[book+show spoilers] stannis's plan now

ToTheWolves

I guess this sort of kind of happens in the book too, but I can't recall if it was this straight forward.

So in the show stannis's plan is(was)to use the wildlings to take the north. With mance dead now I can't see the wildlings wanting to still fight for stannis,honestly I'm not sure if they would have in the first place(even if mance had bent the knee) so assuming that the wildlings will still not fight for stannis. Do you guys think in the show next we will get stannis offer to jon to unite the north to his cause? The reason I ask is because on the show D&D haven't really gone into depth that much about how vast the north is and the families it holds. unsullied will know of the boltons and maybe some will remember the umbers,but I was just wondering if this could possibly lead to jon declining and telling stannis how to win over the north and maybe even manderly NEXT SEASON???

In the show, it's been mentioned a few times that the North is half of Westeros (Joffrey/Cersei scene for one example ("anyone who is not us is our enemy") when Joffrey wants at least 10,000 or 20,000 Northmen for the Kings's Army to keep the North in check).

Book - Stannis leaves before most of the Free Folk are brought through the gates (Jon sends Val off to find Tormund and the scattered ones after Stannis departs). Since the Free Folk believe Mance dead, they basically turn to Jon (Lord Commander by this time) as their leader, or 'king' (they give 'offerings' to the Night's Watch as demanded by Jon).

Stannis is shown in a 'war camp tent' in the trailers, so Jon's advice would have been given by this season. Whether or not Stannis takes on Winterfell with an army of Free Folk or Northrons is yet to be determined. It wouldn't make much difference to the battle, except in the time alloted to define the Northrons, and the staggering amount of extras needed to touch upon every House and Clan, along with the Free Folk.

Will the Winterfell battle happen this season? It probably would if they keep up with the episode 9 formula. My fingers are crossed, for sure! :)

I really hope we actually get some Wyman Manderly action. Has he been confirmed for the show yet? Having to wait on his Davos interaction is killing me that was some of my favorite stuff in the two latest books. Also would be nice to see Stannis turning the Karstarks around, but I've learned not to ask for too much by now.

No confirmation on the Manderly's yet (I will miss Wylla's speech!) and if Davos is going to look for Rickon, it'll most likely be in the direction of the Umbers, as that is where Osha was taking the little guy when the Starklets split up (I hope I'm remembering that right).

I haven't heard anything about the Freys so far, either.

The pace the show is on, I think the Winterfell situation has to resolve this season. Its possible it will end on a cliffhanger and we'll find out that resolution was in episode 1 next season (although the show generally doesn't do cliffhangers), but I think this season ends with either Stannis or Roose dead (Ramsay may still have a part to play on his own, even if the Boltons are defeated as a military force). And with the extra emphasis on Stannis that the reviewers say is in the next few episodes, along with the bits and pieces we have from the book, I think Stannis wins. And then season six starts with Stannis marching to whatever he does next (presumably either heading into the Riverlands or back to the Wall) with the North united behind him.

Or, if the Boltons win, then season six probably won't feature them much until they have to confront the Others themselves (for narrative reasons; because they wouldn't be heading into the Riverlands and they don't seem like the type to go help the Wall). Either way, I think Northern politics won't feature into season six; whatever limited amount we get this season will be whatever we get.

No confirmation on the Manderly's yet (I will miss Wylla's speech!) and if Davos is going to look for Rickon, it'll most likely be in the direction of the Umbers, as that is where Osha was taking the little guy when the Starklets split up (I hope I'm remembering that right).

I haven't heard anything about the Freys so far, either.

IIRC the Greatjon is showing back up, so i geuss they could transfer manderly's stuff to him.

you know my friends who don't read the books have a huge problem with stannis. they just don't understand why he listens to mel who is so nutty. why did he come north anyways for an army yes, but why can't he figure that out himself why does he need mel to give him military advice. stannis great military commander doesn't really reflect well onscreen when in the first big battle he was defeated by tyrion and then he chose to kill renly instead fighting it out with honorably, and he comes to north because mel tells him to.

