How would you rate episode 502?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

6/10.

Was tempted to give it a 7 but the writing I felt lacked sense. Would give a list but everyone else has beat me to it.

The acting was extremely good, although I have to say, it felt really awkward watching an 18 year old play an 11 year old (arya).

Anyway it's official, the dragons look like dinosaurs with wings. Still love them though.

Edit- Jaquen h'gar being the kindly man made me cringe. Felt soooooo uncomfortable watching this, completely unnatural and forced.

Edited by Balerion the kitten

Well, that was definitely different than I expected. I gave it a 6 just because I felt that the LC election was not as big of a deal as it seemed to be in the books. I did like the Stannis offer to Jon, that seemed pretty good.

Little bit of Dorne was good, the actor playing Doran matched Oberyns accent very well.

Bronn and Jaime on the road should be excellent, two of my favorite smart asses!

Sansa / Brienne... not sure if I like where they are going with this. I mean, didn't anyone else in the tavern happen to notice the very large woman in armor call out to SANSA STARK

Tyrio, moping and bitching, hopefully it's not like this all season.

I think they're handling Meereen quite well. :dunno:

I liked the Meereen story in Episode 501, but this week felt like they were doing the complete opposite of what GRRM wrote. A trial for an ex-slaver (instead of question sharply) and a swift execution in front of the entire city for a former slave? I tilted my head to one side and just went "wut...?"

I did love the Drogon/Dany stuff. I'll never say no to my Queen and her baby.

One more thing to add to why I'm not feeling this episode quite as much: can I have Jorah back now please?

I liked the Meereen story in Episode 501, but this week felt like they were doing the complete opposite of what GRRM wrote. A trial for an ex-slaver (instead of question sharply) and a swift execution in front of the entire city for a former slave? I tilted my head to one side and just went "wut...?"

I did love the Drogon/Dany stuff. I'll never say no to my Queen and her baby.

One more thing to add to why I'm not feeling this episode quite as much: can I have Jorah back now please?

I think the questioning sharply will come later when things begin to deteriorate. Right now Dany is still in the early stages of ruling in Meereen and trying to do the right thing.

I agree with Nic, I think that Dany did the right thing. Not only did the slave disobeyed a direct order he undermined her authority. He gave her no choice.

Edited by MoIaF

Underwhelming episode.

With a great deal of difficulty I have finally decided on a 6 over my original 5.

Some clumsy acting mitigated by great acting and beautiful although massive CGI scenery.

Kudos to the sound editing. When the horn sounded announcing their arrival at Bravos it came from the left rear speaker and scared the cat! LOL.

Some nice inside nudge, nudge, wink, wink scenes to the book readers are probably what brought me to the 6.

Edited by Ser Graymax

I liked Meereen's story even in this episode. It was one of better handled storylines. The thing is that they are trying to show how Dany is struggling to do the right thing and how the right thing is not sometimes the best thing to do. Punishing ex-slave shows that Dany is ready to look at all sides for culprits and that she is indeed intending to be just. The problem is, and the show was maybe too obvious with that, she is in the middle of that. On one side are the slaves, on another Masters. She wants to bring peace in place where peace to its inhabitants was never a viable option. She is struggling, but she is doing the right thing. So far...

I doubt "question him sharply" will be included for three reasons:

• the show cut the shavepate.
  • Daario said it rather conspicuously in Ep 2.
  • the execution scene seems to serve as the show version of moral ambiguity scene since it has done something that wasn't there in the books: the children now "hate" their Mhysa i.e. hissing has replaced crowd surfing. The way I see it, as the children question her, we are also meant to do the same. :dunno:

Also, the show seems to have cut GG and in this episode the guy whop was killed, the one who was hiding in the wall, was repeatedly identified as the Harpy.

Edited by Kyoshi

Who was the bad acting in Meereen? I thought everyone was great, especially Emilia Clarke.

That is your opinion. I believe Barristan Selmy is lost at sea of bad acting all around him. Emilia Clarke has been consistantly the worst actress on the show. She is hot and I like her character in the books, but her acting is very poor. The guy who plays Daario deosn't know his character at all and I don't blame him. I blame the writers and whoever happens to be directing a given episode. When an actor does not know who he is supposed to be, he is lost and that guy is. Greyworm is just playing a stereotype that I find offensive. And he is doing it badly. Missandei is suffering from the same problems as Daario. All in all, very bad. I feel for Selmy and I hope Tyrion rises the bar in Meereene. So far, it is so bad it's bordering unwatchable.

