Winds of Winter Twist

I would have voted for Sansa getting out of LFs clutches with some help and the use of her brain(figuring out that Lyn Corbray infiltrated the Lords Declarant for LF is a good proof that she is not stupid+don't forget the savage giant prophecy) because that is impossible in the show. Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss despise Sansa and turned her into a passive idiot who can't correctly say "shit" and defied all logic to get her raped by Ramysay. (Seriously, if they loved Ramsay-rapes-his-bride so much that they threw everything else that happened in Winterfell away except that and wanted it to happen to Sansa since season 2, they could at least have bothered to come up with a plot that is not total nonsense to bring her in that situation.)

But it is supposed to be shocking, so I guess it might be this: Tyrion is going mad and dangerous especially for women.

this is from a preview chapter from Winds of Winter and it is alarming if someone reacts to "I'm frightened" like that

[spoiler]

“War. On either side of us and not a league away. That’s slaughter, Penny.
That’s men stumbling through the mud with their entrails hanging out. That’s
severed limbs and broken bones and pools of blood. You know how the worms come
out after a hard rain? I hear they do the same after a big battle if enough
blood soaks into the ground. That’s the Stranger coming, Penny. The Black Goat,
the Pale Child, Him of Many Faces, call him what you will. That’s death.”

“You’re scaring me.

“Am I? Good. You should be scared. We have ironborn swarming ashore and Ser
Barristan and his Unsullied pouring out the city gates, with us between them,
fighting on the wrong bloody side. I am terrified myself.”

“You say that, but you still make japes.”

“Japes are one way to keep the fear away. Wine’s another.”

“You’re brave. Little people can be brave.”

My giant of Lannister, he heard. She is mocking me. He almost slapped her
again. His head was pounding.

“I never meant to make you angry,” Penny said “Forgive me. I’m frightened, is
all.” She touched his hand.

Tyrion wrenched away from her. “I’m frightened.” Those were the same words
Shae had used. Her eyes were big as eggs, and I swallowed every bit of it. I
knew what she was. I told Bronn to find a woman for me and he brought me Shae.
His hands curled into fists, and Shae’s face swam before him, grinning. Then the
chain was tightening about her throat, the golden hands digging deep into her
flesh as her own hands fluttered against his face with all the force of
butterflies. If he’d had a chain to hand… if he’d had a crossbow, a dagger,
anything, he would have… he might have… he…

It was only then that Tyrion heard the shouts. He was lost in a black rage,
drowning in a sea of memory,
but the shouting brought the world back in a rush.
He opened his hands, took a breath, turned away from Penny. “Something’s
happening.” He went outside to discover what it was.

Although Penny obviously has nothing to do with Shae Tyrion imagined hearing my giant of Lannister as Penny said "You're brave" and wanted to kill her for saying "I'm frightened"!!!

[/spoiler]

It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations.

It would not come out of nowhere. If you look closely at his actions and his thoughts throughout the books, Tyrion already had a disconcerting attitude towards women/girls and also showed a vengeful and vicious streak.

Tyrion wants revenge, his targets will be his family and I think with him placing Sansa next to Shae as false, he will want to harm her if he gets a chance.

Genna said

"He left a son". "Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth." That was a queer remark. "Why should you fear?" "Jaime," she said, tugging on his ear, "sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.

I think that could mean that she fears Tyrion will take his revenge Tywin-style: merciless, extremely brutal and not limited only to the guilty but with death and suffering for many. This is also not entirely new to Tyrion.(for example Tyrion wants to turn the Vale into a ruin because he is angry at Lysa. The people living near the Mountains of the Moon in the Riverlands-Vale border area get pillaged by the much better equipped and with that more dangerous clans, many get killed and the women and girls get carried off. Tyrion knew these guys only attack the defenceless/weak and that Lysa would be safe in the Eyrie.) Tyrion even wanted to set Myrcella against Tommen in a war, endangering their lives without thinking, just to spite Cersei.

But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense.

three,four characters involved? Tyrions relationships with Tysha, Shae and Sansa. Tyrion sees Tysha now as the only woman who ever loved him and the others are false. He thinks Shae and Sansa pretended it and betrayed him. Shae did just play the role Tyrion wanted her to play, but he convinced himself it was actual love and now thinks she decieved him all the time. Sansa was forced to marry him, but he somehow thinks she decieved him with her marriage vows(even in Westeros forced vows are not valid). Although there were several people around Joffreys wine, he thinks it had to be Sansa who poisoned it because she left him, it doesn't occur to him that the abused child prisoner and forced bride could have simply fled from the place of her torment.

