Vikings VII: We'll always have Paris [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Interesting (and disgusting - that is why I did not decide to go study medicine probably!), I did not know all that. So maybe the blood was not that bad, and are you then implying he faked all the shivering, fever, laying around being barely able to move and talk etc.?

Oh, I'm sure he had a fever and possibly a mild infection too (although it may be having badly bruised internal organs generates fever like symptoms?) but people also could survive those things without antibiotics back then. Chances are if you were a viking leader you  were probably tough and strong, which meant as a child your immune system was pretty tough too.

That said there are plenty of cases of leaders dying from non-fatal wounds after a battle. Luck still plays a part.

Oh god. They're totally going to kill Ragnar this season. :(

History spoilers!  I need to find a T-shirt with that on. I'm also eagerly awaiting the day we have separate threads for those who know the history of a period show. "don't discuss the history as I may want to read it and don't want it spoiled" :P

I still fear the show will end with Ragnar. It happened with the Tudors and the Borgias (although the latter was cancelled) once the main character was gone irrespective of how interesting the people following were. I hope he doesn't repeat this trend.

The trailer looks good. I get the impression the narrative is splitting even further with at least 3 stories running alongside each other. (England, France, back home, possibly Ragnar off discovering Iceland/Greenland?)

I just hope Athelstan isn't going to become obi-wan kenobi/Jagaar and constantly pop up as a ghost which is my worry with him narrating.

HBOs poster child getting Emmy love is expected.

You have thus confirmed that emmy noms and wins aren't really about excellence.   :stunned:

Color me shocked, shocked, shocked!

It's too bad because the acting and directing on this show is way ahead of GOT. And the production is amazingly good considering their budget is so much smaller.

Acting way ahead? Ludwig and Harrington are on the same level as well as Headey and Winnick. Then for every sandsnake you have a Kalf or Horick's son. Not sure what you're basing this on. Alfie has been better than anything I've seen on Vikings and he's not even a "top tier" guy.

Surprisingly I think I agree with Jack here. The acting on Vikings is definitely not way ahead of Thrones imo. Fimmel is the standout though and I do appreciate his performance more than anyone on Thrones since Sean Bean.

Yeah Fimmel is good, but he's more of a leading man then anything GoT has because of its huge supporting cast and storylines. Like you mentioned, Bean was the closest.

I also want to recognize Jonathan Pryce. He was great last season.

Acting way ahead? Ludwig and Harrington are on the same level as well as Headey and Winnick. Then for every sandsnake you have a Kalf or Horick's son. Not sure what you're basing this on. Alfie has been better than anything I've seen on Vikings and he's not even a "top tier" guy.

*Shrug* I disagree. Love Headey and Alfie but the others not so much.

And I'm basing this on my opinion. It's subjective.

The acting in GOT was really very good in season one and two. It has steadily gone down hill. I will say I'm not so sure that can be put entirely on the actors. Direction can have a huge impact and I believe that it has in this instance.

Let's put it this way, I enjoy the actors interpretation of their characters more on Vikings than on GOT.

We may have just to disagree :-). It's all good though. I love the differing opinions.

It's too bad because the acting and directing on this show is way ahead of GOT. And the production is amazingly good considering their budget is so much smaller.

:agree:   Everything about got either started godawful and finally got there 100%  I quit watching in the middle of 4.  Nor have I yet brought up how intensely phony everything looks, no matter where it is supposed to be located.  Whereas Vikings's locations all look intensely real.

This sounds  like the Star Trek vs Babylon 5 debate where it seemed as if liking one meant you had to hate the other. I enjoy both - I guess Vikings doesn't disappoint as often, as I have lower expectations (although I guess that's why season 3 underwhelmed). GOT at least never had a "school feel" about the first few episodes.

Acting wise I'd say they are similar on average. Both have plenty of ropey actors but they also have some great performances. Occasionally you get good actors wasted with bad scripts/storylines in both shows. I have to admit I'm hard pressed to think of an actor who puts in such a physical spin on their role as Fimmel does (and I'd have to include Floki as well but to a lesser extent). Then again, I can't think of many actors on TV as a whole putting that kind of physical performance in as Fimmel. Maybe Maslany from "orphan black" who changes her body language for the multiple roles - but she may win for having to handle so many different roles. Oh and Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal which is like an inverted form of Fimmel in that it's all about calculated finesse and holding back the animal.

