Dany never got such a big truth drop about her father in the books. That could be an acceleration/condensing of her character development.

I'm glad they wrote it like they did because TV is a more stupid media than books. That was pretty much what GRRM wrote in the books aswell, but he was more subtle with it. Book Selmy tries to tell Dany about her father but Dany cuts him short because she's already afraid of being daddy's girl. This is why Dany behaves the way she behaves and by the looks on the posts on this forum, it's a plot point missed by many. Glad the tv writers decided to make the point across with this scene so that even the simple ones understand Dany's motivations.

What I didn't like about the scene where Dany delivered justice was the fact it was so out of character. Jon Snow is an honorable character, citing vows and following the rules. Dany is a moral character, who creates her own principles and defines what is right and what is wrong all by herself. Dany would never deliver death penalty because it was right in the light of justice system. That's what Jon would do. Dany would kill someone for being "bad", but that was not the case here. She clearly struggled with the decision. But again, TV is not literature, so I can understand the decision. Justice system holds great legitimacy so contrasting her actions with justice (and therefore what is generally viewed as right) instead of her own morals makes the point across more sharply.

I'm just glad the show will conclude before the books. All the show haters will still be hating even then, but I can't wait to laugh in face of book purists. :)

Wow the books are the reason there is a show, and there were book fans long before this show was even a thought...

Most book fans enjoy the show, however many are starting to have doubts with how D&D are "Adapting" this. It is one thing to streamline things for budget and time concerns.... it is quite another to do so, only to add their own contributions to the story that are of overall less quality that the source material and creates more of a mess with the plot lines...

D&D and their writing staff are not even remotely on the level of GRRM, they have not spent the years developing these characters, and lack the writing depth and understanding to change and merge characters, in most cases, or to go off script... They have missed opportunities as well...D&D's policy to begin with was to not show flashbacks, and miss out on the battle at the tower of joy...which gives stark contrast to the Kingsguard we currently have... and others, only to do an about face and bring in a flashback for Cersei on Maggi the frog and then leave out the little brother...

also without Stoneheart, the whole BWB story had no impact on the greater story of the show, why introduce a character that can be raised from the dead, or bring up the curse of the Rat King, if it does not foreshadow the Resurrection of Stoneheart....which also leaves out Nymeria and Arya connection...

The whole Darth Sansa thing going on.... If they have her marry Ramsey, the Lemoncakes will totally riot... LF being dumbed down and being far less calculating and much more living off of spur of the moment decisions...same with Varys... These characters are being dumbed down, and that is a total shame.

I could go on and on, but the story is becoming watered down and dumbed down more and more as D&D continue to add in their own work in place of Martin's, which has led this season to begin with a whimper and not near as compelling as any of the previous seasons... I hope that changes, as I have thoroughly enjoyed the overall adaption, but it is very concerning IMHO.

Since season 3 I've been viewing the show as entertaining fan fiction.

Therefore, I absolutely LOVE the return of Jaqen.

Bronn and Lollys. It just amused me.

And I loved the Brienne/ Pod scenes ...except for Brienne loudly announcing Sansa's identity. Doesn't she know Sansa is a fugitive?

But I did like watching her hack the crap out of LF's knights and her and Pod's campy interactions. I like campy with TV.

I like that Dany isn't being portrayed as a Mary Sue anymore. I also like that the former slaves are now shown as multi-racial instead of all dark skinned like the dreaded crowd-surfing scene (which was too corny for me).

And Braavos looked awesome

And I LOVE show Shireen!

No glorified rape scenes.

What I didn't like:

Arya's scenes being boring until the end,

Ellaria being blended into too many contradictory characters

The Lord Commander election (Aside from Sam snark and Maester Aemon) Seriously, they have the cgi budget for dragons, the 3-eyed crow, etc, but not for talking ravens? Mormont's raven is one of my favorite side characters.

Tyrion and Varys pretty much doing nothing with Tyrion bitching about it. Though that tone did follow the book, lol.

As a big fan of both the show and the books, I can appreciate why certain areas need to be streamlined. I agree that so far not everything has worked. I did enjoy yesterday's episode though, particularly seeing Dorne and Doran for the first time, and the letter to Stannis.

I love Bronn but would liked to have seen the repeated failed attempts on his life and not him going to Dorne. I have the feeling that he'll replace Oakheart and meet Areo.

Regarding the wedding LF was discussing, it suggested the proposal was for him and not Sansa, or did I misinterpret the situation? I thought Brienne meeting both girls would make perfect sense if LS were around.

Sansa marrying Ramsey makes no sense to me at all.

-Shortening Arya's list and removing Illyn, Dunsen, and Raff. She talked about them in seasons 1 and 2.

About Payne, correct; not true about the others. Dunsen and Raff never existed on the show.

-Sansa being an asshole to Brienne for no absolutely reason.

Because she thinks Brienne is untrustworthy. Fairly obvious reason.

-Qyburn as Hand of the King.

Qyburn isn't Hand of the King.

-Oh top of that, when this guy kills the Harpy she just goes and executes him without a trial.

