The show messed up the Maggy the Frog Scene

Drakath

I know you think I am referring to the whole skipping of the Valonqar part, but that is not what I am complaining about. Did anyone else notice that Maggy did not mention Robert and Cersei's child that died in infancy? It was an invention of the show, but it seemed overlooked by D&D. It seems so strange that they would invent something entirely and then forget about it.

i thought it would've been better if it showed Melara's stuff as well.

Because at the start Cersei says "you don't need to be afraid of my father" which made me think they were foreshadowing her pushing Melara down the well.

Other than that i thought this was easily my favourite scene of the episode. Dare i say young Cersei was better than adult Cersei?

Yes the show suffers from discontinuity at times, got used to that long time ago. I don't think it ruined the scene though.

1. Aging Maggy down allows her to possibly show up again in the series as an older version of herself. How or why that would work in the show - I don't know. Considering she's a witch, I doubt it would really matter if she looked the same 20 years later, but it's a thought.

2. It served the dialogue of the scene that she didn't look awful like Cersei thought. "You're boring," was a pretty good line.

3. There's also the possibility this prophecy isn't over with, considering the Valonqar hasn't been mentioned. She did get her three prophecies:

"When will we Marry?"

"But I will be Queen?"

"Will the King and I have children?"

But that's not to say they're done with Maggy for the season. The flashback could be revisited later on for the actual third question. Going back to the idea of why they might have casted a younger Maggy for a second, Maggy could transform into the aged Maggy with cat's teeth and three eyes Cersei has heard about for the third prophecy. Thing is, I don't know where the Valonqar would fit in well, considering Tyrion would be totally out of the picture in the later episodes for that to have as strong of a meaning. But remember in the books GRRM teases this prophecy often through AFFC, but we don't receive all of it at once. D&D could be doing the same thing.

1. Aging Maggy down allows her to possibly show up again in the series as an older version of herself. How or why that would work in the show - I don't know. Considering she's a witch, I doubt it would really matter if she looked the same 20 years later, but it's a thought.

2. It served the dialogue of the scene that she didn't look awful like Cersei thought. "You're boring," was a pretty good line.

3. There's also the possibility this prophecy isn't over with, considering the Valonqar hasn't been mentioned. She did get her three prophecies:

"When will we Marry?"

"But I will be Queen?"

"Will the King and I have children?"

But that's not to say they're done with Maggy for the season. The flashback could be revisited later on for the actual third question. Going back to the idea of why they might have casted a younger Maggy for a second, Maggy could transform into the aged Maggy with cat's teeth and three eyes Cersei has heard about for the third prophecy. Thing is, I don't know where the Valonqar would fit in well, considering Tyrion would be totally out of the picture in the later episodes for that to have as strong of a meaning. But remember in the books GRRM teases this prophecy often through AFFC, and we receive it until later. D&D could be doing the same thing.

:agree: This sums it up quite nicely.

Yeah, i don't think Cersei's first kid counts. The books imply that it is customary in Westeros to name children only after they've lived for a while (probably due to the high infant mortality rate in a medieval setting). That's why people in Westeros don't celebrate birthdays but namedays. We know for a fact that wildlings don't name their kids for a year.

So i'm guessing a child only counts as a child once it is named.

Chill people. Damn. Not everything has to be word for word from the book.

The black haired child likely doesn't count, just like Stannis boys that didn't make it don't count in this world.

And who says this is the last we will see of the prophecy? They may finish the flash back later and even have Cersie kill her friend.

Perhaps Lena made up this whole story about her son by Robert in the show? After all, show Cat was stupid, she wouldn't have known whether Cersei ever had a child who died in infancy. And Cersei also suddenly seems to be into both Robert and Rhaegar in the show? Why did they mention Rhaegar there - Cersei having the hots for both Rhaegar and Robert makes no sense.

No, the story is confirmed twice -- Robert and Cersei talk about the loss of the boy in episode 5 or 6, and in the post-episode extras at some point David and Dan treat the story as true.

And who says this is the last we will see of the prophecy? They may finish the flash back later and even have Cersie kill her friend.

I think that's likely. Here is a report from a board member (that I trimmed)

Frey family reunion, on 01 Mar 2015 - 3:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Well, just got back from Nacogdoches, Texas and I have to say, I had a great time at the event. George Martin is a really engaging speaker, and between the panels, the shows, and the Q & A's he basically hosted the event for a five and a half hour period, much longer than I anticipated. ........

I did get to ask him that since memories of past events were such an important part of the books, was the show planning on having flashbacks to convey this info to the fans of the HBO series. He surprisingly confirmed that at least two flashbacks were planned this season for that very reason, and anything after that was in the hands of Benioff and Weiss.

I guess it could be something else, like Dany's vision quest, but Cersei is more likely at this point imo

Archived