Vikings VII: We'll always have Paris [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

And some snakes. Uwahahahaha! Maybe ill make popcorn for my viewing tomorrow. Especially if Odin is involved.

Popcorn is always good.

They've made the Ragnar character so interesting and compelling that is going to be hard to watch the show after he dies.

Then I was thinking, is he going to get to go to Valhalla? He's not going to die in battle but in a snake pit.

Maybe hedging his bets by being baptized is a good thing :smile:

Looks like round 3 in the season finale.

That little wanderer couldn't bring Christianity to Kattegat, but Ragnar will.

A good episode overall. Travis's performance was top notch.

Good observations. I suspect Rollos conversion will be imminent given Princess Gisla.

Another great episode. The season is really closing out strong.

The Siegfied trick was the best. I loved his enjoyment from it. :D

Also, Ragnar may have the swagger, but I'm still team Rollo all the way. The tunnel scene was some badass shit!

Still don't care about anything going on in Kattegat.

Also, Ragnar may have the swagger, but I'm still team Rollo all the way. The tunnel scene was some badass shit!

Definitely been Rollos best season imo, he's at his most likable for sure

Good observations. I suspect Rollos conversion will be imminent given Princess Gisla.

for sure I'm sure count Oddo or whatever will be pissed about that :D

I live for your commentary.

Thank you.

:blushing:

Was it just me or was Bjorn mimicking Ragnar this ep?

I definitely got that feeling, too. I think they're building either him and/or Rollo up to be the male leads should Ragnar bite it next season, and part of that is making Bjorn more of a leader. I'd love to see him mature to the point where he's quietly observing while everyone else is getting drunk. Also, once he learns that his annoying gf/wife/whatever has left Kattegat, he'll become a darker character next season. Hopefully not full Emo, though.

Yeah, this episode was definitely not as good as last weeks pretty stelar one. At this point, I wish I could have been there in the room whenever Hirst was writing these episodes. That way, everytime Hirst started to write a Wessex or Viking Free Paris scene I could just wack him on the hands with a ruler. 'Bad Hirst, bad!' I would say and I think the show would have greatly benefitted from it.

Especially the Wessex scenes, those are just unbelievably stupid. Yes, Aethelwulf is a religious fanatic, but he's not an incompetent sycophant or an otherwise unworthy heir. On top of that, he's also slavishly loyal to his old man. I just don't understand Ecbert continued disdain for him. The whole storyline is pretty effing dumb. Especially when it all turns out to be a ploy by Ecbert to enable him to hump Judith (I mean she's pretty hot, but still). I knew that reveal was coming, but I was hoping against all odds that Hirst would take the high road and have Ecbert ask Judith's help in his plot to take over Northumbria or something else. The dialogue leading up to the reveal was also pretty terrible, way to Tudorish for this show.

The Paris scenes were good when Siegfried was a part of them. Really, anything Viking brightens up my day. I agree with posters above that they could have done more with the character, but at least he got a couple of great moments this episode. The hair moment was indeed very reminiscent of Kevin Costner's Robin Hood :D The later scenes without him though... Pretty painful. The emperor's 'I understand both these points of view' line was hilariously awful.

Luckily, the Vikings themselves brought the goods as always. Lagertha's ghost recon moment was really awesome and it was nice to see her front and center in a combat action. it was nicely shot as well imo, although I have to say that those Franks must have been the worst guards in the entire Frankian nation. The rest of the scene was pretty awesome as well, although I admit laughing a bit to much about that rolling spiked cilinder thingy. Like, paging all historians and/or Vikings fans, but has such a contraption ever been used like that? I mean it looked awfully unpractical from where I was standing. Still, it gave Rollo a moment to shine and there was a pretty funny Floki shot so I'll give that one a pass.

The scenes in Kattegat were nice as well. At first I was rolling my eyes so hard (not exactly Ragnar style, but I came pretty close), because I do not like the supernatural seeping into this series. When the truth came out and that missionary burned his hand I was almost rolling on the floor. Just hillarious, but then again the episode as a whole was surprisingly funny. I have to agree with Jack Bauer 24 though, the names on screen were pretty unnecessary. It's not a major thing, but it does bug me a little.

