Maggy and the THREE questions

I just watched the episode again and, correct me if I'm wrong, Maggy says that Cersei can ask her 3 questions.

However, paying attention to it, I realized Cersei just asked 2! If she would marry the prince (or something along those lines), and if the king and her would have children.

Is it still possible that the THIRD question (possibly leading Maggy to tell her about the valonqar) will still be shown or mentioned later in the show?

She asks three questions: When will I marry the prince? But I'll be queen? How many children will we have?

Just as in the book.

Without being able to rewatch it to confirm (NOT on my work laptop, or work network, even if I am on officially sanctioned unassigned, thumb twiddling time), I think she actually gets 4 in, although it's not answered.

Doesn't she ask "How is that possible?" To the he will have 20, you will have 3 bit?

Without being able to rewatch it to confirm (NOT on my work laptop, or work network, even if I am on officially sanctioned unassigned, thumb twiddling time), I think she actually gets 4 in, although it's not answered.

Doesn't she ask "How is that possible?" To the he will have 20, you will have 3 bit?

No, she says "That doesn't make sense" and Maggy then goes on to say "Gold will be their crowns" etc etc.

It's possible that they'll come back to the flashback later and add the valonquar bit (which is really quite important, and explains a lot her hatred and fear of Tyrion), and the fate of Melara. I wish they do.

It's possible that they'll come back to the flashback later and add the valonquar bit (which is really quite important, and explains a lot her hatred and fear of Tyrion), and the fate of Melara. I wish they do.

It's unnecessary, though. She has every reason to hate Tyrion because she believes he killed their mother- which is the reason the book gave until we saw the prophecy bit.

IMO, they are better off without it. It gives too much away about the future...what the show has done by cutting it is put the emphasis on the 'younger queen' part, which gives her reason to hate Margaery and creates a much needed conflict in King's Landing now that most of the characters are gone.

It's unnecessary, though. She has every reason to hate Tyrion because she believes he killed their mother- which is the reason the book gave until we saw the prophecy bit.

IMO, they are better off without it. It gives too much away about the future...what the show has done by cutting it is put the emphasis on the 'younger queen' part, which gives her reason to hate Margaery and creates a much needed conflict in King's Landing now that most of the characters are gone.

We already had that w/out a prophecy, if the only purpose was to give extra reason why she hates Marg it was a waste of screen time and casting budget. In fact, it's standard stuff...the mother in law has trouble letting go, whether she's queen or not...there is no need for any visionary angle to make that believable or important.

if the only purpose was to give extra reason why she hates Marg it was a waste of screen time and casting budget.

but that wasn't the only purpose of that scene

The scene was also about Cersei's kids and how they both could be in great danger .

I have a feeling that this part of the prophecy is going to become a lot more relevant by the end of this season

Well, wether she has every reason to hate him or not is arguable. You can't really blame a child for being born, as Jamie tries to explain Cercei. But anyway the valonquar prophecy wouldn't only inspire hatred, it would provoke fear. Yes, she already hates him for their mother, but that wouldn't explain the fear. She's afraid of him because she thinks he'll kill her, because the prophecy said so.

I think the emphasis of the prophecy is in the death of her children. And it reminds us that there is a younger, more beautiful queen: Cercei believes it to be Margery, which explains much of her hatred for her, but we know it might not be her at all.

Well, wether she has every reason to hate him or not is arguable. You can't really blame a child for being born, as Jamie tries to explain Cercei. But anyway the valonquar prophecy wouldn't only inspire hatred, it would provoke fear. Yes, she already hates him for their mother, but that wouldn't explain the fear. She's afraid of him because she thinks he'll kill her, because the prophecy said so.

No, because he had already killed their father, and logic dictates that he'll be coming for her next.

Well, wether she has every reason to hate him or not is arguable. You can't really blame a child for being born, as Jamie tries to explain Cercei.

Of course you can't...but that never stopped Cersei, now did it? She's not acting logically...she's acting emotionally. And she's never forgiven Tyrion for being born and their mother dying for him.

But anyway the valonquar prophecy wouldn't only inspire hatred, it would provoke fear.

Tyrion just killed his own father...why on earth wouldn't Cersei be afraid of the brother she has hated openly her entire life when he just killed the man that hated him openly his entire life?

Yes, she already hates him for their mother, but that wouldn't explain the fear. She's afraid of him because she thinks he'll kill her, because the prophecy said so.

Don't need a prophecy to be afraid that the little brother you tormented your entire life will come for you one day for accusing him of murder. I think you need to forget about the books and see this from the perspective of the show. And from that perspective, it makes complete sense without the entire little brother crap.

I think the emphasis of the prophecy is in the death of her children. And it reminds us that there is a younger, more beautiful queen: Cercei believes it to be Margery, which explains much of her hatred for her, but we know it might not be her at all.

Well, the emphasis is on the younger, prettier queen who will cast her down...obviously, Cersei is going to connect the queen and the death of her children.

She asks three questions: When will I marry the prince? But I'll be queen? How many children will we have?

Just as in the book.

Yeah, but to me it just sounded more like a retorical question... You're right tho :/

I guess I'm just wishful to hear about the valonqar bit cause it adds the doubt about if the valonqar really is Tyrion and shows the problems wih prophecies.

Of course you can't...but that never stopped Cersei, now did it? She's not acting logically...she's acting emotionally. And she's never forgiven Tyrion for being born and their mother dying for him.

Cersei is quite aware that Tyrion is not to blame for their mother's death. When one of the no-names (Tyroshi, I think) brings her a dwarf's head later and says that Tyrion already murdered his mother when he was born, Cersei thinks to herself "what a load of bull".

She does use the exact same argument, however, when she is emotional and tries to win Jaimie over. She either gets herself raged up enough to believe it in that state - or she just uses it because it has some emotional impact on Jaimie and she is in need of an argument.

Cool and rational Cersei, however, does not blame him.

She does use the exact same argument, however, when she is emotional and tries to win Jaimie over. She either gets herself raged up enough to believe it in that state - or she just uses it because it has some emotional impact on Jaimie and she is in need of an argument.

That proves how little she knows him as Jaime cares little for their mother...

I doubt they are going to revisit that flashback. Given that the actors tend to update their CVs with directors and episode numbers, we probably would already know if they were going to. But I haven't read the casting thread in a while.

The point of the flashback was to put a target on Tommen and Myrcella, who are both in dangerous situations this season. It is kind of a misdirect, since neither is likely to die this season, but both are probably toast before the series ends. Same as Stannis' leeches - a misdirect for their season, but eventually should come true.

A second point of the flashback is to bolster the audience's faith in Margery and Dany - the two obvious candidates for the Younger Beautiful Queen. Both have been in holding patterns for a while, maybe the prophesy makes either or both look more dynamic by making it seem more likely they'll succeed in their goals.

There is no way that the show would have used the word "valonqar" since that isn't a real word. So a lot of the same fans that are furious that part of the prophesy was omitted would have been furious that the prophesy wording was changed. Further, the show has already well established the tensions between Cersei and her brothers. It doesn't need additional foreshadowing of trouble there.

If it was up to me, there would be no Maggy at all in the show. I felt it was an unnecessary addition to both book and show.

But atleast they removed the Valonqar prophecy, a potential spoiler of Cersei's death which we don't need to know until it happens. Her paranoia this season is easily explained without the whole flashback, and I don't think it serves for anything other than remind us that Tommen and Myrcella are in danger (which we already knew) and that she fears Margaery will take away her power (which we already knew)

Archived