The Iron Isles and the Riverlands (book spoilers)

grufolo

Hello all,

do you think the major plots in the Iron islands (that is Euron and Victarion and the merry company) and the Riverlands (with the taking of Riverrun) will be also part of the season?

What about Tarly's long and windy trip to Oldtown?

I still don't see how they can make less than 8-11 seasons when two full books are still to be written and they're so behind witht he plot.

However cutting you can make, there's still too much that's crucial to be added.

Your thoughts?

Hello all,

do you think the major plots in the Iron islands (that is Euron and Victarion and the merry company) and the Riverlands (with the taking of Riverrun) will be also part of the season?

What about Tarly's long and windy trip to Oldtown?

I still don't see how they can make less than 8-11 seasons when two full books are still to be written and they're so behind witht he plot.

However cutting you can make, there's still too much that's crucial to be added.

Your thoughts?

No to the first two, maybe to Sam.

Victarion/Aeron are cut, they don't exist in the show. Euron MIGHT appear in S6 but not in S5.

Riverrun is already in Frey hands, the Blackfish is already gone, Walder Frey rules the Riverlands so there's no need for the crown to take the castle.

Sam could go, his short scene with Gilly made me think that it's happening.

There is an extremely strong indication that Maester Aemon will die at Castle Black this season so it's doubtful that Sam and Gilly will go to Oldtown. However, there's a decent chance that they do go somewhere (my guess is Braavos). I highly doubt Oldtown is seen on the show at all.

There is an extremely strong indication that Maester Aemon will die at Castle Black this season so it's doubtful that Sam and Gilly will go to Oldtown. However, there's a decent chance that they do go somewhere (my guess is Braavos). I highly doubt Oldtown is seen on the show at all.

I do not see how all this benefits the show. There is no sign of Bran either. I am extremely puzzled, and i wish to understand if Sam's, Euron's, Quentin's and Aegon's storylines are so totally noninfluent in the main plot that they can be entirely dispensed, then why are theyportrayed as main characters in the books.

[i removed something here which maybe may not be discusses in this forum. Can i discuss spoilers from leaked stuff using spoilers?]

Has anyone got a clue about why of these choices?

Victarion/Aeron are cut, they don't exist in the show. Euron MIGHT appear in S6 but not in S5.

I wonder then if and how they really plan on condensating two final books (posibly totalling thousands of pages) in one season 7, though.

I do not see how all this benefits the show. I have watched some more and until episode 4 there is no sign of Bran either. I am extremely puzzled, and i wish to understand if Sam's, Euron's, Quentin's and Aegon's storylines are so totally noninfluent in the main plot that they can be entirely dispensed, then why are theyportrayed as main characters in the books. I mean we stare for minutes at Cersei sending Mace Tyrell to Braavos but no screen time for a cheap character like Quentin (cheap as in no CGI, no strange locations)?

This looks even more mystifying as in these first episodes we are assisting to more and more idling scenes of Cersei and Tommen and Margaery, or this crap with Bronn,and the Pod-Brienne slapstick, which one would assume were much more dispensable.

Has anyone got a clue about why of these choices?

They announced a long time ago that Bran would be sitting out this season but would be back in S6 so hopefully that answers one of your questions.

The simple answer to most of your questions is that the show has invested a lot of time developing characters like Brienne, Bronn, Cersei, Margaery etc presumably because they are essential to the overall 7 season story. They spend a lot of time with them and others because the audience has been following them and want to see how their arcs play out as well as how they interact with the different other characters that they can move into their periphery that have not yet met up on the show.

D&D have said long ago that once we get to the end of the ASoS stories to adapt, the show is going to start to contract as opposed to further world-build. Obviously this goes against what Martin did in AFFC/ADwD where he created multiple brand new POV characters, settings and complicated paths. He also isolated several characters on very long journeys whereby they interacted with an entire new group of minor characters who needed to be introduced as well.

The show is not going to run for 9-10 seasons and just cannot add to the 80+ major and minor characters they already juggle every season. They are trying to move towards its endgame and this means making difficult choices. Any chance that they can avoid introducing a brand new character/entourage and an isolating journey they will. They will consolidate their actions (if they are important to the larger plot) to an existing character that the audience already knows and cares about. That's how it's going to be from here on out.

As for attempting to equate a 30 second scene with Cersei and Mace with the exclusion of a brand new set of characters/setting/plotline, well I don't know what to tell you about that. It's not nearly the same thing plotwise or production reality-wise.

