[BOOK SPOILERS] The Portrayal of Loras

teemo

Didn't Olyvar already betray him? Not only he's an stereotype. He's an idiot stereotype. He's so into this guy that he has completely lost his brains, apparently.

Well, he's being an idiot in the exact same way as Tyrion. So if they really did mean for us to like Loras by seeing that he's just like a gay Tyrion, it almost makes sense... (The part that doesn't make any sense at all is why they would think that's a good thing to try to set up in the first place.)

Speaking of which, no one noticed something... odd about Olyvar being so damn casual about being there all naked in front of Margaery? Like, damn, man... cover your bits, that's your Queen-to-be. And a lady.

I'm not sure, but I think that was meant to show us that this is far from the first time she's walked in on them together, to the point where none of them even notice anymore.

But also remember: Olyvar is a whore who walks around with his bits on display to nobles all day long. Loras is all about flaunting now (I suspect he's heard the South Park wiener song), so he's not going to tell Olyvar to cover up. Margy is a modern 31st decade sex-positive feminist slut hero--and besides, this is the woman who invited her brother into bed with her to get Renly to perform, so she's not going to care about seeing her brother's lover's bits.

Ok, he's different from the books, but so what. I suppose he will be judged by the Faith for his sexual tendencies, and this scene was just there to remind us about that (not that we needed a reminder, but whatever).

I mean, I don't really care about Loras, but he certainly feels more present to me in the series than in the books since BOTH his brothers are merged into him. Besides that he sure serves as as gay stereotype as well, but as I said - this is probably done for a reason.

Ok, he's different from the books, but so what. I suppose he will be judged by the Faith for his sexual tendencies, and this scene was just there to remind us about that (not that we needed a reminder, but whatever).

I mean, I don't really care about Loras, but he certainly feels more present to me in the series than in the books since BOTH his brothers are merged into him. Besides that he sure serves as as gay stereotype as well, but as I said - this is probably done for a reason.

Would have spared you a bit of typing.

Yeah sorry, kinda mean, and I guess it's nice that Loras feels more present to you on the show (he is) but somehow that didn't really lead to more caring about him either, so not that much of an improvement after all it seems.

Just thinking back on the season 3 scene, but didn't Loras suggest there that his sexuality was a secret? ("Even my betrothed does not know...") But now he seems to be "Yeah, cool, whatever. Who needs discretion anyway?"

Just thinking back on the season 3 scene, but didn't Loras suggest there that his sexuality was a secret? ("Even my betrothed does not know...") But now he seems to be "Yeah, cool, whatever. Who needs discretion anyway?"

Continuity is not D&D's strong suit. Just ask that boy black of hair Cersei gave birth to and Maggy the Frog did not take into (ac)count.

Would have spared you a bit of typing.

Yeah sorry, kinda mean, and I guess it's nice that Loras feels more present to you on the show (he is) but somehow that didn't really lead to more caring about him either, so not that much of an improvement after all it seems.

"Caring" might be the wrong word in general, because I don't really care about any character. I care about the story and about how much I enjoy it - the characters are an important component of that and play their part, but I don't actually symapthise with or despise anyone. They are fictional characters after all.

And Loras is a secondary character at best - and even more so in the books compared to the series. He fulfills his part to the story, and the only thing that's important to me (I understand that this might be very different for other readers/viewers) is that he makes sense as a character in the framework of the story. In the books he does. Whether or not he does in the series, we just have to wait and see.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a bit player for Margaery to sound off on, in the same class as Mance, Ygritte, Bronn, Ros, Barristan and those tons of others that've lived and died through the series. She's the smart / important one, and the show can't develop everyone. So, I'm fine.

Maybe he'll get some fight/war scenes next year, if there's another war - they could make him the Tyrell commander in lieu of Randyll Tarly.

Pretty much, though Loras Marge is a lighter version of Olenna and Mace,

Obviously the Tyrell men have really been rolled back to emphasize the fact it is the Tyrell women with the smarts etc, if this was in reverse there'd be a much larger outcry but anyway...

I think if the season 2 deleted scene between Marge and Loras talking over Renly's body had been included plus the "candle" line included it would be a lot better as he'd be fleshed out

To be fair in the larger scheme of things Loras has had the same thing done to him as Renly, Mance and oh so many others.

