Vikings VII: We'll always have Paris [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

If you have a series that is doing well in the ratings, you don't kill off the star. I don't expect Ragnar to die for at least another season or two. And I would think that Ragnar's younger sons (by Aslaug) will be older by the time he is killed; so they, along with Bjorn, will be hot to avenge him. (although they could always do a time-jump of a few years, I suppose) It just doesn't make sense to me that Hirst would allow Ragnar's death either this season or next. Bjorn and Rollo are good looking, but neither one is as charismatic as Ragnar. Besides, I don't see Rollo becoming the leading man if he's stuck in Paris or establishing Normandy. I would expect Hirst to kill off Ragnar at the end of the penultimate season, and spend the next season having Ragnar's sons avenging him and wrapping up loose ends.

The ratings have declined each Season. They were averaging 3.5 million viewers in Season 1. They've lost about a million viewers and are averaging 2.5 this year.

I'm not liking were this show is going. Some of things this Season have felt very random and I find myself not caring for any of the characters anymore except Ragnar. It fills like the show is slowly dying just like Ragnar. Hopefully the show can redeem itself or there won't be a reason to watch Season 4.

I'm not liking were this show is going. Some of things this Season have felt very random and I find myself not caring for any of the characters anymore except Ragnar. It fills like the show is slowly dying just like Ragnar. Hopefully the show can redeem itself or there won't be a reason to watch Season 4.

Finally someone else sees this. Thought I was the only one in this thread with this thought.

I think it's dropped enormously in story telling power this season. I'm disappointed. I loved this show. Season 2 was superb.

Characters are too many, and located too spread-out. At least the way Hirst has written it, joining the faults and terrors of religion and power as his story-telling team just isn't interesting.

Did a rolling cathrop spool of death actually exist in early medieval warfare? Just because I've never run across such an anti-siege machine won't mean it didn't exist. Nevertheless I remain skeptical that after their previous experience the vikings would once more hurtle themselves headlong down an enclosed corridor, where they've seen so often new traps to kill them appear.

I think it's dropped enormously in story telling power this season. I'm disappointed. I loved this show. Season 2 was superb.

Characters are too many, and located too spread-out. At least the way Hirst has written it, joining the faults and terrors of religion and power as his story-telling team just isn't interesting.

Nicely said. It speaks volumes that they've lost 1 million viewers this Season.

The storytelling this season certainly wasn't as tight as it has been. But yeah, I've still really loved this season. I like to describe is as such: seasons one and two are ideal for binge watching, season three works better week to week.

Do you put stock in viewership ratings?

I, for one, do not put any stock in viewer ratings.

The only stock in which I put is my own viewage. :cheers: Vikings was my by far favorite television -- well, maybe even with Orphan Black -- from the first season. Honestly as a viewer in so many ways this season let us down. Perhaps the writers had just too much material to deal with, having set up all those other intense situations between Lagertha and her Kalf betrayal etc. But then they threw in this Harbard bs and Aslaug, and Ecbert changing his spots, and so much else.

And honestly, I've come very tired of Athelstan. Gads, he doesn't even go away when dead. Floki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you were so stOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOpid killing him. You should have just left Athelstan to self-deconstruct at the point of seeing Ragnar take Paris.

None of these plotlines of Ecbert and Judith etc. work because in this episode all we wanted was Paris, and how the vikings went away with tons of gold. But no, we get this other stuff with Ragnar pissing blood and hallucinating Athelstan. Athelstan, I've gotten really tired of you by now. And Ragnar, baby, the guy who is always looking to the future, you are not looking futuristic, but like a disappointed dude-bro, which really isn't viking, because vikings had bands of brothers and all that, but they weren't dude-bro types.

I dunno. I'm really disappointed.

Did a rolling cathrop spool of death actually exist in early medieval warfare? Just because I've never run across such an anti-siege machine won't mean it didn't exist. Nevertheless I remain skeptical that after their previous experience the vikings would once more hurtle themselves headlong down an enclosed corridor, where they've seen so often new traps to kill them appear.

Well 2 major characters are dead, and I doubt they will be making any more appearances next season in dream sequences and such (ok maybe when Ragnar dies he'll see Athelstan again, but that's it).

And regarding the battle, during the first attack, the Vikings underestimated the city's defenses, during the second, they underestimated the numbers of the defenders (that spiky spool really was just a shock weapon, though it served its purpose). Still despite all this, we've seen from Bjorn and Rollo, that they are undeterred and will continue to fight, which like about them.

I, for one, do not put any stock in viewer ratings.

