Blade Runner- Final Cut

maarsen

I just watched the final cut in the Cinema last night...absolutely breathtaking. I started tearing up as soon as the movie started...I was just instantly overwhelmed by how amazing this film truly is. Looks just as good and in fact better than most movies coming out now. I just fell more in love with this movie last night.

BFI released it in cinemas this month at select screenings and I wasn't able to see it except last night so I spent 20 quid on the taxi to get to the theatre and back...totally worth it. I thought I was going to be the only person at 10.15pm to watch it and that the cinema staff would totally hate me but turns out it was me and a friendly older couple so the theatre was essentially to myself.

I had the BIGGEST, DORKIEST grin on my face almost the whole way through.

I was so distraught that I wasn't going to be able to catch any of the limited screenings but I am SO GLAD that I could have.

Watching it on the big screen only made me appreciate it and love it EVEN MORE than before. Every time I watch it I find more reasons to love it, more details that show how careful, well made and excellent this film is in every way.

Harrison Ford is actually completely and totally underrated in this movie; people often (and RIGHTLY SO) sing the praises of the magnetic Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner and he truly is astonishing in this movie; the childish expressions of emotion, the cold, chilling exterior of a replicant and also of course the beautiful tears in rain speech BUT Harrison Ford is equally good I think...I REALLY noticed it on the big screen how subtle and nuanced his performance is. There is some major acting with the eyes and the face going on with Ford; he's brilliant. Sean Young also plays Rachel to perfection. She's such a heartbreaking character, just as much as Roy.

It was amazing to see the flying cars on the big screen and to realise how great they look. The sets and the world is BEAUTIFUL good GOD the CARE and the DETAIL put into all the city is just...wonderful.

The final cut is my favourite version of this beautiful movie and I honestly can tell you I genuinely believe it is flawless or as close to a flawless film as you can get.

I am just really emotional about going to see it on the big screen, it meant so so SO much to me. Maybe that's weird but I don't care.

I feel genuinely happy and grateful that this movie exists...how many other countless movies has it inspired...how many PEOPLE has it inspired? How many people have seen it and felt the same way that I do? It's just amazing. I love it and will love it forever. I will continue to watch it and be passionate about it forever.

I just watched the final cut in the Cinema last night...absolutely breathtaking. I started tearing up as soon as the movie started...I was just instantly overwhelmed by how amazing this film truly is. Looks just as good and in fact better than most movies coming out now. I just fell more in love with this movie last night.

BFI released it in cinemas this month at select screenings and I wasn't able to see it except last night so I spent 20 quid on the taxi to get to the theatre and back...totally worth it. I thought I was going to be the only person at 10.15pm to watch it and that the cinema staff would totally hate me but turns out it was me and a friendly older couple so the theatre was essentially to myself.

I had the BIGGEST, DORKIEST grin on my face almost the whole way through.

I was so distraught that I wasn't going to be able to catch any of the limited screenings but I am SO GLAD that I could have.

Watching it on the big screen only made me appreciate it and love it EVEN MORE than before. Every time I watch it I find more reasons to love it, more details that show how careful, well made and excellent this film is in every way.

Harrison Ford is actually completely and totally underrated in this movie; people often (and RIGHTLY SO) sing the praises of the magnetic Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner and he truly is astonishing in this movie; the childish expressions of emotion, the cold, chilling exterior of a replicant and also of course the beautiful tears in rain speech BUT Harrison Ford is equally good I think...I REALLY noticed it on the big screen how subtle and nuanced his performance is. There is some major acting with the eyes and the face going on with Ford; he's brilliant. Sean Young also plays Rachel to perfection. She's such a heartbreaking character, just as much as Roy.

It was amazing to see the flying cars on the big screen and to realise how great they look. The sets and the world is BEAUTIFUL good GOD the CARE and the DETAIL put into all the city is just...wonderful.

The final cut is my favourite version of this beautiful movie and I honestly can tell you I genuinely believe it is flawless or as close to a flawless film as you can get.

I am just really emotional about going to see it on the big screen, it meant so so SO much to me. Maybe that's weird but I don't care.

I feel genuinely happy and grateful that this movie exists...how many other countless movies has it inspired...how many PEOPLE has it inspired? How many people have seen it and felt the same way that I do? It's just amazing. I love it and will love it forever. I will continue to watch it and be passionate about it forever.

So was it any good or not?