And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.

It can definitely not happen in the show. Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss turned Tyrion into a saint.

1. Sansa Stark going evil and murdering Sweetrobin.  That would be my best guess.  The show has taken her away from the Vale.  It can happen in the books, but not on the show.
  2. Bran going dark, seduced by his newly found abilities.  Bran decides to warg Jojen and takes his body.  Which can't be done on the show, because Jojen was burned. 

Some of the major characters have to follow a certain path, I think.  Therefore, their plots on the show have to stay close to their plots in the books to reach the same ending.  These are characters like Dany, Cersei, Tyrion, and Jon. 

It's something that the show can't do because they diverted from the books.  It's likely to do with Young Griff's story arc, which would also involve Jon Connington, Septa Lemore, and the Golden Company.   Qentyn Martell is another possibility.

Something like R+L=A due to some organized baby-switching after the rebellion.  Young Griff is actually Aegon VII, and Aegon VI was killed by the Mountain.   Which makes Jon = Ned + Wylla.

Rakharo and Irri are dead on the show but alive in the books, Jhiqui and Jhogo appeared very little and haven't been seen at all since season 2, but are still important to Dany in the books.

Show-Rakharo was book-Jhogo, and book-Rakharo never existed in the show.

At any rate, as discussed in another thread, I don't see how the absence of Rakharo/Jhogo could make the plot unadaptable. Whatever his function is, why couldn't it just be transferred to one of the other rarely-named Dothraki still with Team Dany at the end of last season?

GRRM has also mentioned Mago as a big difference, and if you really squint you could imagine that the oath Dany's swears again Mago could be important in some way (at least that was the best I could come up with...), but she swore a similar but less specific oath in the show, and I don't see why Mago's part couldn't be transferred to some never-named character who rode off with Jhaqo who turns out to be the one who killed show-Rakharo.

Really, none of the Dothraki characters are unique and irreplaceable in the story in the same way that, say, Barristan Selmy is.

Martin basically said that the show was incapable of following his plot twist because they have already screwed it up.

I am assuming it has to be

**********************SPOILER****************************

Mance because he died in the season opener and died for real, not phoney like in the books.

They could still pull that back if needed - introduce the idea of a glamour at the start of the series, a background wildling character gets sent to Winterfell, Jon says wtf you mad sending this redshirt and then, tah-dah, its Mance really.

In the show they merged Aegon and Dany storyline, I know, people will say "nothing regarding Aegon is shocking" but what if GRRM is really planning in making Aegon legitimate, making all the BF symbolism a red herring?

How does dany and aegon stories are merged and given to dany

you do realize that one is a main character of the series and other had appeared a total of three chapters

How does dany and aegon stories are merged and given to dany

you do realize that one is a main character of the series and other had appeared a total of three chapters

Well they haven't cast nor Aegon or Griff, Jorah got greyscale and tyrion traveled with varys, all these where part of Aegon storyline, Tyrion introduced him to the series and solved the riddle of his identity, and the fact that Jorah got GS means ( to me at least ) that he is taking the part of JonCon ( the griff not the forum user )

And you don't have to be a genius to know that he does have a big part to play, a huge one, he is invading westeros Before Dany gets there, and is a contender ( a new one) to the IT, Samwell is a minor Character, designed to give us background on the citadel, Aegon holds the same weight that Robb, or is about to hold it in what respect on protagonism

What about Jeyne Westerling. In the show they chose to create the crappy Talisa romance.

It makes sense, I read a theory once, stated that Jeyne Westerling was pregnant, and that she still is, the one we saw in Jaime's chapter is her sister ( apparently they look a lot alike, and doesn't have a huge age gap)

Well they haven't cast nor Aegon or Griff, Jorah got greyscale and tyrion traveled with varys, all these where part of Aegon storyline, Tyrion introduced him to the series and solved the riddle of his identity, and the fact that Jorah got GS means ( to me at least ) that he is taking the part of JonCon ( the griff not the forum user )

i understand that .but apart from jorah getting greyscale i dont see anything like dany taking the role of aegon

what am trying to say is that saying young griff's story a character who we barely knew is being taken over by the main character who has her own storyline is unfair

Keeping him in the story will also not change the fact that tyrion will meet dany and she conquering westeros

Archived