BWB set up ... all useless.

Arya's connection to Nymeria ... never touched on.

It's only "setup" if you know about the Stoneheart story. To people who don't, the Brotherhood were a neat part of Arya's season 3 story. That's enough purpose for any set of characters, and you'll notice there's no great wondering amongst the Unsullied as to where those guys went or what the point was.

Arya/Nymeria not getting touched on is not a consequence of cutting Stoneheart. The writers could do it without her. That they haven't shows they don't want to.

...and what makes you think that? There's an entrenched and unfair class system in Westeros, just as there is in Essos...do you think she would be happier with the nobility of Westeros mistreating those underneath them than she is with Masters and Slaves? I sure as hell don't.It would be just the same in the end if she doesn't learn how politics work. Right now, she doesn't. And until she does, she's not going to be an effective ruler, no matter where she is.

Depends on a lot of things, it's not so black and white as debates often make it out to be. Politics is a very broad spectrum, who's polotics, which political point, which practices, which laws, which politicians? There is a vast cultural and political difference in between Meereen and Westeros. Would she like everything about Westeros? No, but can you name any fan or character in the books that likes everything about Westeros?

Take Dorne, seems to me there is a lot to like in Dorne, but the Dornish are not the same as the Northerners, and the Northerners themselves have different cultures like White Harbor, the clans, and the Starks. They are further different from Reach and the Crownlands, people in the Crownlands have different practices as well. Would she like all the corruption in KL? Probably not, can't say many are a fan of corruption. Would she like how bastards are far more excepted in Dorne, that woman can make choices and rule? Probably, those are pretty good things. Would she want the small folk treated better? Yes, but there are easier measures to take with making better lives for the small folk than ending thousands of years of slavery and trying to get freemen and slavers to coexist. The people of Westeros already coexist on many levels, it needs to be improved and is at an all time low, but it iss not always like that. Would she be ok with Guest rights in the North, probably it's a good practice.

She has seen worse in Essos, far worse, so Westeros probably stands an easier chance of her adapting to it then lets say Slavers Bay, which is by and large a shit stain on the universe. I know where Ned Stark stood on the execution of Children, I know where Dany stands, and I see common ground in values. Westeros has a lot of corruption and a lot of bad people, it also has a lot good people, and a better value system. How many people would execute 163 children in Westeros? How many would make sport of children and Bears? We already know slavery is illegal and punishable by death or the wall.

We can't really get into what every single person in Westeros would do or say or think, just like we will never get that from any character about every single person in Westeros and every practice, there are people in Westeros that clearly don't like every existing practice to begin with.

The one thing I do know is that it is not slavers bay and the people are more flexible, and have developed more and have shown the ability to change and except. Dorne is a great example of that. No there is no perfect solution, you can't make everyone happy. But you can effect change for the better, and in Westeros an improvement in women' rights would be good change even if some don't like it. It would be good to see some Dornich practices spread north. Do you really want both Westeros and slaverrs bay to remain stagnant and not grow or develop. Dany' story is hard for the same reason Jon' story with the Wildlings and Watch is hard, it's because change is hard. That's why in history revolutions are most often markers of change. They can be very bloody, but they have still effected a lot of change and development.

Sure, but in that case that was one of the instigating actions in Stark v. Lannister. Here, the instigator for the Alayne/Sansa story is secrecy - questioning the decisioning of why LF is parading her around is valid. At the end of the season this may all make sense but since all we (whether it is from the books or the show) is that Sansa Stark is still wanted surrounding Joffreys death and is the last known Stark alive him having her out and about doesn't appear to follow valid reasoning.

For me it's not that the story doesn't follow the books, it's that what LF is doing doesn't really seem to follow reason.

It is not like he has hidden in the books either and I would argue having her interact with knights and other high borns in the Vale (as in the books) runs a greater risk of Sansa being identified than randomly stopping by a tavern for a bite to eat as he does on the show.

It's only "setup" if you know about the Stoneheart story. To people who don't, the Brotherhood were a neat part of Arya's season 3 story. That's enough purpose for any set of characters, and you'll notice there's no great wondering amongst the Unsullied as to where those guys went or what the point was.

Arya/Nymeria not getting touched on is not a consequence of cutting Stoneheart. The writers could do it without her. That they haven't shows they don't want to.

Not really... The BWB was neat until it drops entirely from the scene... it leaves people wondering what is going on in the Riverlands...and was totally unnecessary if you are not going to complete the arc... from an adaption pov is was poorly done, from a stand alone, again people who have not read the books are wondering wtf it was all about, since we have not heard anything about them since...

These decisions are made on a season per season basis, and it shows... Arya's list is now only 3 people.... ok....Arya asks the Hound last season why he has no gold... totally forgetting to say that the BWB took his gold in season 3....It is horrible continuity and indefensible unless you care nothing for details.

Jons election as Lord Commander felt really, really rushed.

But worse, the "deciding vote" (moreover by Maester Aemon!) was a totally lame film-cliche. GoT unworthy, so bad.

aemon wasn't the deciding vote

one of the voting shapes was on the wrong pile so he moved it

also i agree it was rushed. They shoulda pushed it towards the end of the episode and let the stannis/jon snow scene sit in the viewers head

to have stannis offer him winter fell and then go right to a scene of him telling sam he won't take it was kinda lame....

also so if Sansa is going to Winterfell and Littlefinger has a marriage proposal does that mean she will be the "fake arya" and instead just marry sansa off to Ramsey?

and then instead of having the brienne/pod wandering the river lands plot they'll play the role of Mance and the spear wives? considering Mance is dead?

i hope they dont play as Asha/Yara instead, i wanna see her back on the show

Edited by Gendry_Goldeneyes

There is a gargantuan difference between not going well, and comparing her to Joffrey.

