What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Have been keeping it very simple recently and Mrdeedles has been doing most of the cooking. Had a phenomenal sirloin roast this weekend though. It made open sandwiches with red onion marmalade and salad for lunch. I will make a cottage pie with it tomorrow.

Tonight, pan fried salmon, sautée baby potates and whatever veg is brought home.

Lany, I'd use spicy in that way too, meaning lots of spices involved and probably herbs too. I'd use hot if talking about chili. Indian food could be spicy or hot but most commonly when I cook it, both.

Ini, I roast chicken in my Le cruset as well as stews and curries.

Weather finally nice so was outside grilling chicken for barbecue chicken wraps. I pretty much grill year round (even in central Minnesota) since it is my favorite way to cook meat.

Tonight probably homemade brats made from half venison and half pork.

http://imgur.com/f4BtkfM,nLI6TH8,lB8QFG8#0

First image is the pizza + chips I had a few weeks back at HelenaExMachina's recommendation and forgot to upload. I sliced the pizza automatically, although I probably couldn't have wrapped it around those beastly chips anyway. Couldn't handle a burger too either, sorry Eyron!

Second is Paella I had the other night. Admittedly, used a cheat kit my Mum had got me, but it tasted pretty good anyway. I did ritually slaughter a chicken that day, but in the end it wasn't used in the Paella so feel free to call me a phoney.

Third is the salad I made for tea last night, the first salad I've eaten as a student in two years. Feta, red onion, rocket leaves and chilli sauce. Tasted amazing. Toasted wholemeal pittas are a lot better than expected. The cheese-grater is just for show.

I feel like none of the above really constitute what I'd consider proper cooking, so I guess I'm just uploading them because they were really enjoyable. Sharing is caring.

Unless I am mistaken, traditional paella contains rabbit, so I feel yes, we should call you a phoney :p btw, did you cook it in a wok on the stove top? Or do you have a paella pan? (I realise how unlikely the latter is :p)

i have become rather obsessed with putting meat on sticks lately. i suppose it is my primitive brain coming through.

tonight is a kofta kebab with beef seasoned with chili, garlic, onion, cumin, mint and parsley with a nice salad of cucumber, feta and romaine with a side of asparagus.

Note to self: Must Google "kofta kebab."

Nothing so wondrous around the Tears' household. For us it's a simple roasted chicken (it's been brined.) Some mashed potatoes and broccoli.

And I think I'll have some wine. An insouciant, playful semi-dry Riesling, I think. If it gets too playful, I'll knock it back... er, down.

I'm challenging myself to do a House themed dish for every Game of Thrones viewing party I go to. This week I baked a cake for House Stark, with lemons and strawberries for Sansa and halfmoon cookies for Arya.

http://i.imgur.com/Ek1ipU9.png?1

Last week I did Targaryen brownies and next week I'll do a Martell queso dip.

I've never brined a chicken. Do you guys think it's worth it? How do you do it? Does it not interfere with delicious crispy chicken skin.

I always buy free range higher welfare, slower grown chickens and they are tasty to begin with so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I'm challenging myself to do a House themed dish for every Game of Thrones viewing party I go to. This week I baked a cake for House Stark, with lemons and strawberries for Sansa and halfmoon cookies for Arya.

http://i.imgur.com/Ek1ipU9.png?1

Last week I did Targaryen brownies and next week I'll do a Martell queso dip.

Just released passage from The Winds of Winter

Doran gazed incredulously at the ghost before him. If he could stand, he would have fallen to his knees, faint from shock and wonder. There before him, with distorted and broken visage, his younger and previously very handsome brother.

"Pass the Tostitos, brother." hissed Oberyn. "We have so much to discuss."

I've never brined a chicken. Do you guys think it's worth it? How do you do it? Does it not interfere with delicious crispy chicken skin.

I always buy free range higher welfare, slower grown chickens and they are tasty to begin with so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

brining actually improves the crisping of meats.

my standard is 1cup of kosher salt, 1/4 cup of sugar, honey, maple, agave, 1 gallon of water and any aromatics you like. lemon, thyme, bay leaf, chili flake, peppercorn, anything you want to impart.

bring the brine to a boil, chill it. submerge your bird overnight.

for maximum crispitude allow it to dry in the fridge before roasting. the crisp to the skin will previously be unknown and the meat will be moist, tender and imparted with whatever flavors you added to your brine.

i am very pro brine.

Humbly submit we change the thread title to "Ways to make Larry drool"

I'm having leftover chicken cacciatorre (sp?) I made the other night.

Just released passage from The Winds of Winter

Doran gazed incredulously at the ghost before him. If he could stand, he would have fallen to his knees, faint from shock and wonder. There before him, with distorted and broken visage, his younger and previously very handsome brother.

"Pass the Tostitos, brother." hissed Oberyn. "We have so much to discuss."

Well now I'm just unable to suspend my disbelief.

How does even a brave Dornishman eat tortilla chips with splintered teeth?

I can attest to the fact that even a half-assed brine improves a roast chicken. I'll sometimes just use salt, sugar, lots of fresh cracked pepper, and brine it for as long as I can. (For a night, preferably, although today I just had chicken parts and was able to get away with around 4-5 hours.) Drying it off well is the least that should be done.

Yeah it was the wok :P Thoroughly recommend one if you don't have one. I doubt they're better than a regular pan in any meaningful way, but they are cooler and easier to wash up. Maybe slightly more versatile, although I generally make chilli/curry/pasta in a regular pan.

Already on it ;) I cook everything in a wok, its just so much easier :p

Leap, it's ok, I understand. I can't imagine why someone would want to make a Calskrove in the first place.

I should invest in a new wok pan by the sound of it. Mine is a huge cast iron and easy-to-use is not what comes to mind.

Piri piri chicken with collard greens and coconut lime mashed plantains.

I've seen a bunch of places doing variations on piri piri. My wife first encountered it, and this exposed me, many years ago when studying abroad in Botswana. I like the fact that we were eating it before it was cool, even if it really burned the roofs of our mouths.

(For Larry)

Archived