I've got a string suspicion that episode 10 will have the pink letter. We won't see the Battle of Ice but we will hear about it from Jon just like in the books. Last thing we hear from Stannis's camp is the line from the trailer about "now is the time and I will risk everything".

that is very good guess. i don't think it will be a fairy tale ending for stannis. stannis and sansa both in trouble boltons are too evil to lose this easily. hero jon have to come to the rescue. then we could have the ultimate fight, battle for winterfell. oh yeah have to factor in when jon gets stabbed.

The pace the show is on, I think the Winterfell situation has to resolve this season. Its possible it will end on a cliffhanger and we'll find out that resolution was in episode 1 next season (although the show generally doesn't do cliffhangers), but I think this season ends with either Stannis or Roose dead (Ramsay may still have a part to play on his own, even if the Boltons are defeated as a military force). And with the extra emphasis on Stannis that the reviewers say is in the next few episodes, along with the bits and pieces we have from the book, I think Stannis wins. And then season six starts with Stannis marching to whatever he does next (presumably either heading into the Riverlands or back to the Wall) with the North united behind him.

Or, if the Boltons win, then season six probably won't feature them much until they have to confront the Others themselves (for narrative reasons; because they wouldn't be heading into the Riverlands and they don't seem like the type to go help the Wall). Either way, I think Northern politics won't feature into season six; whatever limited amount we get this season will be whatever we get.

stannis is more interesting in winning the throne than what is happening beyond the wall. i predict that ramsay is going to kill roose because roose is going to try to control ramsay from messing up and ramsay is going to snap. i think the boltons will be defeated too but i don't know if they will kill ramsay he might flee they might have use for him to still do more damage, he is the last psychotic human villain left on the show.

Yes he will make the offer to Jon but it appears that Jon won't get involved in helping Stannis at all, so no council from Jon on bringing Manderly to his side or his advice not to attack the Dreadfort, to attack Deepwood Motte instead etc...

that is very good guess. i don't think it will be a fairy tale ending for stannis. stannis and sansa both in trouble boltons are too evil to lose this easily. hero jon have to come to the rescue. then we could have the ultimate fight, battle for winterfell. oh yeah have to factor in when jon gets stabbed.

Jon won't make it in time to do anything. It took Stannis more than a month to march from Deepwood to Winterfell, which is less than half the distance from Castle Black to Winterfell, and he managed to make some of that distance before the blizzard set in. It would be almost inconceivable that Jon could recover from his stabbing/death, sort out the situation at Castle Black, and then spend months marching down in time to save the day (... with his small force of mutinous watchmen and untrained wildlings for that matter).

While the show probably won't include most of that Jon will still be messing around at Hardhome, so I think expecting them to change it to Jon saving the day is unrealistic either way.

you know my friends who don't read the books have a huge problem with stannis. they just don't understand why he listens to mel who is so nutty. why did he come north anyways for an army yes, but why can't he figure that out himself why does he need mel to give him military advice. stannis great military commander doesn't really reflect well onscreen when in the first big battle he was defeated by tyrion and then he chose to kill renly instead fighting it out with honorably, and he comes to north because mel tells him to.

She doesn't, she's just like "whooo worship the Lord of Light" and Stannis is like "well, you got me Renly's army and then when you weren't there I lost, so I should keep you around as a good luck charm" and then he makes all the military decisions.

As far as Jon giving Stannis some advice, I'd be happy if that wasn't included but not annoyed if it was, Stannis doesn't need telling, he's a peerless military mind.

:frown5: Reminders of Jon's final chapter in ADWD.

You can't really say that Stannis should have fought it out honourably against Renly when Renly had 20 times more men than he had. If Stannis had fought honourably he would effectively have been committing suicide.

Archived