The only stock in which I put is my own viewage. :cheers: Vikings was my by far favorite television -- well, maybe even with Orphan Black -- from the first season. Honestly as a viewer in so many ways this season let us down. Perhaps the writers had just too much material to deal with, having set up all those other intense situations between Lagertha and her Kalf betrayal etc. But then they threw in this Harbard bs and Aslaug, and Ecbert changing his spots, and so much else.

And honestly, I've come very tired of Athelstan. Gads, he doesn't even go away when dead. Floki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you were so stOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOpid killing him. You should have just left Athelstan to self-deconstruct at the point of seeing Ragnar take Paris.

None of these plotlines of Ecbert and Judith etc. work because in this episode all we wanted was Paris, and how the vikings went away with tons of gold. But no, we get this other stuff with Ragnar pissing blood and hallucinating Athelstan. Athelstan, I've gotten really tired of you by now. And Ragnar, baby, the guy who is always looking to the future, you are not looking futuristic, but like a disappointed dude-bro, which really isn't viking, because vikings had bands of brothers and all that, but they weren't dude-bro types.

I dunno. I'm really disappointed.

Yaaaaasssss. All this.

Was it just me or was Bjorn mimicking Ragnar this ep?

Yes he was. Bjorn looks to be trying to take the lead ever since Ragnar got wounded and praised Bjorn for leadership last episode.

Now there's two of you. I personally think this show hasn't dropped one bit in quality from the previous season.

I think the plot this season is a little better. The construction of the story is too loose right now and i understand some complaints, but its still pretty good.

Nicely said. It speaks volumes that they've lost 1 million viewers this Season.

Who fucking cares about that kind of shit? And i honestly think you are full of shit anyway. The show is immensely popular. Please stop talking out of your ass, its getting old.

joining the faults and terrors of religion and power as his story-telling team just isn't interesting.

Disagree with this immensely. The battles of spiritual wills here is very intriguing.

This week was full of tension. I liked Ragnar's spiritual moment. He realizes that he really wants to be with Athelstan no matter what. It looks like Odin is totally cool with this. I think thats why Ragnar came to the conclusion he did. He has a very specific way he dies, and i highly doubt the show is gonna rob us of that. And Fimmel signed on for Season 4 anyway. Ragnar isnt dying next week.

Ragnar gets baptized:

Floki: "WTF!!!!!"

Lagertha: "watchudoin"

Bjorn: "Hoe dont do it!"

Rollo: "...."

Aethelwulf is the only thing i find really dull. Ugh.

That Christian in Kattegat...YOU SIC EM, ASLAUG! Man i rooted hard for that.

Yes he was. Bjorn looks to be trying to take the lead ever since Ragnar got wounded and praised Bjorn for leadership last episode.

I think the plot this season is a little better. The construction of the story is too loose right now and i understand some complaints, but its still pretty good.

Who fucking cares about that kind of shit? And i honestly think you are full of shit anyway. The show is immensely popular. Please stop talking out of your ass, its getting old.

Disagree with this immensely. The battles of spiritual wills here is very intriguing.

This week was full of tension. I liked Ragnar's spiritual moment. He realizes that he really wants to be with Athelstan no matter what. It looks like Odin is totally cool with this. I think thats why Ragnar came to the conclusion he did. He has a very specific way he dies, and i highly doubt the show is gonna rob us of that. And Fimmel signed on for Season 4 anyway. Ragnar isnt dying next week.

Ragnar gets baptized:

Floki: "WTF!!!!!"

Lagertha: "watchudoin"

Bjorn: "Hoe dont do it!"

Rollo: "...."

Aethelwulf is the only thing i find really dull. Ugh.

That Christian in Kattegat...YOU SIC EM, ASLAUG! Man i rooted hard for that.

It's fact. Sorry. The ratings are public knowledge. I don't have to "lie" about them. You don't lose that many viewers in only your third Season for no reason...

It's fact. Sorry. The ratings are public knowledge. I don't have to "lie" about them. You don't lose that many viewers in only your third Season for no reason...

So you are a sheep who cares only about what the masses think, and adjust your opinions to match.

K. Now can you get off my lawn?

Oh so we're back to "Yay Vikings!" vs "Boo Vikings!"?

I've loved this season. Dr. Pepper is right--not as tight as it could, but still very good. Do I think this season tried to be overly ambitious with France, Wessex, and Kattegat? Yes. But I've loved the season and I greatly enjoyed all the plot lines, even some of the Kattegat stuff. It has to be an ambitious show. If it didn't people would bitch about how "boring" it is.

Archived