarchy and speaking of alternatives but the alternative he presents is more of the same, just a different ruler.

I think the show was specifically trying to portray Loras as an idiot who's getting on Cersei's nerves. As for Illyrio, why waste budget in an actor for just three minutes?

yeah, I loved that they aged her up, I didn't need yet another super genius child, but they've done nothing with her and they're running out of time if they're going to do anything with the Grey Worm thing, which they're spending a fair amount of time on setting up.....

I liked that she was a foil for Daenerys - an actual child prodigy who had been educated and enslaved, whereas Dany was mostly uneducated and had to learn on the spot, so to speak. I also thought it was interesting that Dany acts as both a mother and sister to Missandei, symbolic of the complexity of her relationship with the freed slaves.

show oberyn is bi...he clearly tells boy whore people that only go one way are missing half of the worlds pleasure

Why on earth are you telling me this? I was specifically talking about the books. I am very well aware that show!Oberyn is bisexual - the showrunners hammered that home in almost every episode.

It would be so bizarre to have Ramsay and Sansa together if they really go this direction, because the writers would be FORCED to destroy the characterization of one of them. They'll make Ramsay stupid or strangely not-violent around Sansa, or they'll make Sansa outmanouver him in a impossible way. Like "awright Sansa, now that you've learned how to lie at the same time you wink at me, NOW I can throw you to in the middle of Boltons to defeat them. Good luck with that!".

Honestly, this episode almost turned me into one of the snobby idiots who all like to yell "BUT THATS NOT HOW IT IS IN THE BOOKS" even though we all know full well the show is nothing like the books. Aside fro Jon shooting Mance, the rest was mediocre at best. It's like a giant display of everyone who hasn't died yet to remind viewers that they are still around.

[i think the show was specifically trying to portray Loras as an idiot who's getting on Cersei's nerves. As for Illyrio, why waste budget in an actor for just three minutes?]
I'm sure that by this time budget is not a problem, specially to call back a character in which they've not spent a penny for like 3 years. It's not like they MUST keep paying him for the whole series just to making one scene with him. This is common practice in moviemaking IMO.

I like their story in the books, too, so... But yeah, I get your point. :)

Really? And threre I thought I was the only one not hating on Dany/Daario on these boards, way to make my joke useless.

Although with Sansa and Jaime as your favorite POVs (same with me) I probably should have known. :cheers:

I think paranoid Jaime took some drugs or something. Only way to explain that.

I think the show was specifically trying to portray Loras as an idiot who's getting on Cersei's nerves. As for Illyrio, why waste budget in an actor for just three minutes?

LOL. Um, because "Illyrio" would provide continuity....if they aren't going to "waste" money on the secondary recurring characters...then no more Walder Frey, Blackfish, Edmure Tully, brotherhood, Gendry, Osha, the list is long.

Loras.

Varys, man of the people.

Varys's invisible friend Illyrio - just really bad writing.

Loras.

Cersei's friend in the flashback - poorly-written lines poorly-delivered - and Maggy the Frog channelling Helena Bonham Carter. Young Cersei herself was excellent though (that actress will go far) so there's that.

Jamie. His season 3 material was stunning, probably the show's strongest arc, a demonstration of what they can achieve when they're actually adapting and streamlining the source material for the small screen. Since then they've gone their own way, ditched what happens in the books in favour of what I can only assume they think is an improvement. It's not. It's utterly ducking terrible, much though I love NCW.

Loras.

Really? And threre I thought I was the only one not hating on Dany/Daario on these boards, way to make my joke useless.

Although with Sansa and Jaime as your favorite POVs (same with me) I probably should have known. :cheers:

I think paranoid Jaime took some drugs or something. Only way to explain that.

:cheers:

It's like they turned Jaime into Joffrey Jr. with a lobotomy.

The more book purists dislike the new Sansa, the more the general audience embraces her.

You mean the general audience naming their children "Khalessi"? For so long we have used book purist as a slander to people who love books as they are and who wanted adaptation to be as faithful as possible. But, these days, it seems, that being a book purist became highest honor, because, let's face it, it kinda includes some intelligence. When it comes to Sansa, her plot is something I think I will be having problems with. I will wait and see how this turns out, but I honestly already see a whole bunch of problems.

And it is not about Sansa. These days being book purist also means arguing that gay man can have a characterization of sort or that beauty of some characters is that we are not told what they want so easily.

Archived