Even if Tyrion is a secret Targaryan in the books, he probably won't be one in the show. The show hasn't established that only Targaryans can ride dragons so it does't need Tyrion to have Targaryan blood. And it is far from guaranteed that Tyrion will be a dragon rider in either medium. Those dragons are probably going to start dying soon.

Anyway, it would be cheap to undercut the Tyrion / Tywin relationship by pulling a "oops you weren't Tywin's son after all" plot development.

If any of the Lannisters have to be Aerys, then I'm hoping it is Jaime and Cersei. Tyrion and Tywin's relationship is too good. Also, Aerys ordering Jaime to kill his father and Jaime unknowingly doing just that seems like something GRRM would do.

I liked everything in this episode except for the Sansa/Brienne deal. The whole episode is shaping up to be significantly better than I would have guessed.But why in the hell is it that Cersei knew what was in the box before it was opened?

More in depth analysis: https://promethiumwings.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/game-of-thrones-s5e5/

- Since they stupidly left out Lady Stoneheart, I hope they at least have Jaime and Bronn decide to bring the head of Gregor with them as a gift to Doran Martell.

I assume the Ironborn are over and done with all together? They just gave up and went fishing, I guess.

I think Gregor's head is pretty certain. Why else do the dwarf head thing?

Undead characters don't really work on screen and introducing Lady Stoneheart would have people hoping for Tywin's return.

After seeing the scene with Jon being elected commander of the night's watch, I am 100% certain that he is going to get stabbed in the back in the last ep. The resulting meltdown from the unsullied should be glorious.

No, I think it will be episode 9. Same as Ned, the Red Wedding and Ygritte. The finale will be riding drogon.

If Brienne and Pod never came into that tavern nobody in that tavern would have known that Sansa Stark or Petyr Baelish were ever there. It was the same thing when Catelyn was traveling incognito back in season one, nobody recognized her until Tyrion walked in the place.

Baelish would obviously want to travel incognito so that explains why Pod and Brienne don't recognize the banners on the road. Stopping at the inn would be necessary but again they would not want to make too much of a fuss. The chance of meeting someone who would recognize Sansa stark is pretty small. They intend to be in Winterfell in a few days.

Bronn and Lollys are my favorite couple. I'm gutted they are being broken up by the writers. Any chance we'll see them together again?

She was splendidly clueless. But at least that mean sister might live a little longer.

I have crossed over to the dark side.

I have enjoyed the show until this season, but I have to admit to being greatly disappointed with the last two episodes. I think D&D have made stupid choices.

I understand the need to streamline some story lines. But they are making up stuff that makes no sense at all.

To be fair..... you don't know what they're making up, or that it will make no sense.... because George hasn't finished the story, and none of us have any idea what he's told D,D,&B, and what he hasn't.

Just like people last week jumping to conclusions that the short Maggy scene would be all of we see of her, when we'd only seen an hour of a 10-episode season. I personally think we'll get more of that one Cersei gets taken into custody. They'll need some stuff to accentuate her growing insanity, and that memory is a perfect way to do it. And if we don't get more, so what? The Valonqar is a huge bag a spoilers.

You might be right, and none of the plot lines will make any sense whatsoever, the show will suck, crash and burn, HBO will cancel it, and then you'll be happy that there's nothing more for you to complain about.

I, for one, have been happy with all the changes, and so far they make a lot of sense, and many have been improvements (for me, considering it's a TV show and a much different way of storytelling) over the books. So I trust them at this point.

Are there things I miss from the books? Of course. But nothing to the point that the story doesn't make sense. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it, and look forward every week to the next episode.

To be fair..... you don't know what they're making up, or that it will make no sense.... because George hasn't finished the story, and none of us have any idea what he's told D,D,&B, and what he hasn't.

Just like people last week jumping to conclusions that the short Maggy scene would be all of we see of her, when we'd only seen an hour of a 10-episode season. I personally think we'll get more of that one Cersei gets taken into custody. They'll need some stuff to accentuate her growing insanity, and that memory is a perfect way to do it. And if we don't get more, so what? The Valonqar is a huge bag a spoilers.

You might be right, and none of the plot lines will make any sense whatsoever, the show will suck, crash and burn, HBO will cancel it, and then you'll be happy that there's nothing more for you to complain about.

I, for one, have been happy with all the changes, and so far they make a lot of sense, and many have been improvements (for me, considering it's a TV show and a much different way of storytelling) over the books. So I trust them at this point.

Are there things I miss from the books? Of course. But nothing to the point that the story doesn't make sense. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it, and look forward every week to the next episode.

Actually we do know a lot of what they are making up because this is A Dance with Dragons, like Tyrion and Varys, hat is made up and their is no question it was made up. The scene with Dany and the execution is made up, for a act we know it is made up. Jaime and Bronn and Dorne, made up, Brie and Sansa made up, never happened.

I wonder if some Freys show up at Winterfell for the Wedding. Also, I cannot wait till Sansa is presented to Fat Walda.

Holy shit! I hadn't thought of that. YIKES. I'm also not sure she knows about the Boltons' part in the Red Wedding but she definitely will by the end of next episode.

I've enjoyed the Wall scenes in the first two episodes. The rest, not too much.

I didn't like at all how Ellaria Sand talked to Prince Doran. She is after all a Sand, not a Martell. Doesn't seem realistic that she could get away with that. Would have much preferred Arriane. Oh well.

In Dorne 'bastards' are a member of the family.

