She could have given the greatest speech in the world and it wouldn't have changed a damn thing if she still executed Mossador. The former slaves would still have been pissed.

I think you underestimate the power of a good speech, and strong leadership.

She could have easily responded, when the chants of the former slaves asking for mercy started.

something along the lines of:

"Mercy? You ask for mercy, for a confessed murderer? How many of you would so willingly forgive the murder of one of your own, if Mossador had slain them? There are no more slaves here, and there are no more masters here. Here, all the people of Mereen are equal, and all will be given equal justice.This man is a confessed murderer of a citizen of Mereen and the penalty for murdering a citizen of Mereen is death." Followed abruptly and unceremoniously by Mossador getting his head chopped off.

The point would have been emphasizing the equality of the citizens, and the equality of justice, with the actual execution just being a result.....

Instead, Daenarys made the execution of Mossador the entire focal point, rather than the concepts of equality and justice.

It's the difference between Mossador being executed as an anonymous murderer, and a symbol of equality between the two castes

-or-

Mossador being seen by the former slaves as a martyr, because Daeny comes off looking like a corrupt politician scratching the back of the masters.

*Edited for clarity

Edited by Epyon

I think you underestimate the power of a good speech, and strong leadership.

She could have easily responded, when the chants of the former slaves asking for mercy started.

something along the lines of:

"Mercy? You ask for mercy, for a confessed murderer? How many of you would so willingly forgive the murder of one of your own, if Mossador had slain them? There are no more slaves here, and there are no more masters here. Here, all the people of Mereen are equal, and all will be given equal justice.

This man is a confessed murderer of a citizen of Mereen and the penalty for murdering a citizen of Mereen is death." Followed abruptly and unceremoniously by Mossador getting his head chopped off.

The point would have been emphasizing the equality of the citizens, and the equality of justice, with the actual execution just being a result.....

Instead, Daenarys made the execution of Mossador the entire focal point, rather the concept of equality and justice. Mossador is then seen by the former slaves as a marty, and Daeny comes off looking like a corrupt politician scratching the back of the masters.

Dany needs new speech writers ;)

It seems that way. I recommend Gandhi and MLK.

Perhaps someone shorter (and apparently far more intoxicated) will get there at some point this season.

They just miss one another in the books, but the show is rapidly moving off in it's own direction, so perhaps we'll actually get to see something there this season. One could hope, at least, because Daeny's book story is nearly as terrible as book Sansa's at this point

Edited by Epyon

I'm pretty pissed about the Lollys scene. I was ready for that Bronn vs. Falyse's husband setup, but then here comes Jaime with the switch. Bronn got out of the sellsword life when he left Tyrion, he doesn't owe Jaime anything.

Also Lollys is surprisingly endearing. I think fat/pregnant!Lollys would have been just as cute, but I always expected her to not be the brightest tool in the shed, so I was pretty happy with her.

This episode was jammed with so many plot lines, I felt gorged as if at Joffrey's wedding. So it will take me a bit to digest.

*Buuuuurp!*

Pardon me ☺️

Enjoyed most of the meal.

Only felt bored during part of Varys/Tyrion's scene who's dialogue was mostly redundant from last episode.

Otherwise : 2Thumbs up!

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

I still think they wasted so much potential in this episode. Stoneheart should have aligned with Brienne and Jaime instead of this mummers farce.

These people pretty much sum up my thoughts to this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIS4dV0wdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1GxhTqMGy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fr2JYp4pFo

Edited by Poète Lauréat

I don't even know where to begin, I'm so stoked about this episode.

First, Lollys is adorable. I hope she and Bronn stay pen pals, even if he has to go be Jaime's man in Dorne.

LYANNA MORMONT'S ANGRY CHILD HANDWRITING TELLING STANNIS WHATS WHAT

Drogon has a face that expresses a personality. I am still astonished at the skill of the people who make that happen.

Dany's conversation with Barristan was phenomenal and did the legwork of an entire book. Thank you, writers, for expediting this development and simultaneously making both characters a lot more dynamic a lot faster. When Mossador started talking about his father and wanting his life to have meant something, the look on Dany's face was agonizing.

