Mance (BOOK SPOILERS)

I think it's safe to say that he is dead. Sansa is probably going to Winterfell and the whole fArya plot won't be in the show, so Mance really has no reason to stay around.

And I gotta admit, I was never too big on the whole "Rattleshirt was burned instead of Mance" business.

At least show Mance went out like a boss in pretty memorable scene.

I guess my question is...since the mance/rattleshirt glamour thing is most likely cut from the show what will be the point of ratteshirt now? Unless I'm missing something which is possible.

Pretty sure he's just playing a Wilding rebel leader from the Battle aftermath northside, someone the audience will recognise from his mask, but also someone to provide conflict for Jon/Tormund when trying to convince them to leave Hardhome.

I think it's safe to say that he is dead. Sansa is probably going to Winterfell and the whole fArya plot won't be in the show, so Mance really has no reason to stay around.

And I gotta admit, I was never too big on the whole "Rattleshirt was burned instead of Mance" business.

At least show Mance went out like a boss in pretty memorable scene.

I think rattleshirt is coming back as he is credited in season 5, so he'll probably be doing whatever mance is doing in the book?? and if it is betrayal well he would fit the bill characterwise moreso than mance. Why is Sansa going to winterfell. At the current state in the show winterfell is still a wreck and the northerns scattered so no army in aiting there? LF wouldn't risk his prize asset like that after all he hasnt an army to protect her or indeed himself. It would seem too direct a move for him. Then again I dont think anyone has figured out what he is doing in the books or the show.

Everyone knows sansa is alive in the show and book her value is in being a bride. She is still Tyrions wife (is that right) She adds legitimacy to someone with an army as a bride of winterfell. But without an army shes just someone on cersies hitlist.

I dont know where she is going but ifs winterfell whats the gameplan for her and LF??

It would be a massive taint on Mance's character if he consented with a plan to burn somebody else in his place after that conversation with Jon. It also really ruins that moment of wildling mourning and Jon making a stand if that wasn't Mance. That bait and switch would feel really bad if the show pulled it, even more so since Rattleshirt hasn't been built up as a villain.

Further, the Mance of the show isn't a trickster bard who scampers around in crypts. Show Mance moves slow. Mance is one of the most honest characters in the show. You would never send show Mance to infiltrate Winterfell.

And Mance acted just like Mance in the burning scene. Maybe one of his lieutenants could have impersonated Mance effectively, but that seems kind of doubtful.

:agree:

I'm a bit late here as I only just watched the episode now, but I thought that this was a stupid change (I knew it was coming, even though I didn't think they'd really do this). Aside from the fact that Mance was a really good character who was criminally underused on TV despite being played by a very good actor, his role was too significant to just snuff out like that. And it was a great twist in ADWD I thought when you find out that he wasn't really burned.

I'm a bit late here as I only just watched the episode now, but I thought that this was a stupid change (I knew it was coming, even though I didn't think they'd really do this). Aside from the fact that Mance was a really good character who was criminally underused on TV despite being played by a very good actor, his role was too significant to just snuff out like that. And it was a great twist in ADWD I thought when you find out that he wasn't really burned.

I disagree

This is one of those rare moments that I thought the show made the right call and the books made a mistake

The whole Mance being glamoured subplot was one of the few storylines in the books that just seemed silly to me.

The idea that Mance would be ok with someone being burned alive in his place ruined his character for me and what was even more crazy was when Jon finds out about it he threatens Mance by having Gilly's baby pretend to be Mance's baby and tells him if he wants his baby back he has to go on a mission to rescue his sister Arya

both Jon and Mance seemed completely out of character.

The glamour subplot to me was one of George's few missteps

Archived