The best scenes by far belonged to Ragnar (per the usual). His visions were done pretty well. That's how I like the Gods to be included in this show. Perhaps Ragnar really saw those things, but it's far more likely that his wounds made him hallucinate. It leaves some wiggle room, which was absent from the Harbard scenes earlier on.

Another thing I liked was the subtlety of the timejump this week. I have always liked that in Vikings, because they really do want you to pay attention. Quite a lot of time must have passed since last week's episode. I mean, Ivar was pretty big already and even more telling, Bjorn was standing on his feet again, after getting some grievious injuries last week. That in turn gave a lot more meaning to Ragnar's baptism. Last week, Bjorn seemed to have far greater injuries than Ragnar, but Bjorn has gotten better while Ragnar conditions seem to have worsened.

His speech was another great Ragnar moment. He's definitely grooming Bjorn to become a leader. That has been quite a consistent theme this season. It's also vital for this show's survival. Ragnar will probably die in a season or two and Bjorn must be believable capable of wrecking shit up in order to give this show a chance at survival. I mean, Travis Fimmel really is the star of this show and I have a hard time imagining Vikings without Ragnar's energy and enigmatic schemes. The other castmembers are great as well, but they all play off Ragnar's action.

I'm not buying that Ragnar will die next week, but it is a possibility I think. Hirst definitely wants us to think so with the promo's. I don't think Ragnar has been faking his injuries either, as someone has suggested up thread. However, I do think he'll fake his own death next week and ask to be burried in holy ground or something like that. There is no way for this season to end before the Vikings have sacked Paris.

His speech was another great Ragnar moment. He's definitely grooming Bjorn to become a leader. That has been quite a consistent theme this season. It's also vital for this show's survival. Ragnar will probably die in a season or two and Bjorn must be believable capable of wrecking shit up in order to give this show a chance at survival. I mean, Travis Fimmel really is the star of this show and I have a hard time imagining Vikings without Ragnar's energy and enigmatic schemes. The other castmembers are great as well, but they all play off Ragnar's action.

I'm not buying that Ragnar will die next week, but it is a possibility I think. Hirst definitely wants us to think so with the promo's. I don't think Ragnar has been faking his injuries either, as someone has suggested up thread. However, I do think he'll fake his own death next week and ask to be burried in holy ground or something like that. There is no way for this season to end before the Vikings have sacked Paris.

It would be hard to see Vikings without Travis. He does such outstanding work--he really is the heart and soul of the show. But, if they are keeping with tradition and with myth, then at some point they are going to have to put him aside. I highly doubt it will be next week, though. I'm guessing Ragnar gets at least one more season.

Speaking of Travis: Baptism scene. Loved him here (and the music)

Luckily, the Vikings themselves brought the goods as always. Lagertha's ghost recon moment was really awesome and it was nice to see her front and center in a combat action. it was nicely shot as well imo, although I have to say that those Franks must have been the worst guards in the entire Frankian nation. The rest of the scene was pretty awesome as well, although I admit laughing a bit to much about that rolling spiked cilinder thingy. Like, paging all historians and/or Vikings fans, but has such a contraption ever been used like that? I mean it looked awfully unpractical from where I was standing. Still, it gave Rollo a moment to shine and there was a pretty funny Floki shot so I'll give that one a pass.

Agreed. Was completely wondering the same thing. Do they build their bridge so it runs down hill? Otherwise it would maybe make it 10 yards? Giant hamster inside for power? Seemed extremely stupid and impractical. It would basically ensure your troops can't retake the other guard tower at the end of the bridge since it would take like two people to defend from the other side of the giant spool of spikes.

Agreed. Was completely wondering the same thing. Do they build their bridge so it runs down hill? Otherwise it would maybe make it 10 yards? Giant hamster inside for power? Seemed extremely stupid and impractical. It would basically ensure your troops can't retake the other guard tower at the end of the bridge since it would take like two people to defend from the other side of the giant spool of spikes.

Well the giant spool of spike can be retracted, provided the other side doesn't have a guy with a couple of big spears to stop it. It's a shock weapon, more than a practical one, considering how some of the Vikings that got impaled on it didn't immediately die. Seeing those poor sobs writhing on the spikes reminded me of the steel tree from Hyperion, which I read a few months ago.