He confessed. He didn't need a trial.

Edited by Colonel Green

And I loved the Brienne/ Pod scenes ...except for Brienne loudly announcing Sansa's identity. Doesn't she know Sansa is a fugitive?

What in the flipping seven was Brienne thinking when she just strolled up to Sansa in front of LF and his guards! As if LF would just let his lottery ticket go skipping off into the sunset with Tweedledumb and Tweedlepod.

No wonder Sansa refused to go with her, talk about stooopid!

I'm actually pretty excited for the Dorne storyline. Doran's speech to the Sand Snakes, when he reveals his true plans, is one of my favorite scenes from A Feast For Crows. I bet they save that for EP9 or EP10. I think it will be revealed that the Dornish kingdom is secretly planning to back Danny. Maybe even that Varys is their envoy to her. I'm really excited.

The scene you're referring to in AFFC where he reveals his plans is with Arianne, not the sand snakes, who does not exist in the show. He talks with the Sand Snakes in a separate scene in ADWD.

What in the flipping seven was Brienne thinking when she just strolled up to Sansa in front of LF and his guards! As if LF would just let his lottery ticket go skipping off into the sunset with Tweedledumb and Tweedlepod.

Poor writing....IMHO

Brienne is not subtle, in either books or show. Her strategy for tracking Sansa down in the books was hopelessly and dangerously transparent. In season 4, Brienne bluntly asked Hotpie about Starks, and it worked out for her so she's even gotten some positive reinforcement on the show for this path. It isn't bad writing on the part of the show, it is a choice to let Brienne bask in her non-subtle glory. The show is aware that this is a bad strategy on Brienne's part. And it doesn't work out for her.

A more subtle character would have avoided calling out Sansa's name. But that's not Brienne. Brienne hoped that being honest and honorable would be enough. It wasn't.

Edited by Janicia

Brienne is not subtle, in either books or show. Her strategy for tracking Sansa down in the books was hopelessly and dangerously transparent. In season 4, Brienne bluntly asked Hotpie about Starks, and it worked out for her so she's even gotten some positive reinforcement on the show for this path. It isn't bad writing on the part of the show, it is a choice to let Brienne bask in her non-subtle glory.

A more subtle character would have avoided calling out Sansa's name. But that's not Brienne.

And yet she was subtle in KL when she had access to Sansa... Brianne saw her in the Godswood in the show and yet stayed at a distance instead of pledging her sword to her, telling her about her vow to her mother etc... This is where the TV writers have difficulty going off script and keeping a character true to their nature...

also without Stoneheart, the whole BWB story had no impact on the greater story of the show, why introduce a character that can be raised from the dead, or bring up the curse of the Rat King, if it does not foreshadow the Resurrection of Stoneheart....which also leaves out Nymeria and Arya connection...

Couldn't agree more. Seeing the Brienne/Sansa stuff this week is making me realise what a convoluted mess the knock on effect on other storylines of cutting Lady Stoneheart has been.

Her Oathkeeper/noose scenes with Brienne were awesome, bringing Brienne's bond with Jaime (as well established as it's been in the show) to crisis point. So that's gone.

BWB set up ... all useless.

Arya's connection to Nymeria ... never touched on.

Blackfish still AWOL going for a piss.

It's making the writing look so amateurish.

Edited by Damorian

If Brienne and Pod never came into that tavern nobody in that tavern would have known that Sansa Stark or Petyr Baelish were ever there. It was the same thing when Catelyn was traveling incognito back in season one, nobody recognized her until Tyrion walked in the place.

Sure, but in that case that was one of the instigating actions in Stark v. Lannister. Here, the instigator for the Alayne/Sansa story is secrecy - questioning the decisioning of why LF is parading her around is valid. At the end of the season this may all make sense but since all we (whether it is from the books or the show) is that Sansa Stark is still wanted surrounding Joffreys death and is the last known Stark alive him having her out and about doesn't appear to follow valid reasoning.

For me it's not that the story doesn't follow the books, it's that what LF is doing doesn't really seem to follow reason.

I'll have some things to complain about, but i'll keep that to myself. The three things i thought were awesome though were:

1-The actor Ian Gelder and his awesome Kevan Lannister, some nice acting!

2-Qyburn, Anton Lesser does him very well. Such an intriguing character.

3-To see Doran, Siddig seems like a good choice.

Couldn't agree more. Seeing the Brienne/Sansa stuff this week is making me realise what a convoluted mess the knock on effect on other storylines of cutting Lady Stoneheart has been.

Her Oathkeeper/noose scenes with Brienne were awesome, bringing Brienne's bond with Jaime (as well established as it's been in the show) to crisis point. So that's gone.

BWB set up ... all useless.

Arya's connection to Nymeria ... never touched on.

Blackfish still AWOL going for a piss.

It's making the writing look so amateurish.

To play devils advocate for a split second, had GRRM gotten the damn book out sooner and not stalled bc even he doesn't know where he's going w this specific story/angle, D&B wouldn't be in as tight a spot as they are and felt like they had to leave her out of the show.

Edited by jbent87