I love Blade Runner, the Director's Cut more than the "bullshit with voice-overs and b-roll from the Shining ending" cut. Can anyone give me a link that explains what this Final Cut is?

Good choice

Nah it was shite rly :P

ETA: no i cant even joke about that i feel blasphemous LOL it was truly amazing yes

I love Blade Runner, the Director's Cut more than the "bullshit with voice-overs and b-roll from the Shining ending" cut. Can anyone give me a link that explains what this Final Cut is?

I rewatched it a couple weeks ago, no idea which version but there weren't any voice overs. One thing that bugged me... how come the police chief says 6 replicants escaped with one subsequently dying but he orders Deckard to track down the other 4

I just read in my local paper that Ridley Scott is about to release his final cut of the classic film Blade Runner. Theda, I'll leave the rest to you. :cheers:

It's not the first release of the 'Final Cut'. I went to see it at the cinema when it was first released a few years ago.

I'm glad you got to see it on the big screen, it may be a great film on DVD but it deserves to be seen as it was intended.

Despite it's name apparently Ridley Scott wasn't able to supervise the first Director's Cut, it is instead based off his notes. He finally got around to making his own Director's Cut a few years ago which is the 'Final Cut'. In terms of the storyline and scenes included it's basically identical to the Director's Cut but there's been some remastering and fixing up some mistakes - for example, they re-shot a scene with one of the replicants crashing through a window because the original scene featured a stuntman who was blatantly not the actress, instead they got the actress back after three decades to reshoot it properly.

I'm confused now, how many different versions are there now and which dvd do I have to chuck out to make room for this one?

I love Blade Runner, the Director's Cut more than the "bullshit with voice-overs

I found it almost hilariously jarring to go from Hauer's great "Tears in Rain" speech to Ford's voice-over where he sounds like they just got him to read it off a sheet for the first time while he's out shopping

The Final Cut version is the main one that's been sold on DVD for a few years now. Just BFI have released it in the cinema again. It's the version Ridley Scott has control over. I'm pretty sure it was released in 2007. It has the Unicorn dream scene, is remastered and has no narration/ ''happy ending'' and it also heavily implies Deckard is a replicant which is the version you've likely seen already.

My only issue with the final cut is replacing the word 'fucker' with 'father'. "I want more life, fucker" is better than " I want more life, father". This may seem nitpicky but use of the word 'fucker' conveys a different feeling.

I actually don't know which version of the line I prefer more.

"I want more life fucker" is a lot more angry and forceful but works well in this scene whereas "I want more life father" comes across as Roy being more desperate for life and in turn makes him slightly more sympathetic here but it's also almost redundant to have the word father there when that creator comment is already made by Roy; "It's not an easy thing to meet your maker" which casts Roy in a sympathetic light and we also get the "prodigal son" comment from tyrell which highlights the father/son dynamic.

I think I might agree with you and say I slightly prefer the "fucker" version when I think about it more...it's the only swear in the movie and in having it there, in that scene, delivered in such a sinister, whispered way is all the more effective in showing Roy's contempt for his maker and the way society views him as a toy/not human enough.

I just read in my local paper that Ridley Scott is about to release his final cut of the classic film Blade Runner. Theda, I'll leave the rest to you. :cheers:

Most awesome way to open a thread ever. :D

I wonder if we ran a poll, how many people on Westeros.org would correctly guess Theda's favorite movie? :p

hahahahaha :lol: i think most people would say: "who the fuck is that" lol

Ha, I bet you most people who read this thread title thought of you instantly.

I saw Blade Runner when I was way younger and always thought it was overrated and said so when I was a noob here...and was promptly ripped apart. I'm pretty sure you were part of the mob(a respectful mob) and it did make me rewatch it and I definitely appreciated it after. It does help that my tastes have changed for the better over the years but some films are like a fine wine.

I think it is a lot better on a rewatch :D I think I first caught half of it on TV when my dad was flicking channels (he loves blade runner too) and I didn't really understand it but there was something about it that kept making me think about it so a few weeks/couple months later I watched it again and really liked it but then a little while after that bought the dvd and sat down to watch it again and I was just like...WOOOOOWWWWWW by that point and every subsequent viewing I only love it more and more. I read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep before buying it on DVD but after I'd watched it again I think.

I am glad you watched it again and enjoyed it :D I wish more people would give it a second watch after initially not liking it or understanding it. There is just SO MUCH TO SEE that you can't simply appreciate or take in one or even two viewings. Everything about that movie is well made and just...excellent.

Archived