In terms of why they included the scene of Cersei sending Mace to the Iron Bank, I'd say it's an important one for both Cerei's story (as she is actively trying to rid King's Landing of the Tyrell influence, you don't think she has Meryn tagging along just for fun, do you?) as well as Arya's story (which I'm sure we'll see later on in the season). You'll note they found a way for her to repeat her kill list again and it just so happens one of the people on the list is heading her way. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

No. The Riverlands seem to have been completely snuffed out of existence in the show; Brienne and Jaime, who were in the Riverlands by this point in the books, have gone to opposite ends of the continent. Blackfish, Walder, and Edmure, the major Riverlands characters, are not appearing. Stoneheart is confirmed as cut.

As for the Iron islands: HBO edited Aeron and Victarion out of the official family tree. They seem to have genuinely forgotten about the Ironborn's existence; Balon isn't even dead yet! Euron MIGHT appear during this season or season six, but probably not. Yarasha can be brought back, since they bothered bringing her back last season, but even that's looking unlikely.

I wonder then if and how they really plan on condensating two final books (posibly totalling thousands of pages) in one season 7, though.

S5 will get us to the end of AFFC/ADwD basically so they'll have S6 for TWoW and S7 for ADoS. If they end up including Euron (or any new Greyjoys) after S5, they will be introduced in a different manner and most likely won't be dwelling on the AFFC stuff.

No. The Riverlands seem to have been completely snuffed out of existence in the show; Brienne and Jaime, who were in the Riverlands by this point in the books, have gone to opposite ends of the continent. Blackfish, Walder, and Edmure, the major Riverlands characters, are not appearing. Stoneheart is confirmed as cut.

As for the Iron islands: HBO edited Aeron and Victarion out of the official family tree. They seem to have genuinely forgotten about the Ironborn's existence; Balon isn't even dead yet! Euron MIGHT appear during this season or season six, but probably not. Yarasha can be brought back, since they bothered bringing her back last season, but even that's looking unlikely.

They may have forgotten about Balon, it's not like there isn't a precedent.

Or, they're saving his death for next season because this is when they will introduce Euron. He was prophecied to be a big problem for Dany, wasn't he? So maybe he couldn't be edited out.

They may have forgotten about Balon, it's not like there isn't a precedent.

Or, they're saving his death for next season because this is when they will introduce Euron. He was prophecied to be a big problem for Dany, wasn't he? So maybe he couldn't be edited out.

Even if Euron never appears, Yara will still be an important character on the show and whatever happens to Balon will impact her so I imagine we'll get closure with that plotpoint. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we deal with it later this season, much the same way Yara and Balon appeared unannounced in the S3 finale.

Could it be that Yara will play Euron's role?

It's very hard to see how the show's version of Asha would become a crazy lady using black sorcery.

The changes being made (or that look to be being made) in season 5 would appear to render huge chunks of TWOW, in particular, irrelevant -- no fAegon, it looks like no Battle of Meereen, etc.

It's very hard to see how the show's version of Asha would become a crazy lady using black sorcery.

She may very well end up a crazy lady looking to use dragons for revenge... I honestly don't see it, nor want it, but it could conceivably work if they choose to eliminate the Greyjoys.

There are now so many character being cut from the books that trying to work out how they seam together the plots is becoming almost impossible.

It seems as though the show is narrowing itself to the main players (Starks, NW, Dany and Lannisters) and any extra plot lines are going altogether.

I genuinely think any things that have kept book readers intrigued won't have any appearance on the show. For example: Jon's parentage/Tower of Joy; The fate of Benjen; The sub plot with the Greyjoys; the pink letter to Jon; Lady Stoneheart or The Blackfish. I am undecided on fAegon or a Dorne representative to Dany

If Stannis doesn't capture Yara/Asha on his march to Winterfell then its clear the Ironborn have been put aside for the rest of the show. I doubt the Riverlands or Brotherhood will make an appearance again.

If Vary's kills Kevan and gives his Aegon speech but replaces him with Daenerys then its clear he's been cut.

Your thoughts?

Hahahaha! GRRM will take 8-10 years to write the next two books, given his pace, and that's assuming he's even around to write them. (Does GRRM smoke?)

HBO is essentially done with the books -- it's already outpaced the books with Sansa, and soon will do so with Arya and Jon.

While I do believe we'll have a storyline in season 6 involving Walder Frey, I agree with the posters who say these storylines are out. D&D are definitely trying to wind things down and end the saga and it seems as though the Ironborn and the Riverlands skirmishes are tangential to the bigger story.

Archived