Question about Cersei and Tommen. In this week's episode and in the books, she assumes the role of Regent. Am I right in saying that was a role she took and that it was not an automatic title she received when he was crowned underage? In other words, does the parent automatically become the regent or does that role have to be filled? And if so, would it normally be the council that fills it?

This.

Didn't Bob make Ned regent in GOT?

WRT the Sansa scene, I and others stated that Sansa eyes and body language is showing distrust of LF and Brienne, the way it's showing with Brienne going straight up to LF is foolish, but per Gwendolyn Christie it's noted in the script as Sansa being wary.

http://watchersonthewall.com/

Christie also spoke with Entertainment Weekly about the events of last night’s episode, and the fateful meeting at the inn.

“Brienne kneels before Sansa in an exact mimic of the oath she made to Catelyn Stark,” the actress says. “And Sansa says, ‘No.’ But in the script, it says there’s the tiniest look in Sansa’s eyes. The script says the look is telling Brienne: ‘Get the f–k out of Dodge.’”

I liked everything in this episode except for the Sansa/Brienne deal. The whole episode is shaping up to be significantly better than I would have guessed.But why in the hell is it that Cersei knew what was in the box before it was opened?

More in depth analysis: https://promethiumwings.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/game-of-thrones-s5e5/

In Westeros, if someone sends you a box anonymously, it is pretty obvious that it is going to be a threat. And with Tomen under guard it was probably only Myrcella that could be the target.

Quote isn't working for me but Kevan seemed to imply that Cersei was not the lawful Regent, it seemed like he would have supported Jaimie taking over on the basis of Jaimie being Tommens Uncle I suppose. In the books Cersei became Regent by default on the basis of being Joffreys Mother. Tywin as the Lord of Casterly Rock, Hand of the King was eventually able to push her aside despite her legal standing because he was the true source of her power in the capital. After Tywin died she became both Regent and the lawful ruler of the West at least in the books. If this is in dispute in the TV series and Kevan seemed to dispute it, which is further than he went in the books, where he simply refused to serve in her Council unless she layed her right to the Regency aside, then Cerseis authority would seem to be in deep trouble. She needs to have Casterly Rock backing her, in the TV show Tommen might be the rightful ruler of that as well, the inheritance rules are more sexist on the TV show, her rule would seem to rely entirely on Tommens consent.

I do feel the election for Lord Commander seemed a bit rushed , which would have been more reason for them to show Stannis putting some pressure on them to do so. Would have taken a minute, minute and half of screen time ..

I loved the look of Bravos. Not so much how Bravos was covered in ep 2.

I like Brienne's on screen demonstration how devastating a valyrian sword can be in combat. I didnt like much else from her and Pod's part.

Dorne looks beautiful. Siddig is perfect ..

WRT the Sansa scene, I and others stated that Sansa eyes and body language is showing distrust of LF and Brienne, the way it's showing with Brienne going straight up to LF is foolish, but per Gwendolyn Christie it's noted in the script as Sansa being wary.

http://watchersonthewall.com/

Christie also spoke with Entertainment Weekly about the events of last night’s episode, and the fateful meeting at the inn.

“Brienne kneels before Sansa in an exact mimic of the oath she made to Catelyn Stark,” the actress says. “And Sansa says, ‘No.’ But in the script, it says there’s the tiniest look in Sansa’s eyes. The script says the look is telling Brienne: ‘Get the f–k out of Dodge.’”

Thats actually what I got from the scene.

Sansa is doing her best to question LF, he is deftly playing with her.

The appearance of Brienne is dangerous to his plans and Sansa knows it. She says nothing, but stares directly at the woman, without blinking.

Sansa is no longer a scared little girl. She understands the game more now. In the past, in the same situation, she would have broken down, but right there we see her being able to remain detached and think strategically.

Its not in the books, but it works. It also reflects the scene in season one where her mother also had a chance encounter in a tavern. A moment that changed the course of all of their lives. Sansa did the opposite to her mother and did not react with her heart.

When I learned that in this episode Jon was elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, I decided to watch this episode (a rerun on TV not a torrent just to be clear). This was an event that takes place in book 3 and should have happened in season 4.

With Brienne following Sansa and Jamie going to Dorne instead of the Riverlands, all remaining possibility of Lady Stoneheart appearing is eliminated. Thumbs down on that.

There is still the possibility of Balon Greyjoy falling off the bridge happening and Aegon/Young Griff appearing. Unlikely of course but it's still early this season. Until one of the two happen, I'll resume my boycott of the show.

Edited by Ordos

There is still the possibility of Balon Greyjoy falling off the bridge happening and Aegon/Young Griff appearing. Unlikely of course but it's still early this season. Until one of the two happen, I'll resume my boycott of the show.

I believe Balon is still alive so he can assume any vital Greyjoy roles (Euron, Victarion, etc) that need to happen. Then he'll die. But as I don't think Aegon will appear, it would seem your boycott will last for a long time.

Edited by Ser Pounce FTW

Yes and I was going to use this as an example to make my point but Bob was still king. What happens in this situation where Tommen is made King before a regent has been chosen? I still don't believe it's automatically the parent.

There are no rules for it. It's just who has the most power and makes the play. In Westeros traditionally the Hand would act as the de facto regent. Kevan could take it away from Cersei, but he is not that foolish.

There are no rules for it. It's just who has the most power and makes the play. In Westeros traditionally the Hand would act as the de facto regent. Kevan could take it away from Cersei, but he is not that foolish.

I'd imagine a man in Kevan's position would be more interested in cementing his control over the Lannister family than taking over as regent.