Ultimately it may make sense if they are aiming for 7 seasons, with 10 seasons everyone could have been fleshed out more

Reckon Loras is locked up instead of Marge and is executed towards the end of the season, this will all serve the notion of the Sparrows and the church rising and the nobility (Cersei and Tyrells) as symbolising the downfall of the nobility. In KL anyway

It would be a good sign of Cersei losing control, I reckon she gets him only locked up just to stick one into the Tyrells and trying to be clever but like her WoS it comes back to bite her and then when she needs the Tyrells to back her Loras is executed to symbolise they are losing control.

Loras as Highgarden heir makes any execution a powerful statement by the high sparrow

Loras as Highgarden heir makes any execution a powerful statement by the high sparrow.

A powerfull statement that would led to King's Landing being burned to the ground by the Tyrell's army (if that army even exists on the show). Well, I guess at least Cersei doesn't have to do it herself then and D&D love to make her look like an unfortunate victim.

It's just such a shame what they are doing with his character. I half-expected, half-hoped that Loras and Marg would have a conversation about how he has moved on from Renly, perhaps just a single line or two about it could have saved a lot of Loras character.

Book!Loras is a very unique and interesting character with a lot of good material. Finn Jones is also a very good casting choice and it's just a shame it is not utilize more.

Seeing as how they were basically directing this comment to Sansa, the character they made unbelievably stupid in season 3, I'm going to try my hardest to give them a pass on this one.

Different is fine, but the characterization they are giving him is horrid. Aside from "stereotypical gay guy" they also are making him an idiot at interacting with people. His bumbling dialogue with Cersei was painful to watch.

Their basically ignoring that he is highborn, has been interacting with nobility all his life, is one of the finest knights in the realm AND is an amalgam of multiple characters.

A powerfull statement that would led to King's Landing being burned to the ground by the Tyrell's army (if that army even exists on the show). Well, I guess at least Cersei doesn't have to do it herself then and D&D love to make her look like an unfortunate victim.

Maybe the High Sparrow lets Loras take the Black. Or he could get a trial by combat. I'd be suprised if he was just executed.

Oh, that reminds me: in the books, the Tyrell army did not really react when the High Sparrow imprisoned Margaery, did they? This was weird.

Different is fine, but the characterization they are giving him is horrid. Aside from "stereotypical gay guy" they also are making him an idiot at interacting with people. His bumbling dialogue with Cersei was painful to watch.

Their basically ignoring that he is highborn, has been interacting with nobility all his life, is one of the finest knights in the realm AND is an amalgam of multiple characters.

Well, that's your problem, though. Not everyone can be a genius, and it fell to a character you like not to be one. ...wouldn't it be more within the stereotype to present "the gay guy" as sleek, elegant, the heart of the party etc.?

Personally, I just think he's depressed. I mean, he's basically in S2-S3 Sansa's position, isn't he? Engaged to a horrible Lannister he really, really doesn't want to fuck. Only the thing about the virginity does not apply, so he's making use of that.

Yes, he did. That's why this scene represents character progression. He stopped caring.

Oh, that reminds me: in the books, the Tyrell army did not really react when the High Sparrow imprisoned Margaery, did they? This was weird.

The Tyrell army wasn't in KL, it was at Storm's End. As soon as Mace heard Margaery was imprisoned he rushed to the city with a big chunk of the army

There was a guy in last year's Comic-Con who asked Harington point-blank if he would show dong in the future. That was pretty balsy (I feel there's a vague pun in here somewhere)

Hue. Tbf, id probably do the same thing. Cuz come on, who doesnt want to see Harington dong? Theres thirsty people in the fandom. And my mum.

Seriously, if Loras gets put on trial for being gay....

Its gonna be a very bad day for me.

The Tyrell army wasn't in KL, it was at Storm's End. As soon as Mace heard Margaery was imprisoned he rushed to the city with a big chunk of the army

Well then, something similar will probably happen on the show if Loras is taken. They will rush to the city and then wait until the plot decides if they are needed.

He stopped caring about anything at all. Isn't he supposed to be THE heir of Highgarden? Shouldn't he be... dunno.... be around ruling or learning to it.

Well, hence my conclusion that he's in a depressive, self-destructive spiral. Hopefully, once married, Margaery will press on Tommen to dissolve the betrothal, or something. He can do that, right?

Well, one can hope the Tyrell army rushes to KL, but form the promos it looks like Tyrell army = Olenna, which makes me laugh.

Oh, and it's book!Loras fans problem that we don't like idiotic show!Loras? Funny how this never applies the other way round.

Archived