[BOOK SPOILERS] The Portrayal of Loras

teemo

Aw, it's nice to see more people finally jumping on the "book!Loras was totally assassinated by D&D" train now, when it is way too late for that (and I have given up for good last season already) but at least we got some cute asses Marg & Loras banter here, which I quite like.

Some people found that creepy/incesty, I've read, which I find interesting, as it shows once more how utterly jaded I am (didn't even occur to me, you folks never chat naked with your siblings? ... what?), plus that D&D can probably book that as an total win, as I'm sure the High Sparrow will find what Olyvar will tell of this very outrageous/incesty too.

Both Loras and Margaery will be imprisoned the way I see it, since the Shield Islands attack won't happen in the show she has to get rid of Loras some other way, Cersei plots to imprison both brother and sister and succeeds for a moment, Cersei will think she's winning until the High Sparrow gets more information from Olyvar - the truth, coupled with Lancel's information about Cersei, she gets imprisoned instead.

It's going to be glorious :D

Exactly. :agree:

I'm gay and I don't find the portrayal offensive, just really cringeworthy. I don't think it's correct to say they're showing him being promiscuous, I'd say just horny and led by his peen rather than his bean, so to speak. Of course, that's pretty much the opposite of book Loras.

The thing that made me love book Loras was his devotion to Renly even after death. He was young and could have moved on to other guys, but when the sun has set no candle can replace it. His devotion when other characters are sleeping around stood out and was really meaningful to me. I love that he's known for his brilliance as a jouster and melee fighter rather than being 'the fag' in the book world. People know he's gay but his talent is more meaningful than his sexuality. It's a real shame the same can't be said about the show version.

I think it says a lot that Loras is such a relatively minor character in the books and so many of us feel so strongly about the way he's being portrayed. It means he's a damn good character.

I think it says a lot that Loras is such a relatively minor character in the books and so many of us feel so strongly about the way he's being portrayed. It means he's a damn good character.

I'm obviously biased that way, but there are certain pitfalls of being a relatively minor character too. Seems like D&D's opinion about book!Loras is closer to the "Even Lollys is more interesting than that boy" some poster on the episode thread proclaimed and you can't do much about that.

It would be nice to see him use his other sword and actually contribute something to the plot.

Yeah good luck with that. Seems he has misplaced that for a while now and will not find it again before his arrest either. Ser Loras running around KL without a weapon always makes me eyesroll.

So. Not to gloat or anything but I was complaining about Loras' portrayal back in season three.

Totally called it.

Yah I remember one really long thread where people argued about it but I can't find it.

Yeah, it seems that one of the most sympathetic and good characters (for me) in the books is being reduced to a homosexual stereotype without any real depth in the show. It seems the writers have thrown his celibacy after Renly's death out the window. Bryan Cogman tried to desperately explain that he is still mourning over Renly, and is only having sex with Olyvar to make himself feel happier. It was a shitty explanation, but it at least showed that he at the very, very least cared about the character. D&D however, apparently don't. Shame. And yes, as people have said, it will probably be used later in the plot, as Loras will probably be arrested by the Faith due to his sexuality, and Olyvar will undoubtedly play a part in that, but I still hate what they have done to him to get to that point.

At this point I don't even see the why some are complaining

TV show Loras is the same person he has always been since season 1 ( someone defined by his sexuality)

So this idea that some are claiming to be offended is just plain silly to me

If Im being honest I simply don't care enough about loras as a character to get upset over how he is portrayed

Taken from the Fanfare board of metafilter:

I had to stop the show fives times for my wife.

"OK, this is Loras Tyrell..."
"He's gay?"
"Yes, and..."

So yeah, people seem to forget he's gay between seasons. Also not surprised that the poster couldn't further elaborate about Loras. :bang:

Book Loras seems way more devoted to Renly.

Well, we have still Brienne for that on the show. :rolleyes:

If Im being honest I simply don't care enough about loras as a character to get upset over how he is portrayed

And you're perfectly entiteld to not care about the character, but what's with the complaining about people who do care complaining. That's surprising or ridiculous how?

I don't know how many of you have seen Black Sails but that show is an example as to Loras should have been portrayed as a gay character. I understand D&D wanting to focus on his sexuality but stripping everything else about him is just downright silly.

To be entirely honest, I never got the impression that Loras was much more in the books than what he is in the show. As for the constant Loras/RandomGuy scenes, I find them mostly boring and rather unnecessary to the plot.

A lot of people here are talking about his battle prowess, his cunning and his loyalty to Renly but I just want to remind everyone of the Jamie-Loras conversation at the end of ASoS.

Book!Loras is arrogant, insolent,loyal,hot-headed and romantic.

Show!Loras is gay and wants to get married in fringed sleeves.

“And did you know that I was fifteen? ”

“That as well, my lord.” He smiled.

Jaime hated that smile. “I was better than you, Ser Loras. I was bigger, I was stronger, and I was quicker.”

“And now you’re older,” the boy said. “My lord.”

He had to laugh. This is too absurd. Tyrion would mock me unmercifully if he could hear me now, comparing cocks with this green boy .

“Older and wiser, ser. You should learn from me.”

“As you learned from Ser Boros and Ser Meryn?”

A lot of people here are talking about his battle prowess, his cunning and his loyalty to Renly but I just want to remind everyone of the Jamie-Loras conversation at the end of ASoS.

Book!Loras is arrogant, insolent,loyal,hot-headed and romantic.

Show!Loras is gay and wants to get married in fringed sleeves.

That was a great subtle dig on Loras's part.

an HBO can do better... I mean look at Omar White on The Wire.

I love that he's known for his brilliance as a jouster and melee fighter rather than being 'the fag' in the book world. People know he's gay but his talent is more meaningful than his sexuality. It's a real shame the same can't be said about the show version.

This is the crux of the matter for me (although I do find it disappointing that they just dropped the sun/candle line).

I don't think it's active homophobia, in the sense that I imagine the writers consider themselves quite liberal, but taken together with all that crap at the Wall last year (the sudden, jarring obessions with 'being a man' et al) and the disaster of Jaime and Cersei it suggests that the gender and sexuality politics of the show are absolutely awful. GRRM has been criticised for this sort of thing in the books but I've always felt that he has the basic empathy and intelligence (and critical eye, when descontructing) to deal with it properly. The show just doesn't have that, because they're just not up to it.

Archived