How would you rate episode 502?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7 for me. This is S5 Introduction, part 2, in my mind, with the same issues that first episodes have. I like Meereen, it presented a good, clear narrative that built up the internal conflicts as the primary threat to Daenerys (obviating the need of expansive -- and expensive -- external threats). Dorne looks gorgeous, but giving Ellaria the Catelyn treatment makes me very sad.

This episode should have given Dorne at least twice as much time (easily done by dropping the Tyrion-Varys scene which reiterated things we already knew; well-acted, yes, by two of the show's best actors, but still, it was unnecessary) and it should have been the Sand Snakes demanding revenge; Ellaria could show up later in some capacity.

Also, Arya, that's another oddly padded out one, but obviously that's a structural issue -- having it done in one scene would have been weird.

Stannis-Jon was good. The election was very, very compressed, but nothing I found too troublesome.

Good

Now I wont have to sit through her boring AFFC storyline and watch her spend an entire season searching for Sansa

only to not even come close to finding her lol

Agreed. She was the second worst thing about AFFC/ADWD...only Quentyn could top her story.

To be fair and without nickping, I must give it a 7 because it is better than the first one.

I loved the interaction between Bronn and Lollys. It was rather sweet (Stupid Bracken!).

I thought it was strange first Arya was not admitted and then well after threatening some guys?

Meereen was also good and finally Dany was not totally wooden in this entire episode. So yeah

Lyanna!!! She came in it while somebody in this forum said once to me I should not hope for it (but she is the Lady Mormont. So no sisters? :crying: ) Gives the episode 2 points extra

Sansa/Brienne and Jaime/Cersei were strange scenes.

Pod was hilarious.

8/10! I was disappointed last week and now I'm totally stoked again!

Highlights:

Jaqen!

Drogon scene was awesome, Dany's vulnerability is good to see again.

Jon interacting with Stannis and finally being elected. Kit is doing so well this season, we even saw a smile.

The music. Season 4 was pretty meh, but this year the score is back to being epic.

More exciting than last episode

Things I liked:

Sansa being all regal

Dorne!

The NW election (Especially Aemon casting the last vote)

Jon & Stannis

Kevan telling Cersei "You are the queen mother, nothing more."

Shireen teaching Gilly to read

Daario, he is really growing on me

Dany & Drogon

Bronn & Lollys :lol:

The Slayer calling Janos out & Maester Aemon laughing at it :lmao:

Things I didn't like:

Dany killing the former slave :(

tHoB&W Arya is my favorite & I love seeing Maisie on camera but the whole thing in Braavos was weird

Pod & Brienne I was a fan of them in the books but I don't like them on screen

Ellaria demanding vengeance... Should have been the sand snakes

Jaime going to Dorne... Wait... What? Maybe this will pan out decent but for now I'm not digging it

Edited by Lyanna<3Rhaegar

6. Rather disappointed. Bit of a slide after the first episode. Some strange creative and narrative choices.

What I liked:

- Tyrion and Varys banter. They didn't do much this episode, but it was still great to visit them. And they produced the best line of the episode: "Are we going to spend the whole trip talking about the futility of everything?" "You're, right, no point".

- Someone finally telling Dany her father was a nutjob.

- The execution and semi-riot in Mereen. They're doing a good job of showing how segregated and ungovernable the city is.

- 'Jaqen's' reveal. I like that they specified that he is 'no-one', and as far as we know, might not even be the same Jaquen that she met at Harrenhal.

- Lyanna Mormont. Really happy they included that.

What I didn't like:

- Doran. Very disappointed. He's too angry and petulant. He should be measuring every word and look physically in pain; they didn't even mention his gout. They have time to turn it around, but its not a good start.

- Sansa's run-in with Brienne. Incredibly clumy. Littlefinger and Sansa are stopping by in a tavern, in plain sight??? I expect better.

- Weird-ass intro to the House of Black and White. Kicking her out and then letting her in? What was the point of that at all??

- Kevan. We know he mistrusts Cersei, but the Unsullied don't, so the scene really lacked meaning. I don't know why they bothered bringing him back in.

- I wish they'd given Jon time to ponder over Stannis's offer rather than straight up choosing to refuse.

Edited by Mr Smith

Not really sure. I give it a 6/10 for now.

I feel this. Im giving it a 6 right now. But i may change my vote when it really sinks in. There were things i really liked and things i want to die in a fire. So...i have the conflicts.

Bear Islands knows only one king....

This made the episode great.

I squeed. Its been a while since i squeed. I loved that. It really did brighten things up.

Edited by Florina Laufeyson

Truth be told, sometimes it's hard to decide why I like or dislike certain parts of the show because of my likes/dislikes in the book.

I think they're doing a decent job with the show given that this part of the story arc for everyone is supposed to be in a stage of rebuilding/continuing to build.

However, I also know that the show is supposed to start deviating from the books a bit. That being said:

-Dany still annoys me and her storyline in Meereen. I know, and understand why she's going through this, but it doesn't make it any less painful for me. BUT at least there was some dragon to make it better because in all this I'm rooting for the actual animal dragons.

-Arya's storyline... Jaqen... Interesting.

-Jon on the Wall, I generally enjoy seeing all of that unfolding so not bad.

-It's nice to at least see Dorne.

-Cersei is still... Well... The best part of all of that was the small council scene by far.

-Hey! It's Bronn!

It'll be interesting to see the show truly start becoming it's own entity. I wonder how much will change. Too early to tell, I have a feeling.

What I didn't like:

- Doran. Very disappointed. He's too angry and petulant. He should be measuring every word and look physically in pain; they didn't even mention his gout. They have time to turn it around, but its not a good start.

As someone who has chronic pain every day, pain CAN make you angry and petulant. Another thing is that one can try not to look in constant pain but it's written all over one's face. He had dark circles under his eyes, a tell-tale sign of chronic pain because it's your body's way of telling your it is fatigued even if you had a full night's sleep.

I laughed too many times throughout the episode due to silly logic and awkward writing, particularily the Cersai/Jaime scene and Ellaria. There were some strong moments like Kevan's scene, Tyrion, Jon + Stannis. Also kind of funny how he offered Jon the title of Stark only to immediately be shut down 5 seconds later. Should have mentioned it last episode, gave the audience some time to think on it, and then shut it down. Same with the election, but what can you do.

I actually like what's happening in Mereen, it's nice that it's not relying on Danny to tell the story. But Danny continues to make bad decisions, though I suppose that's on par with the books. But what was with that hissing by the Meeren people at the end?

Things I liked:

- Kevan Lannister was really cool

- Shireen, Gilly and Sam

- Doran was great

- Jon and Stannis were great

- I like the design of Braavos. The Titan was awesome.

- Bronn and Lollys

- Lyanna Mormont's letter

- Not part of this episode but it was in the preview for next week. It has to do with Jon and a block.

Things I didn't like:

- Ellaria Sand being a bloodlusted murderess

- Brienne meeting Sansa

- Arya being left out of the House of Black and White for no reason

- All Meereen scenes

Overall it was a good episode but not the greatest. I give it a 7.249 out of 10.

Edited by Ser Greenseer

I actually like what's happening in Mereen, it's nice that it's not relying on Danny to tell the story. But Danny continues to make bad decisions, though I suppose that's on par with the books. But what was with that hissing by the Meeren people at the end?

People actually used to hiss along with booing to voice displeasure. Google "boo hiss".