How would you rate episode 502?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Sorry but I'm Anglo/Spanish and I grew up in Spain and the accents of Siddig and Varma sucked, because they sounded forced and not at all like the real thing... I like them as actors but why not have them speak naturally?

Oh, Clariana - we Brits could say the same about Peter Dinklage's accent - and we've put up with it for 4 years!

Oh, Clariana - we Brits could say the same about Peter Dinklage's accent - and we've put up with it for 4 years!

And Little Fingers, whats going on there?

Most accents are woeful. They sound fine to people not overly familar with them, but to locals they always sound terrible.

Who cares about the accents? They're not speaking British English, Spanish, whatever. They're speaking Westerosi, Valyrian, Rhoynish, Dothraki, etc. For continuity's sake, just pretend Tyrion has a Westerlandic accent, Oberyn, Ellaria, and Doran have Rhoynish accents, and Littlefinger has a Vale accent. And be thankful they're at least speaking English. The producers could have pulled a Mel Gibson and had them all speaking subtitled gibberish like they do in Mereen and the Dothraki Sea. That would have been accurate.

Who cares about the accents? They're not speaking British English, Spanish, whatever. They're speaking Westerosi, Valyrian, Rhoynish, Dothraki, etc. For continuity's sake, just pretend Tyrion has a Westerlandic accent, Oberyn, Ellaria, and Doran have Rhoynish accents, and Littlefinger has a Vale accent. And be thankful they're at least speaking English. The producers could have pulled a Mel Gibson and had them all speaking subtitled gibberish like they do in Mereen and the Dothraki Sea. That would have been accurate.

I agree entirely! If they can engage the audience and portray a believable character, I couldn't care less about the accent. That's the point I was making, really. :)

I don't care either on how authentic to a real accent these accents are. But I do care when Indira Varma's accent sounds different from last season, or when Aiden Gillen's Irish accent slips in a little bit now and then, or when Arya is accosted by three thugs who sound like they're from Westeros rather than Braavos.

355 votes in, 7.05 average -- quite a dip since my last tally, and it presently stands as the second lost rated episode of the series to date -- and 7.17 with top/bottom 5% removed.

355 votes in, 7.05 average -- quite a dip since my last tally, and it presently stands as the second lost rated episode of the series to date -- and 7.17 with top/bottom 5% removed.

Do you find that odd, or not? Me, I find this season is appreciably worse based on ep. 1 & 2, I thought ep 1 was the worst premier by far, and ep. 2 not very good and both episodes extremely slow with little tension. But this seems like a minority view.

Critics are raving about both episodes. Is there anything different in terms of the number of people voting that might have caused the dip?

I'm not sure if ep. 2 is the absolute worst of all the episodes, but it definitely would probably be at least a bottom 4.

Well, it's not a minority view on the forum, anyways. These two episodes are the lowest rated episodes of the series.

I personally don't think them quite that poor -- both are better than "The Night Lands", IMO -- but certainly it's a very slow start to the season, with some odd decisions regarding pacing.

Edited by Ran

It's stupid stuff like continuity with the necklace, and Brienne looking stupid going headlong to Baleish and announcing to the whole world yo Sansa! with ~10 knights there paid by Baleish.

And some of the special effects like Brienne cutting the post, and Obara? chucking the spear etc.

I predict that this trend of lower average ratings will continue through the season, for two reasons:

• Most of us who rated the first seasons were in awe for the scale of the production and the greatness of the cast. Now we take this for granted, and when we rate we mainly base our vote in the quality of the writing. Probably, if we were to update the ratings of the earlier seasons now, they would be substantially lower.
  • It seems to me that some of the most passionate fans about the show may have left this forum and have gone somewhere else. I'm refering to those that tended to give all the episodes a 10 (or at most a 9) , and called "purist" to anyone who disagreed, and I think I'm seeing less comments of this kind lately. It's just my impression, but it may be backed by the fact that this season's polls are having about a hundred votes less than in past seasons.
Edited by The hairy bear

I predict that this trend of lower average ratings will continue through the season, for two reasons:

• Most of us who rated the first seasons were in awe for the scale of the production and the greatness of the cast. Now we take this for granted, and when we rate we mainly base our vote in the quality of the writing. Probably, if we were to update the ratings of the earlier seasons now, they would be substantially lower.