Jon struggles to rule during ADWD too, but somehow I doubt you'll jump to comparing him to Joffrey. His people tried to kill him too. So again the only difference is swinging the sword himself? That's just stupid.

Oh please. Can't folk work it out?

First you have the box speech and Varys telling Tyrion he is needed. Then you have Danny trying to do a Ned and ending up doing a Joffrey.

The parallels with the Joffrey/Ned execution are obviously intentional. What is more I think the parallel between Tyrion's journey in a box and the journey made by the sorcerer who castrated Varys is also intentional.

It is not clear to me if Varys is only bringing Tyrion to advise. Does he know or suspect Tyrion's true parentage? Also just how much of the travel story is going to be cut out? Surely they have to separate Varys and Tyrion. Because one of the primary issues in book Tyrion's situation is that even though he ends up in Mereen, Danny has no reason to know or trust him.

Not really... The BWB was neat until it drops entirely from the scene... it leaves people wondering what is going on in the Riverlands...and was totally unnecessary if you are not going to complete the arc... from an adaption pov is was poorly done, from a stand alone, again people who have not read the books are wondering wtf it was all about, since we have not heard anything about them since...

The BWB and Tullys will probably return to the show when the Freys return and something big goes down in the Riverlands - probably in season 6. GRRM put that story on back-burner for a while with very little happening. Killing a few redshirt Freys doesn't count as something happening. But when there is stuff to do there, those characters will come back. It is inconceivable that the show won't circle back to Walder Frey - the Red Wedding was one of the biggest moments of the show. Be patient.

Having Mormont's raven flying out of the pot or landing near Jon would have been cheesy.

The worst parts of the Brienne / Sansa / Vale knight fight scene were Turner's acting and Pod's over-the-top imbecility. I thought it was hilarious that Brienne just upped and declared her Sansa Stark. Half of Westeros is going know about Sansa soon.

Every scene Bronn is in is great. I think he survives the season. His character is too useful for TV. You can pair him with anyone and make the scene more awesome. You need to balance a drama with some humor or else you lose the audience. He does that.

I've railed against Meereen in the books, and never thought I'd say this, but I don't mind the Meereen stuff so far this season.

It is not clear to me if Varys is only bringing Tyrion to advise. Does he know or suspect Tyrion's true parentage? Also just how much of the travel story is going to be cut out? Surely they have to separate Varys and Tyrion. Because one of the primary issues in book Tyrion's situation is that even though he ends up in Mereen, Danny has no reason to know or trust him.

Even if Tyrion is a secret Targaryan in the books, he probably won't be one in the show. The show hasn't established that only Targaryans can ride dragons so it does't need Tyrion to have Targaryan blood. And it is far from guaranteed that Tyrion will be a dragon rider in either medium. Those dragons are probably going to start dying soon.

Anyway, it would be cheap to undercut the Tyrion / Tywin relationship by pulling a "oops you weren't Tywin's son after all" plot development.

and you'll notice there's no great wondering amongst the Unsullied as to where those guys went or what the point was.

which is why everyone I know who hasn't read the books - around 25 or so people - HAVE all at some point chipped in with variations of questions to the tune of: What happened to those resistance fighters? What was the point of only bringing Beric back if they have that ressurection power to use against the Lannisters/White Walkers? What is Walder doing now? Is Blackfish still taking a piss?

Shit, shit writing, sorry.

I accepted changes made to the story the first three seasons but not this. GOT dropped the ball for me when it developed amnesia about every single character in the Riverlands except Arya and The Hound. The missing iconic horror beats of Lady Stoneheart aside ~

(behold her terrrifying majesty: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/232/d/e/lady_stoneheart_by_slothmaker-d7vzl29.png )

~ it was Edmure Tully's bloody wedding for Chrissakes, he deserved a few minutes in an episode revealing his fate (i.e more than half a S3 sentence throwaway from Walder about 'rotting in a dungeon') over any number of disposable sex scenes, not to mention the tragedy of really loving Roslin Frey. I was a staunch supporter of adaptation changes made in seasons 1-3, but since then the M.I.A character syndrome in GOT has gone beyond a joke for me and I've started to lose faith that season 5 will redress that.

Only really Jacquen H'gar has gone any way to alleviating it, but hey. Better than none.

Edited by Damorian

Yep.

Executing a man for disobeying your order if GOOD is you swing the sword yourself.

Executing a man for disobeying your order (and committing murder) is BAD if you have someone else swing the sowrd

makes sense to me.

:rolleyes:

Personally I prefer the hooded executioner myself, your not suppose to see the face and he is commiting an impartial act. It's suppose to be an act enforcing the law. Like Jon and Slynt, totally impartial. Good thing Jon has always obeyed his orders.

Honestly part of me gets Thorne on the show. "Oh the Halfhand told you to kill him and fuck a Wildling girl did he?"

Jon: Yeah.

I mean if you had not seen that part in the books yourself it would be kind of hard to swallow.

And I loved the Brienne/ Pod scenes ...except for Brienne loudly announcing Sansa's identity. Doesn't she know Sansa is a fugitive?

This.The fact that Sansa is a fugitive makes it so unlikely that LF will expose her the way he is doing,and that too with 10 swords from the Vale who may not be trustworthy.

aemon wasn't the deciding vote

one of the voting shapes was on the wrong pile so he moved it

also i agree it was rushed. They shoulda pushed it towards the end of the episode and let the stannis/jon snow scene sit in the viewers head

to have stannis offer him winter fell and then go right to a scene of him telling sam he won't take it was kinda lame....

I'm pretty sure Aemon was the deciding vote. He was just touching the pieces to see which one was the circle