I don't hate hawkish Ellaria. I was definitely anticipating that she'd go this direction, and besides I feel it's in character for her TV version. She has never been all sweetness and light, and even if she hadn't seen Cersei's and Tywin's vileness in the flesh at Joffreys wedding, she certainly got to see the Lannister family dynamic during the farce of a trial Tyrion got. Plus, she kind of did watch her lovers head get crushed by the man who was instructed by Tywin Lannister to rape, murder and slay the children of the woman who would have been her sister in law (of a sort), with no repercussion whatsoever, and then probably saw Cersei looking at the carnage and smirking. So, there's that.

The Sam, Gilly and Shireen scene was brilliant. The writers have an uncanny way of finding alienated characters to put together in ways that you can't imagine in the books.

I will say that I was left a bit wanting by Brienne and Pod this week, but you can't always win them all.

She does a similar thing in the books but its in great part because her family fears the boltons rather than hating stannis. they ll come around :cool4:

Edited by Stag_legion

Show Ellaria wasn't this way last season...

Show Ellaria hadn't had to watch the greatest wonder in Westeros get his head squished last season. Stuff like that changes you.

Show Ellaria also doesn't even have a book counterpart left past the duel, so any accusations of character assassination are completely ridiculious. There is nothing to assassinate in the first place.

Edited by Spidey

You're right, I don't remember Ellaria being there when Oberyn tells Cersei that they don't hurt little girls in Dorne. I probably don't remember that because she wasn't there. Oberyn was writing a poem, walked with Cersei, mentioned the Sand Snakes during his walk. Is the scene coming back to you now, because you clearly don't remember the scene that you are talking about. Or did you get a transplant?

But she was there when he practically said the same thing to Tywin and Cersei - "hurting women and children in Dorne is distasteful" And, if you are unable to have a debate without resorting to offenses, perhaps, you shouldn't.

Yes, Ellaria tried to calm Oberyn down...back when he had eyes and a head to put them in. If we as book readers are to accept that Cat can release Jaime and send Brienne on a ridiculous mission to King's Landing to get her daughters back, how is it difficult to believe that Ellaria will be angry after her lover's death?

Because that was always who Catelyn was. Here we have the complete change of character and even more, complete transformation that makes zero sense. Yes, her lover was killed in front of her, but now she completely goes out of herself and act like some sort of zombie vengeful lady. Even for LS, we had death/resurrection as the reason.

Why would that Knight want Pods head when he saw he was unarmed? Hes a Knight isnt he? Not every knight is a goddamn brute that has crap for honor. Espescially against an unarmed opponent.

Well the whole reason they're chasing Pod and Brienne is to kill them. Littlefinger doesn't want these two spreading tales of how he's consorting with Sansa Stark, known traitor and accessory to the murder of Good King Joffrey. And you've got to bring back the head as proof for the boss that you did your job.

I'm pretty pissed about the Lollys scene. I was ready for that Bronn vs. Falyse's husband setup, but then here comes Jaime with the switch. Bronn got out of the sellsword life when he left Tyrion, he doesn't owe Jaime anything.

Yes, that's why Jaime took his castle away by marrying Lollys off. If he wants a bigger castle, he's got to make sure Jaime comes back alive. Unless the Prince of Dorne offers him a bigger one... How big a castle will Bronn end up with by the time the series is over: Casterly Rock?

Yep, when he's talking to the redhead in Illyrio's garden I believe.

The line's also used in "A Golden Crown", from one of the wildlings who try to abduct Bran Stark.

"Piss on Mance Rayder! And piss on the North! We're going as far south as south goes! There ain't no White Walkers down in Dorne."

Dany went all Stannis on the former slave who murdered the Son of the Harpy.

Dannis???

She went all Ned Stark and broke the most basic rules! She turned away and had someone else do the executing. On top of that, she made a show of it! I thought between that and the riot that followed there were definite Joffrey nods regarding failure in ruling.

There were those who rightly predicted that the show would use an already cast actor for the character of the 'Kindly Man' , who in the books never has a name.

So indeed (as we knew by now)Tom Wlaschiha is back.

(I wonder about those who think the show would cast someone else?)

I am glad to see Wlaschiha he not only has a charismatic face but comes across as an exotic.

A fine actor with a finely balanced mode of delivery , his German accent is just the spin needed for a guild of the otherworldly.

Edited by boojam