It seems to me that some of the most passionate fans about the show may have left this forum and have gone somewhere else. I'm refering to those that tended to give all the episodes a 10 (or at most a 9) , and called "purist" to anyone who disagreed, and I think I'm seeing less comments of this kind lately. It's just my impression, but it may be backed by the fact that this season's polls are having about a hundred votes less than in past seasons.

These should be taken into account.

A good many people have left the forum due to the prevailing sense of bitterness about the show finishing before the books around these parts. This same sense, I think, accounts for this marked disparity between critical and fan consensus about 501 and 502's quality too. That and folks trying to counterweight the opinion of many Sullied TV critics that s5 was right to cut a ton of stuff from AFFC and ADWD and is an improvement on them story-wise. ;)

Edited by Konradsmith

A good many people have left the forum due to the prevailing sense of bitterness about the show finishing before the books around these parts. This same sense, I think, accounts for this marked disparity between critical and fan consensus about 501 and 502's quality too. That and folks trying to counterweight the opinion of many Sullied TV critics that s5 was right to cut a ton of stuff from AFFC and ADWD and is an improvement on them story-wise. ;)

Is there a prevailing sense of bitterness that the show is finishing first? Hasn't that been a foregone conclusion for quite a while?

I don't know, my problem isn't the cuts, it's that for these 'cuts' the final product feels rushed, the pacing is poor, the decisions of how the cuts were made, and cuts + their own filler and the ever growing list of continuity errors and strange and inconsistent characterizations. I doubt anyone expected the show was going to be able to have all plotlines, all characters from the books.

I'm also not sure how any type of poll would account for what you're asking, they already take of the top and bottom percents out to try and get a better sense without the votes on the margins.

7 for me. This is S5 Introduction, part 2, in my mind, with the same issues that first episodes have. I like Meereen, it presented a good, clear narrative that built up the internal conflicts as the primary threat to Daenerys (obviating the need of expansive -- and expensive -- external threats). Dorne looks gorgeous, but giving Ellaria the Catelyn treatment makes me very sad.

This episode should have given Dorne at least twice as much time (easily done by dropping the Tyrion-Varys scene which reiterated things we already knew; well-acted, yes, by two of the show's best actors, but still, it was unnecessary) and it should have been the Sand Snakes demanding revenge; Ellaria could show up later in some capacity.

I don't always agree with your criticisms of the show, but this time I completely agree about Dorne. After being introduced to one of the most amazing characters last year, Dorne should have been given its due with a few extra minutes.

Still I gave it an 8 (17 total for the season). No major complaints from me so far.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Having read the books, I am aware of the many plot deviations, especially regarding Brienne, Sansa, and Jamie. However, the show has also condensed or omitted the many mundane and tedious characters and plots of book 5, which is quite welcome. I do applaud the HBO directors for moving this story along in a more fluid manner than Martin has recently. Tyrion's arc in book five was such arduous reading, and it was sad to see his character devolve into so many ludicrous situations. Pigs? Really?

With all that being said, I am disappointed in the acting thus far in Season 5. Partly this is because many of the strongest characters (Ned, Robb, Catlyin, Twyin, etc.) have been killed off. This means we have lost some of the most engaging actors. More importantly, the overall plot and direction of Martin's book five has some serioius problems, which will undoubetdly affect this season's shows.

Having read the books, I am aware of the many plot deviations, especially regarding Brienne, Sansa, and Jamie. However, the show has also condensed or omitted the many mundane and tedious characters and plots of book 5, which is quite welcome. I do applaud the HBO directors for moving this story along in a more fluid manner than Martin has recently. Tyrion's arc in book five was such arduous reading, and it was sad to see his character devolve into so many ludicrous situations. Pigs? Really?

I thought Tyrion's travels were the most interesting in book 5. Stonemen, time travel, slavers!

But that is in contrast to what HB said. The people who left because of the confirmed knowledge that the show would finish first were more likely than not not giving 9s & 10s for each episode. While I do think that there is disappointment with the season so far, I think a lot of it is that we are getting more realistic ratings of the show. Everyone rates on their own criteria but I think we've started to move from "comparing to everything else on TV" to "comparing what it to what it could be/to prior episodes". It's still amazing TV, it still is entertaining but there are things that regardless of source material are weaker than they should be or could be.