Yeah, this episode was definitely not as good as last weeks pretty stelar one. At this point, I wish I could have been there in the room whenever Hirst was writing these episodes. That way, everytime Hirst started to write a Wessex or Viking Free Paris scene I could just wack him on the hands with a ruler. 'Bad Hirst, bad!' I would say and I think the show would have greatly benefitted from it.

Especially the Wessex scenes, those are just unbelievably stupid. Yes, Aethelwulf is a religious fanatic, but he's not an incompetent sycophant or an otherwise unworthy heir. On top of that, he's also slavishly loyal to his old man. I just don't understand Ecbert continued disdain for him. The whole storyline is pretty effing dumb. Especially when it all turns out to be a ploy by Ecbert to enable him to hump Judith (I mean she's pretty hot, but still). I knew that reveal was coming, but I was hoping against all odds that Hirst would take the high road and have Ecbert ask Judith's help in his plot to take over Northumbria or something else. The dialogue leading up to the reveal was also pretty terrible, way to Tudorish for this show.

The Paris scenes were good when Siegfried was a part of them. Really, anything Viking brightens up my day. I agree with posters above that they could have done more with the character, but at least he got a couple of great moments this episode. The hair moment was indeed very reminiscent of Kevin Costner's Robin Hood :D The later scenes without him though... Pretty painful. The emperor's 'I understand both these points of view' line was hilariously awful.

The scenes in Kattegat were nice as well. At first I was rolling my eyes so hard (not exactly Ragnar style, but I came pretty close), because I do not like the supernatural seeping into this series. When the truth came out and that missionary burned his hand I was almost rolling on the floor. Just hillarious, but then again the episode as a whole was surprisingly funny. I have to agree with Jack Bauer 24 though, the names on screen were pretty unnecessary. It's not a major thing, but it does bug me a little.

The best scenes by far belonged to Ragnar (per the usual). His visions were done pretty well. That's how I like the Gods to be included in this show. Perhaps Ragnar really saw those things, but it's far more likely that his wounds made him hallucinate. It leaves some wiggle room, which was absent from the Harbard scenes earlier on.

Another thing I liked was the subtlety of the timejump this week. I have always liked that in Vikings, because they really do want you to pay attention. Quite a lot of time must have passed since last week's episode. I mean, Ivar was pretty big already and even more telling, Bjorn was standing on his feet again, after getting some grievious injuries last week. That in turn gave a lot more meaning to Ragnar's baptism. Last week, Bjorn seemed to have far greater injuries than Ragnar, but Bjorn has gotten better while Ragnar conditions seem to have worsened.

Excellent Post! I really wish this forum had a like button!

Anyways, I don't think he's faking his injuries per se, but maybe playing them up a bit as a way to lull the parisians and his other enemies into thinking him weak. Basically, I think this season will end like last season, where they wanted us to think Floki had teamed up with Horik, and Ragnar and his crew were going to get massacred. Here they might be going for the fake out of Ragnar's death/Vikings withdrawal, and then he's suddenly taking Paris from inside and Kalf/Bieber get the axe courtesy of Lagertha/Bjorn.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how next week goes!

Yeah that was really dumb. I was rolling my eyes so hard during that scene.

I definitely got that feeling, too. I think they're building either him and/or Rollo up to be the male leads should Ragnar bite it next season, and part of that is making Bjorn more of a leader. I'd love to see him mature to the point where he's quietly observing while everyone else is getting drunk. Also, once he learns that his annoying gf/wife/whatever has left Kattegat, he'll become a darker character next season. Hopefully not full Emo, though.

If you have a series that is doing well in the ratings, you don't kill off the star. I don't expect Ragnar to die for at least another season or two. And I would think that Ragnar's younger sons (by Aslaug) will be older by the time he is killed; so they, along with Bjorn, will be hot to avenge him. (although they could always do a time-jump of a few years, I suppose) It just doesn't make sense to me that Hirst would allow Ragnar's death either this season or next. Bjorn and Rollo are good looking, but neither one is as charismatic as Ragnar. Besides, I don't see Rollo becoming the leading man if he's stuck in Paris or establishing Normandy. I would expect Hirst to kill off Ragnar at the end of the penultimate season, and spend the next season having Ragnar's sons avenging him and wrapping up loose ends.

Archived