Edited by Fiery Heart

Show Ellaria didn't have her lover's head smashed in while the Mountain confessed to raping and killing people.

Book Ellaria saw the same thing, I believe, and spoke out to the Sand Snakes on the futility of exacting vengeance for Oberyn.

The Doran and Ellaria dialogue is from the books but in AFFC is Obara who's talking to the Prince of Dorne.

They're obviously having to condense plot lines, and that means condensing characters too.

IMHO - this is better, since we known and love Indira, and we don't have to get to know and remember yet another of the eleventy-bazlillion characters George adds.

I also think it makes Ellaria a far more realistic character to be in the mood she's in, and not some perfect peacenik, which would hardly play truthfully at this point. I'm sure the Unsullied fans would find peaceful Ellaria hardly believable, and blame it on lazy writing. I find show Ellaria is much more interesting than mostly-one-note book Ellaria.

I will say that Selyse on the show made a rational argument about Gilly. We know Gilly's an innocent/not really a standard wildling, but Shireen's father did just burn the Wildling King to death, so hanging out with one seems a pretty dangerous hobby.

aemon wasn't the deciding vote

one of the voting shapes was on the wrong pile so he moved it

also i agree it was rushed. They shoulda pushed it towards the end of the episode and let the stannis/jon snow scene sit in the viewers head

to have stannis offer him winter fell and then go right to a scene of him telling sam he won't take it was kinda lame....

he is fiddling with a round token as he counted the votes he cast the deciding vote.

Well said. +1

Brienne has the best luck in the series; runs into both Stark girls, survives The Hound w/o noticeable or lasting injury, saves Pod right when he's about to get sliced up... Lady Luck is a big fan of her, evidently.

Part of me wanted Thorne to become Lord Commander. I like him in the show. K-Lannister was awesome - finally someone who refuses to play Cersei's crappy games. Daario wasn't too bad this episode, I liked his little fear speech coupled with dagger-to-the-wall to prove his point. The Jaime-Bronn combo will (hopefully) be sweet, the Tyrion-Varys combo already is sweet, and Jaqen is back - which too will no doubt be sweet, assuming he hasn't been changed and will be given enough screen time.

Also, Dany dumb.

I think Eric Bana has been playing Daario just fine.

I see what you did there.

For the record, I hate the look and feel of the new Daario. He's not cheap and sleezy enough. But I suppose he's a better actor. Hard to say since I didn't see enough of the old one who was plenty cheap and sleezy. :leer: Daario numbah 1 just looked like I thought he would in my head while I was reading. Without his blue hair and beard.

Actually we do know a lot of what they are making up because this is A Dance with Dragons, like Tyrion and Varys, hat is made up and their is no question it was made up. The scene with Dany and the execution is made up, for a act we know it is made up. Jaime and Bronn and Dorne, made up, Brie and Sansa made up, never happened.

I understand where you are coming from, but books are made up too. Not trying to be smart, but they are.

The books were meant to be a trilogy, GRRM had an idea, developed a set of characters, then somewhere along the line he decided to more than double the size of the story. This meant extending the tale, adding tons more characters, backstory, complications and filler.

D&D by contrast have it easy, the source material is there. The story is laid out, they know where they have to get to, they have a very good idea what the end game is.

Having scenes where there is a riot in the street around Dany is a simple, easy, and direct way to paint how volatile the situation is. D&D sat down and decided that they needed x number of minutes per episode to get Dany to where she needed to be by the end of the series. Episode #1 introduce new threat, remind viewers that two of the dragons are locked up, that one is missing and why. Point out that regaining control of her dragons should be her first priority. Episode #2 increase tensions in city, show loss of control. At this stage anyone watching will be reminded that she was told that a happy populous is easier to control. The fighting pits were offered as a solution to keep the people happy. Episode #3...

GRRM, in the same situation, could add a new chapter, introduce a new character to paint the picture, or spend 20 pages having Dany think through her motives, laying it all out fir the reader.

D&D have 10 minutes, no more, to illustrate the problems she faces so that by episode 5/6 her story is well developed for the second half of the season.

Sending Jaime to Dorne gives that section of the story teeth as a main player has been introduced. Rather than opening up a whole new story with all new characters. Fans, and I mean series watchers here, will fear for Jaime's life, far more than some guy that they were only introduced to and has had 10 minutes of screen time and no development.

Thats where I was coming from in my first statement. GRRM made up this long story, with lots of twists, with the intention of drawing it all out. The show doesn't have that luxury. It needs clearly defined, time constrained, self explanatory story arcs.

I see what you did there.

For the record, I hate the look and feel of the new Daario. He's not cheap and sleezy enough. But I suppose he's a better actor. Hard to say since I didn't see enough of the old one who was plenty cheap and sleezy. :leer: Daario numbah 1 just looked like I thought he would in my head while I was reading. Without his blue hair and beard.

I have mixed feelings about Daario.

The original guy, like you said, was closer to how I imagined him. But he was a little flat. The new guy is smoother. I have problems seeing him as a feared fighter.

Its a compromise in casting IMHO.

In saying that, I do like the new guy, I'm just not sold on him as Daario.

Question about Cersei and Tommen. In this week's episode and in the books, she assumes the role of Regent. Am I right in saying that was a role she took and that it was not an automatic title she received when he was crowned underage? In other words, does the parent automatically become the regent or does that role have to be filled? And if so, would it normally be the council that fills it?

In saying that, I do like the new guy, I'm just not sold on him as Daario.

This.