That is your opinion. I believe Barristan Selmy is lost at sea of bad acting all around him. Emilia Clarke has been consistantly the worst actress on the show. She is hot and I like her character in the books, but her acting is very poor. The guy who plays Daario deosn't know his character at all and I don't blame him. I blame the writers and whoever happens to be directing a given episode. When an actor does not know who he is supposed to be, he is lost and that guy is. Greyworm is just playing a stereotype that I find offensive. And he is doing it badly. Missandei is suffering from the same problems as Daario. All in all, very bad. I feel for Selmy and I hope Tyrion rises the bar in Meereene. So far, it is so bad it's bordering unwatchable.

Have you been watching Sophie Turner this season? She seems like she's on Valium or something. Emilia is miles ahead of her as an actress.

Have you been watching Sophie Turner this season? She seems like she's on Valium or something. Emilia is miles ahead of her as an actress.

I thought Emilia did a great job, especially he scene with Drogon. Very well acted. Daario has been excellent as well.

Just in case you don't know, Cersei is one of main POV in the books 4 and 5. Not a big surprise she has some screen time.

Some yes. Too much, no, especially since her character has nothing to do with the one from books 4 and 5. Nothing is happening around her in this episode. She now hates Jaime and in season 4 she wanted to abandon everything for him and their children. I wish the writers consulted or read each other's episodes. Poor Lena. She has to be believable with such unbelievable script. With this many characters, Cersei sitting at her desk and later at the Small council meeting doing nothing is waste of valuable screen time. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see more of CErsei, but Cersei doing something resembling anything we read.

LOL. I agree, Sophie's performance, which I have always liked, seems really strange to me, she did seem like she could barely stay awake in last night's episode. I don't know about 'miles ahead' but Emilia was good last night, though I'd say "good" as opposed to servicable for the first time in a LONG time.

I do not think Sophie is Lena, but she started this show as a child with not much official training and she handled character transformation the best she could. But, poor Emilia is really bad. She looks lovely, but one cannot base Daenarys Targaryen on looks alone. And she did not start as a child actress on this show, but as a fully trained one. She is actually less wooden when she speaks Valyrian. Maybe she should stick to it? Again, I blame writers and directors more than actors. I bet half the time the actors do not have a clue why are they supposed to be doing or saying what they are.

LOL. I agree, Sophie's performance, which I have always liked, seems really strange to me, she did seem like she could barely stay awake in last night's episode. I don't know about 'miles ahead' but Emilia was good last night, though I'd say "good" as opposed to servicable for the first time in a LONG time.

I think Emilia is a talented actress. She was great in season 1, and in certain episodes/scenes here and there after. I blame her terrible season 2 completely on bad writing, and season 4 wasn't great for her either.

Sophie has just never blown me away like Emilia did in season 1, or her Dracarys scene. I really want to love her too, as she's playing one of my favorite characters (Jean Grey) in the upcoming X-Men movie.

I think Emilia is a talented actress. She was great in season 1, and in certain episodes/scenes here and there after. I blame her terrible season 2 completely on bad writing, and season 4 wasn't great for her either.

Sophie has just never blown me away like Emilia did in season 1, or her Dracarys scene. I really want to love her too, as she's playing one of my favorite characters (Jean Grey) in the upcoming X-Men movie.

I really don't know. She is SO inconsistent, I worry for Sarah Connor.

I've generally really liked Sophie's perfomance every season, so, her somnambulist impersonation was very strange, her make up also was terrible. I don't know anything about B. Singer, if he's good w/actors or not, that could be the difference.

An 8.

Pros and cons

+ Book dialogue

+ Lyanna Mormont's letter to Mannis

+ Doran

+ Mannis

+ Kevan

+ Barristan telling Dany about King Aerys

+ Stannis' offer to Jon

+ Bronn

- Brienne just casually informing that "HERE IS A STARK, WHO BTW IS WANTED FOR REGICIDE!"

- Brienne deciding to follow Sansa, who has a garrison of guards protecting her, while she decided to quit looking for Arya, who was alone in the wilderness

- Drogon's face looked weird and different than what we've seen from dragons in previous seasons and also Viserion & Rhaegal in 5x01 looked different

- Stupid outfits of House of Black and White people

- No worm

- No Boltons and Reek

- Arya killing pigeon that easily