This sounds  like the Star Trek vs Babylon 5 debate where it seemed as if liking one meant you had to hate the other. I enjoy both - I guess Vikings doesn't disappoint as often, as I have lower expectations (although I guess that's why season 3 underwhelmed). GOT at least never had a "school feel" about the first few episodes.
Acting wise I'd say they are similar on average. Both have plenty of ropey actors but they also have some great performances. Occasionally you get good actors wasted with bad scripts/storylines in both shows. I have to admit I'm hard pressed to think of an actor who puts in such a physical spin on their role as Fimmel does (and I'd have to include Floki as well but to a lesser extent). Then again, I can't think of many actors on TV as a whole putting that kind of physical performance in as Fimmel. Maybe Maslany from "orphan black" who changes her body language for the multiple roles - but she may win for having to handle so many different roles. Oh and Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal which is like an inverted form of Fimmel in that it's all about calculated finesse and holding back the animal.

Yeah, the Trek vs SW or other type of arguments can get tedious at times. So I understand where you're coming from. However,that's not what I'm doing. I truely believe that's is ok to like one or the other or both or neither. I don't look down on anyone for having a different opinion.

To me it is so subjective that everyone's viewpoint is valid. This is not a "fact" based argument.

Maybe it's because I'm an artist and I don't expect everyone to like my interpretation of the world? I don't know. I just know that there is room for all opinions in this type discussion.

So far the discussion in the Vikings threads have been really civilized.

TWD, GOT and a couple of other TV show threads have been uh, rather heated at times :-D.

Anyway, the whole point of this rambling off topic post is because I do believe there is value in these discussions. I think you learn things or can gain another point of view. And I hope that people like Jack understand that I respect their viewpoint even if I don't happen to agree with it.

Oh, I'm sure he had a fever and possibly a mild infection too (although it may be having badly bruised internal organs generates fever like symptoms?) but people also could survive those things without antibiotics back then. Chances are if you were a viking leader you  were probably tough and strong, which meant as a child your immune system was pretty tough too.
That said there are plenty of cases of leaders dying from non-fatal wounds after a battle. Luck still plays a part.

History spoilers!  I need to find a T-shirt with that on. I'm also eagerly awaiting the day we have separate threads for those who know the history of a period show. "don't discuss the history as I may want to read it and don't want it spoiled" :P

I still fear the show will end with Ragnar. It happened with the Tudors and the Borgias (although the latter was cancelled) once the main character was gone irrespective of how interesting the people following were. I hope he doesn't repeat this trend.

The trailer looks good. I get the impression the narrative is splitting even further with at least 3 stories running alongside each other. (England, France, back home, possibly Ragnar off discovering Iceland/Greenland?)
I just hope Athelstan isn't going to become obi-wan kenobi/Jagaar and constantly pop up as a ghost which is my worry with him narrating.

Exactly, do you know what getting an eye put out meant in those days? People still survived what would be a God awful infection and pain.

If there was a zombie apocalypse as in The Walking Dead, (that's for you Jack Bauer), over a third of the world's civilization would perish just being without a cell phone, and the other because they used too MUCH hand sanitizer.

There really is something to "The fittest will survive" thing.

I've been reading a lot about William the Conqueror and the run up to the invasion, and legend has it when he landed in England, he stumbled across an old Viking sword buried in the sand and took it as an omen.

Just reading on the Internet or reading books cause I've been trying to find some good reads on the Conqueror but haven't really found anything

I'm reading the Last Kingdom ... All about the Ragnar... the show helps put faces to characters in the book...

It's not the same Ragnar though some of his sons are chatacters in Cornwells Uthred books.

I'm reading the Last Kingdom ... All about the Ragnar... the show helps put faces to characters in the book...

The Last Kingdom is more of a..."sequel" to Vikings, so to speak
[spoiler] Ragnar is the father of Ubba, Ivar and Halfdan. The Halfdan who becomes Uhtred's father is a different person [/spoiler]

Exactly, do you know what getting an eye put out meant in those days? People still survived what would be a God awful infection and pain.

If there was a zombie apocalypse as in The Walking Dead, (that's for you Jack Bauer), over a third of the world's civilization would perish just being without a cell phone, and the other because they used too MUCH hand sanitizer.

There really is something to "The fittest will survive" thing.

Yeah. Richard Morgan does a great inverted look at the whole thing with "Black Man/thirteen" in which he gives reasons for why such people were selected out of society once culture and technology arrived at a level where they weren't as necessary. Great book.

You all know this is about to come out as a BBC show, right? I was joking about it on the thread on the board about how I was getting my Vikings sequel before the parent show had finished. That and the gap between Borgias and Vikings is slowly decreasing.Hirst won't rest until he has filled the gaps.

Archived