[BOOK SPOILERS] The Portrayal of Loras

teemo

Really, this tread could be named portrayal of Tyrells. Claim that Loras in the show is combination of all three Tyrell brothers is absurd. They just attached some of their actions to him (planned betrothal to Sansa and Renly's armour). He has none of the personality of other two and none to little personality of book Loras for that matter.

Its really annoying that he's known solely for being a raging homosexual when he's one of the top swordsmen in the kingdom and heir to Highgarden.

That's not quite true though, atleast not with the people I watch Game of Thrones (none of them have read the books).

When I discuss the best swordsman in the show with them, Loras Tyrell ALWAYS comes up as one of the best. He's also known as the heir of Highgarden which was well mentioned many times in S3. How you view a character doesn't necessarily mean everyone does the same.

Finn always says he thinks it's fun and interesting to do those scenes from an acting perspective. It's not like they're really having sex, you know? He is a big LBGT rights ally and very outspoken about that too.

Back on topic: I really miss the Loras & Jaime dynamic from the books. Loved that. But GRRM kinda dropped that ball too.

About the Tyrells overall on the show: I really sometimes wonder what GRRM told them about further developments there. Because it looks like pretty much nothing, which is strange.

So, I was able to ask Finn about Loras at comic-con yesterday. He gave a really long and detailed answer which I can't really replicate, but here's the cliff notes version:

Q: In the books we see Loras mourning Renly long after he's gone and remaining faithful to him even in death. In the show it seemed like Loras moved on quite quickly to Olyver. Do you think that the show version is being true to the book version at this point?

He said that 'basically, no', they weren't being true to the book version. He added that in his mind Loras did a huge amount of mourning and grieving and it just happened off camera. He said that Loras is very young and he's 'trying' to move on and have some fun but Renly is definitely still on his mind. He said that the fact that show Loras is the heir of Highgarden does affect how Loras behaves and with Cersei he's trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

He also said there's going to be a scene in episode 5 where Loras does mention Renly. (I hope that's not a spoiler)

So he said he understood how people felt about Loras moving on, and that he's trying hard to play Loras as a man who happens to sleep with men (which is how he sees the character), who is masculine and as much a warrior and knight as his book counterpart.

That was encouraging, but he's ultimately at the mercy of the script.

Yeah. Loras and Renly were good in season 1, and it is pretty disappointing they took out the scene with him talking about renly out in season 2. I could understand something like Tywin talking to Pycelle getting cut, but the scene with Loras talking about Renly was a really emotional moment between him and Margaery.

Actually one thing I disliked about Season 1 is that Loras didn't offer to go after the Mountain like he did in the books. Loras was a hothead in the books, he is an aristocrat from a powerful family and he is his Father favorite because of his martial prowess. I also miss the dynamic he had with Jaimie in the books but he's not in the Kingsguard in this version of the story.

Yeah good luck with that. Seems he has misplaced that for a while now and will not find it again before his arrest either. Ser Loras running around KL without a weapon always makes me eyesroll.

A lot of people seem to think he'll end up being arrested by the Faith. I just hope if it happens he lays about him with a sword the way Book Loras would have rather than being a helpless victim.

A lot of people seem to think he'll end up being arrested by the Faith. I just hope if it happens he lays about him with a sword the way Book Loras would have rather than being a helpless victim.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Not. :rolleyes:

Archived