Technically Tommen is a Baratheon, engaged to a Tyrell. Cersei's only claim is that she is the former Queen and mother to the future King. People bowed to Tywin's will because he was Tywin Lannister, Kevan doesn't have the same political punch (yet) IMHO.

Edited by kefln

I find this statement strange.

I have a copy of GOT sitting on a shelf not 8 foot away from where I sleep. I bought it back in the late 90’s, since then I’ve lived in two countries, four cities, gotten married, had two kids, and built a house.

In all of that time there has never been a successful translation of a fantasy/Sci-fi book series that I’ve read to television. And I had been reading fantasy/Sci-fi for a decade before I picked up ASOIF. GOT is the most watched show in the world. It has opened up new people to how great fantasy can be. Showing them that its not all about silly men in robes and hats saying made up words and shooting fire-balls from their hands. It can be gripping and just as “realistic” as any other sort of series.

People now use catch phrases like “You know nothing Jon Snow”, or “Winter is coming”, in the same way that they use “Luke, I am your father”, or “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” That’s how big an impact the show has had. When “Valar morghulis” was said at the Emmys no one laughed at the made up language.

The thing is when GOT ends there is a very good chance that fantasy shows will never reach that height again. I’m sure that production companies are looking into other series, trying to ride the wave of success, but that sort of thing rarely works.

This is the time for fantasy readers to go out and promote fantasy. Not turn to people and say that you’ve read the books but don’t watch the show because you don’t like the direction the story is going. For me it’s a little like when people spend years following a band, and discard them once they become “popular”. You never see sports fans discussing how they stopped watching something they’ve loved all their lives because a certain rule change just doesn’t make sense to them. No, they throw on their teams colours and cheer on the new season.

If people want a story with all the main characters from ASOIF, told in the same sequence as ASOIF, with the same pacing as ASOIF, then read ASOIF. The books are there. They can be read at any time. They aren’t changing.

But that shouldn’t stop people from watching the show. It should be enjoyed for what it is, a great TV show. A promotional vehicle for the genre.

*Sorry rant over, I’ll be getting off my soap box and getting my coat :D

It seems like a bit of an overreaction here. In the book there were a bunch of sycophants; in the show it's just Qyburn; and Kevan was also angry about Cersei sleeping with Lancel, which the TV version doesn't appear to know about.

Didn't the 1st episode touch on Cersei and Lancel? This could be why Kevan is furious with her. You can see how she's digging her grave and alienating everyone.

Shireen continuing to fight the most noble war in Westeros the war against illiteracy, I don't understand why Sam and Jon didnt mention the fact they know Bran is alive and the legit heir to Winterfell that just stank for me to be honest. The round table committee in Esos was stupid but the execution scene was good, Drogon looked great

Jon doesn't know Bran is alive, he just saw summer. And Sam promised Bran he wouldn't tell.

Actually he was going to take it from Cersei (hardly foolish!) which is why Varys had him killed.

It sure seems like we are being set up for Sansa to go to Winterfell, and LF said his wedding proposal was accepted. So either he has pawned her off to the Boltons for some reason, or...

Could this be the shows version of the RW 2.0? The Freys show up, Boltons host it, wedding, kill them all and Sansa now reigns over Winterfell?

It's that or Sansa is about to truly see what horror is at Ramseys hands. He makes Joffry seem mild.

I find this statement strange.

I have a copy of GOT sitting on a shelf not 8 foot away from where I sleep. I bought it back in the late 90s, since then Ive lived in two countries, four cities, gotten married, had two kids, and built a house.

In all of that time there has never been a successful translation of a fantasy/Sci-fi book series that Ive read to television. And I had been reading fantasy/Sci-fi for a decade before I picked up ASOIF. GOT is the most watched show in the world. It has opened up new people to how great fantasy can be. Showing them that its not all about silly men in robes and hats saying made up words and shooting fire-balls from their hands. It can be gripping and just as realistic as any other sort of series.

People now use catch phrases like You know nothing Jon Snow, or Winter is coming, in the same way that they use Luke, I am your father, or Frankly my dear, I dont give a damn. Thats how big an impact the show has had. When Valar morghulis was said at the Emmys no one laughed at the made up language.

The thing is when GOT ends there is a very good chance that fantasy shows will never reach that height again. Im sure that production companies are looking into other series, trying to ride the wave of success, but that sort of thing rarely works.

This is the time for fantasy readers to go out and promote fantasy. Not turn to people and say that youve read the books but dont watch the show because you dont like the direction the story is going. For me its a little like when people spend years following a band, and discard them once they become popular. You never see sports fans discussing how they stopped watching something theyve loved all their lives because a certain rule change just doesnt make sense to them. No, they throw on their teams colours and cheer on the new season.

If people want a story with all the main characters from ASOIF, told in the same sequence as ASOIF, with the same pacing as ASOIF, then read ASOIF. The books are there. They can be read at any time. They arent changing.

But that shouldnt stop people from watching the show. It should be enjoyed for what it is, a great TV show. A promotional vehicle for the genre.

*Sorry rant over, Ill be getting off my soap box and getting my coat :D

I lovelovelove your post.

With small changes this could be my story. I have been reading fantasy for many decades now and never before an adaptation on screen managed to capture me remotely like the books it was based on.

We have LOTR in all its majesty and yet the story with its beauty (and with all this money invested) is less captivating and relatable than GOT.

There may be some not so small points I wished they were realized in a different way and yet.....

Edited by Woman of War

I dread even more the fate of Shireen than the fate of Sansa.

Whatever is done to Sansa I am sure she will survive until at least into the last book since her story is not yet over.

Shireen burned by Melisandre, maybe with the support of her own mother, would be, well, dead.