Ukraine 18 - The Rites of Spring

Horza

I'm sure you do. It means your politicians and media have done their jobs! Say what you will, these guys know how to get shit done!

No Mr Fixit, it means I know who Eston Kohver is.

Good for you.

And I know who Jonathan Pollard is. US-Israeli war in the making?

No. Because the US is to beholden to the Israeli Lobby (who are, let's be clear, americans). Who are trying to get the guy freed because being an actual spy is no barrier to undermining US interests to the advancement of Israeli ones.

We can make these silly extrapolations all day.

If by that you mean we can find examples of increased Russian aggression against it's neighbours that you will deny all day, then yes, I'm sure we could.

Not much will be gained by faulty logic. We are bombarded by a constant stream of truths, half-truths and lies, and not only in politics. It's a part of our existence as human beings. A well-informed and rational person learns to separate one from the other (from the third). Ukraine (and Georgia for that matter) were known issues going years back. Anyone who knows anything about them knew that Russia draws the line with those two countries. You and I may or may not like it, but it's simply so. Crimea wasn't the least bit surprising to me when it happened. Pretty much all analysts worth their salt suspected something like it might be Putin's answer to Kiev revolution.

These other silly things about Poland and Mozambique don't really merit a serious answer.

If Moldova decides to do the same stunt in Transnistria as Georgia did in South Ossetia in 2008, I very much expect Russia to respond the same way it responded in Georgia. But Moldova would be extremely dumb to do that. That said, Georgia and Ukraine proved that decisions being dumb is not a reason not to make them.

If Moldova decides to do the same stunt in Transnistria as Georgia did in South Ossetia in 2008, I very much expect Russia to respond the same way it responded in Georgia. But Moldova would be extremely dumb to do that. That said, Georgia and Ukraine proved that decisions being dumb is not a reason not to make them.

Trololololololololooooooooooooo

Yeah, I don't see what that's going to accomplish. More fighting could get Mariupol, but why bother when you're looking to cut a deal that involves the return of the republics to Ukrainian sovereignty, however loosely defined.

It could be a bargaining posture, but it's a pretty transparent one when both parties would like to be rid of the dispute.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

welcome to the future, welcome to the year 2015.

Remember last year when our beloved friends, the US of A, pushed the Europeans for hard sanctions against the evil Ruskies...guess what here come the FACTS :)!

In 2014, the trade volume between the US and Russia INCREASED by +6% while in the same time period trade between EU and Russia DECREASED by -10% (most affected by this: Germany).

There nothing sweeter than good old US morale hypocrisy :). The ones crying for sanctions continue to make good business while the "soft" Europeans are actually complying, thus losing billions of USD (e.g. Siemens lost a multi-billion USD railway contract to the Chinese due to those sanctions).

So the lesson to be learned is: FUCK the sanctions! The ones who cried for them SHIT on them! For all I care the EU should immediately stop these ridiculous sanctions. Ukraine is a lost state who now even dare to cancel all debt payments, after getting billions of aid from the EU. Let the American taxpayers pay for this corrupt state (attention: irony).

The US government, be it Republican or Democrats, is beyond ridiculous in foreign policy.

At our American users here: next time you mock the Europeans for their softieness get your facts right and look in the mirror!

Everything about this decision strikes me as being comprehensively stupid in every concievable way:

Former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has been appointed as the governor of the southwestern Odesa region, a move that could exacerbate tensions between Kyiv and Moscow amid Ukraine’s shaky cease-fire with Russian-backed separatists.

Interfax reports that Poroshenko also signed a decree granting Saakashvili Ukrainian citizenship.

The announcement followed a recommendation by Poroshenko’s cabinet that Saakashvili lead the Odesa region.

Saakashvili led Georgia during its brief 2008 war with Russia over the Moscow-backed breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia.

Many Western officials see that conflict as a precursor to the Kremlin’s seizure and annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea territory in March 2014 and the ensuing war between Kyiv’s forces and pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine that has killed more than 6,100 people since April 2014.

The Odesa region’s eponymous capital last year was the site of one of the deadliest civilian incidents since conflict erupted in eastern Ukraine, with more than 30 pro-Russian activists dying after they reportedly sought refuge from a hostile crowd.

Even if this just some kind of stunt, it's a really dumb one. The reality is that places like Odesa and Kharkiv are still on the fence about the separatist cause and nothing about Saakashvili suggests to me that his presence, even as a figurehead, does anything to moderate a tense situation in a foreign city.

A joke on the Russian sites says that the main reason for this move is that Poroshenko expects to shortly lose Odessa to Russia and he needs a scapegoat. It's not that funny because I'm having trouble thinking of a more plausible reason for this appointment. The only thing it really accomplishes is personally insulting the Russian leadership, but is that really worth also saddling a potentially contested region with this guy?

Everything about this decision strikes me as being comprehensively stupid in every concievable way:

Even if this just some kind of stunt, it's a really dumb one. The reality is that places like Odesa and Kharkiv are still on the fence about the separatist cause and nothing about Saakashvili suggests to me that his presence, even as a figurehead, does anything to moderate a tense situation in a foreign city.

Dumb decisions are in trend now in Ukraine. Only in today's Ukraine can a foreigner who is sought after by his own country through Interpol for corruption can be put in such a position.

The thing is, Ukrainian government is desperate. It is desperate to deal with any separatist ideas in places like Odessa and Saakashvili, before his ridiculous act in 2008, did quite manage to create an order in Georgia. And such an aggressive policy against separatist or just autonomy ideas is not surprising for a place like Ukraine. I would say that such ideas are dealt very similar in most former USSR countries, where nationalism is on the rise. In Russia, in Georgia and Ukraine as well - to fight it as hard as they can. They will not try to find a diplomatic solution, or try to make people stop wanting to secede from the country. They will make such people enemies of the country and try to fight them/jail them. That's just the mentality of these countries - they are incapable to deal with problem with other ways.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

welcome to the future, welcome to the year 2015.

Remember last year when our beloved friends, the US of A, pushed the Europeans for hard sanctions against the evil Ruskies...guess what here come the FACTS :)!

In 2014, the trade volume between the US and Russia INCREASED by +6% while in the same time period trade between EU and Russia DECREASED by -10% (most affected by this: Germany).

There nothing sweeter than good old US morale hypocrisy :). The ones crying for sanctions continue to make good business while the "soft" Europeans are actually complying, thus losing billions of USD (e.g. Siemens lost a multi-billion USD railway contract to the Chinese due to those sanctions).

So the lesson to be learned is: FUCK the sanctions! The ones who cried for them SHIT on them! For all I care the EU should immediately stop these ridiculous sanctions. Ukraine is a lost state who now even dare to cancel all debt payments, after getting billions of aid from the EU. Let the American taxpayers pay for this corrupt state (attention: irony).

The US government, be it Republican or Democrats, is beyond ridiculous in foreign policy.

At our American users here: next time you mock the Europeans for their softieness get your facts right and look in the mirror!

Can't find anything stating this.

Found this on the US Census site that says trade went down though:

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4621.html

And many other articles citing a drop in US-Russian trade.

The only thing I've seen on Google is a couple of forum posts linking to something in german.

Archived