[BOOK SPOILERS] The Portrayal of Loras

teemo

They showed him in bed with Renly on S01, to show they were gay. They showed him now being careless with the secret, on the same episode they stated the church is growing in power, so it's pretty clear there's going to be trouble there. Don't really see the problem.

Mace, on the other hand, that's an underdeveloped character if I ever saw one.

Offensive and despicable? Without any doubt. And I won't lie when say that it is also borderline homophobic. I am sorry, and we discussed this when the trailers were out, but the show's Loras is defined by its sexuality. He is not a great warrior, or has some resemblance of personality. His character is caricatured to the point where you have to wonder...

The scene is very important for later when Cersei accuses Margaery of joining in. That's my theory. Otherwise I don't see how Cersei can frame Margaery with no Kettleblacks around, even Meryn Trant will be away.

^ I agree. I think Olyvar is going to be Kettleblacked. And by that I mean the High Sparrow is going to torture his ass six ways from Sunday

That said, their treatment of Loras has been...less than stellar, to put it mildly

Kinda wish they had introduced Garlan instead. At least they wouldn't have turned him into a walking stereotype with geographical birthmarks

As far as I'm concerned, he's a bit player for Margaery to sound off on, in the same class as Mance, Ygritte, Bronn, Ros, Barristan and those tons of others that've lived and died through the series. She's the smart / important one, and the show can't develop everyone. So, I'm fine.

Maybe he'll get some fight/war scenes next year, if there's another war - they could make him the Tyrell commander in lieu of Randyll Tarly.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a bit player for Margaery to sound off on, in the same class as Mance, Ygritte, Bronn, Ros, Barristan and those tons of others that've lived and died through the series. She's the smart / important one, and the show can't develop everyone. So, I'm fine.

They can't develop everyone, that is true. But, stipulating character to the worst stereotypes there are in the books is something that is simply repulsive.

They can't develop everyone, that is true. But, stipulating character to the worst stereotypes there are in the books is something that is simply repulsive.

I think that you're missing the cart for the horse here, honest. Loras just got the 'secondary character entangled in a primary character's' plot deal, which is pretty raw, sure, but to me no different than Mance being burned to service Jon and Stannis. Cersei needed a cause to start up a Faith Militant, so Loras, already gay, had to be more open in his gayness.

It's one of the worst atrocities the show has committed on a book character imo. He's so awesome in the books, a great brave warrior, one of the only good KG left, Tommen's hero, a man who gave up on love after seeing his love die and a mirror of Jaime when he was younger. But fuck all that let's just have him stand around or have gay sex, brilliant Dumb and Dumber!

The scene is obviously going to be important later. I did think it was overly silly and a bit too long, but it was interesting to see how at ease Margeary was there. I don't see how loras having fun with his lover makes him a stereotype though. He did also have the brief scene with Cersei.

They showed him in bed with Renly on S01, to show they were gay. They showed him now being careless with the secret, on the same episode they stated the church is growing in power, so it's pretty clear there's going to be trouble there. Don't really see the problem.

I don't think Margeary will be be imprissonant by the Faith Militant because Tommen is old enough to have sex with her so she won't be a virgin. My guess is they're going to imprison Loras instead.

I don't think Margeary will be be imprissonant by the Faith Militant because Tommen is old enough to have sex with her so she won't be a virgin. My guess is they're going to imprison Loras instead.

Isn't Loras seen trying to lunge after olyvar in one of the trailers. so it's probably got something to do with a scene like this.

Both Loras and Margaery will be imprisoned the way I see it, since the Shield Islands attack won't happen in the show she has to get rid of Loras some other way, Cersei plots to imprison both brother and sister and succeeds for a moment, Cersei will think she's winning until the High Sparrow gets more information from Olyvar - the truth, coupled with Lancel's information about Cersei, she gets imprisoned instead.

It's going to be glorious :D

Archived