The end of an Era, New Clothes for Arya

Everyone's seen Arya's awesome outfit on the cover of Entertainment Weekly right?

I think the fact that their costumes don't change that much and are actually smelly in real life is pretty fitting for the time period the story takes place in, haha. :stillsick:

Madden complained about the same thing with his wardrobe, they don't clean them and they get really sweaty in them and they smell bad.

I dunno about Bana, but I remember the same was said about Brad Pitt during the filming of Troy. That he smelt really bad mostly because of the leather clothes and him not taking many showers as he should. Troy was written by Benioff. Maybe he likes his actors smelling bad...

Interested to see what changes they make since I'm geussing Jaqen is now the Kindly Man.

Is he? I thought he was just a face he was wearing.

Kit Harington complained/joked to Seth Meyers that his black leather NW outfit has never been cleaned and now it smells authentic or something along those lines. I'm sure his small clothes have been laundered regularly, but still.

Afaik, they never cleaned the cutts on Sons of Anarchy either. It seems to be thing.

Madden complained about the same thing with his wardrobe, they don't clean them and they get really sweaty in them and they smell bad.

Up North they wear a lot of fur and leather that would have to be dry-cleaned. Arya's greenish woven jerkin thingy would fall to pieces in a washing machine. But the shirt and trousers would do fine in the wash.

Speaking of smells, one thing that has sort of bugged me is how the king and his court just stay in King's Landing all of the time. Kings and Queens constantly moved around from castle to castle because of the smell. That castle must have been pretty smelly.

Kings moving around had nothing to do with the smell, but with the feudal system. The King had to be on the move to ensure the loyalty of his lords with personal visits and various courtly rituals. In the Seven Kingdoms the distances are too great for that to be a practical option, making the nation more fractured than the real life Medieval kingdoms, and the rulers instead make a big deal about the symbolic value of King's Landing and the Iron Throne, more like rulers of later time periods in our world.

Didn't know where else to ask this

How do you think they are going to handle the face changing side of her story this season? Do you think they will just have her look different to other characters, but we the viewer will still see Maisie? Or do you think that they will cast someone else to play her role when she changes face? I just don't think it would work to have Arya featured in an episode, but played by someone other than Maisie

How do you think they are going to handle the face changing side of her story this season? Do you think they will just have her look different to other characters, but we the viewer will still see Maisie? Or do you think that they will cast someone else to play her role when she changes face? I just don't think it would work to have Arya featured in an episode, but played by someone other than Maisie

There's a great discussion called "So ... Jaqen H'qar" you could jump in as that question's been asked and is a good one... we're wondering if they will elect to cut out the face changing thing or not since it will be more difficult to do on screen than it was in the books where the reader uses their imagination of course.

I felt the way they did it in the show - carefully sliding his face as Arya's head blocks the actual transformation was cleverly done and worked - so they will likely do the same for Arya, with another actor taking her place for the scenes where she must perform her 'job' during her training. She won't go away entirely - just change faces for a few scenes, I think.

They show a beautiful costume and hair on Arya as Cat of the Canals on the cover of Entertainment Weekly which leads me to believe they are NOT going to have her change faces all the time.

Good question. If they kept the same costume, 7 different actresses could play Arya and we'd know it was her. I doubt that's the plan, but after the OP, I'm done making predictions.

About damn time. I'm so sick of Arya's ugly dress. I get that she didn't change whilst on the road, but why would she wear that ragged fucking thing when she was a cupbearer to Tywin Lannister? One would expect that she would put on a dress at least.

Also, IMDb states that Maise is 155 cm now, at age 18. That's pretty damn short for an almost fully grown woman, but I guess it works for the character of Arya. It might cause problems though when trying to land other roles (which is a damn shane, as she is a great actress that I wanna see more of).

About damn time. I'm so sick of Arya's ugly dress. I get that she didn't change whilst on the road, but why would she wear that ragged fucking thing when she was a cupbearer to Tywin Lannister? One would expect that she would put on a dress at least.

Also, IMDb states that Maise is 155 cm now, at age 18. That's pretty damn short for an almost fully grown woman, but I guess it works for the character of Arya. It might cause problems though when trying to land other roles (which is a damn shane, as she is a great actress that I wanna see more of).

Since when does an actor's height have anything to do with roles they are offered or their popularity? Do you know how short Tom Cruise is in real life? Maisie has proven herself a very good actor and already has a role in some Dr. Who episodes if I recall. I'm sure her career is only going upward from here on out.

I do find it hilarious how short Arya is compared to how incredibly tall Sansa has gotten. Sophie is a very tall and elegant woman now and the two young ladies are only a year apart in age, hehe.

Kings moving around had nothing to do with the smell, but with the feudal system.

Actually it did have to do with the smell. It is true that they moved around to conduct the crown's business, such as to adjudicate, but they frequently moved on fairly quickly because of the large number of people and animals and their resulting smells. It was also a great way for the King or Queen to push the cost of the court off onto the nobles. Henry the VII and his granddaughter Queen Elizabeth I were famous for it. Both of them were known to pinch a penny. My point was that in all likelihood they would have had other residences even in King's Landing and the surrounding area just as London does.

Archived