Then all she has to do is remember what Selmy told her and realize that destiny thought otherwise.

Intercession with destiny is an injustice that needs to be rectified in the eyes of the believer. If she needs confirmation of that principle, she might need for destiny to give her a sign or 3 that she is right.

But if she really thinks about it, her family caused it's own downfall, she still be dead if it wasn't for Ned.

Also in show Jorah only tells her if Ned did to him what she wants to do to the owners he wouldn't be there to give any advise, and she would really be dead since he could not stop her assassination.

Not sure why there was not a straw that would have broken Selmy when Aerys's madness went over the top.

He should have joined Robert.

In fact Prince Rhaegar probably should have deposed his father, that would have been a complicated turn of events if he had enlisted Robert to do that!

Edited by boojam

Sorry if I'm discussing something already talked of. It occurred to me when watching the Small Council scene that the writers had a specific reason for sending Meryn Trant to Braavos given Arya's mention of him on her list. Does this have anything to do with "Mercy" do you think?

I think so, that's why her list will be shorter soon. :devil:

Sorry if I'm discussing something already talked of. It occurred to me when watching the Small Council scene that the writers had a specific reason for sending Meryn Trant to Braavos given Arya's mention of him on her list. Does this have anything to do with "Mercy" do you think?

Even before the series is aired, it was speculated from the set news that Arya would kill Meryn in Braavos. The question is, will she kill Mace too? I think it is very likely. I believe book!Mace will be slain shortly in batle by JonCon, so omitting JonCon means there is no use for Mace. This is also necessary to move the plot forward to the downfall of the Tyrells and Margaery's execution (it is coming).

Even before the series is aired, it was speculated from the set news that Arya would kill Meryn in Braavos. The question is, will she kill Mace too? I think it is very likely. I believe book!Mace will be slain shortly in batle by JonCon, so omitting JonCon means there is no use for Mace. This is also necessary to move the plot forward to the downfall of the Tyrells and Margaery's execution (it is coming).

hate to see the pompous fool die but yes we get two deaths.

Although I am not a Dany fan (can't wait for her death scene to be honest) I do agree strongly that the Meeren stuff has been pretty good so far this season. I think it's also showing Dany not to be the fairytale some unsullied thought i.e. the perfect ruler and conquerer.

You will be waiting for a diff show/book series then cos Dany will not be dying in this one :) Stannis on the other hand.......... :drunk:

MAJOR BOOK DEVIATION: Selyse burns Shireen, but almost immediately regrets what she has done. When Stannis returns to the Wall after his victory at Winterfell and with Sansa and Reek in tow, Selyse lies to the king and says the wildings killed the princess. Stannis, mad with grief, blames Jon for not killing the wildlings and plunges a knife through his gut.

J/K

Hopefully, Sam and Gilly rescue Shireen and "For the Watch" happens exactly as it does in the books with Jon surviving of course.

I do not think that will be much of a book deviation....Shireen represents Selyse's failure at producing an heir for Stannis... she loathes Shireen, and with Mel's nudging, Selyse will burn her at the stake in the Book IMHO... It will be the downfall of Stannis, because without something like that, Stannis would conquer the seven kingdoms IMHO... I mean the only real strategist left that the Crown has is Randall Tarley...

Not sure why there was not a straw that would have broken Selmy when Aerys's madness went over the top.

He should have joined Robert.

In fact Prince Rhaegar probably should have deposed his father, that would have been a complicated turn of events if he had enlisted Robert to do that!

Rhaegar told the KG and his friends there would be changes after the Trident...and while Aerys was a nut case Rhaegar was well respected and even admired by Selmy.

I have a question:

In the Books Selmy sides with Ned in going against Robert and council for killing Danny and her child, this week episode he tells her about her father and him burning people with wildfire; he was not in on the meeting in season one when the hit was put on her and the child so how will she learn that the reason she is alive is because of Ned, does anyone think she will learn it?

I don't think it matters much. Ned is dead. Whichever Stark kids Dany eventually meets will have their own resumes for Dany to judge them by.

And while Ned disapproved of the sack of KL and the assassination attempt on Dany; he and Dany were enemies. Ned went to war to remove her father from power and he would have gone to war again to fight against Dany's invasion. If Dany allies herself with any Starks in the future, it won't be on account of Ned's honor, it will be a result of the political situation Dany finds herself in and the personal connection she might have with the individual Stark. And if Dany and Starks fight against each other in the future, there will be a lot of reasons for that, not just the attempted assassination.

Hot take:

http://mashable.com/2015/04/22/game-of-thrones-beats-the-books/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

So far, one character has died in the show instead of being improbably saved and sent off on an unlikely quest; another has discovered the target of her quest instead of wandering aimlessly; another got elected to a new role in a far more believable fashion.

Two fan favorites are off on a mission to Dorne together, a much better use of their time than the nothing they get up to in the books, while one familiar face returns at just the right moment instead of never being seen again.

In short, TV viewers win, because they do not have to slog through three thousand pages of what reads like shaggy dog stories. Their version of Westeros has a more condensed, more engaging cast of characters. It is the one I'd much rather inhabit.

It isn't that the show is ahead of the books — not yet, anyway. It's that it really has its storytelling act together.

Gotta say that's an interesting way to look at it. I've got a friend who hated FFC and DWD because "GRRM got famous enough to tell his editor to fack off and the books suffered greatly", and she's the one who sent me this link saying she completely agreed with it.

Edited by vividox

Hot take:

http://mashable.com/2015/04/22/game-of-thrones-beats-the-books/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

Gotta say that's an interesting way to look at it. I've got a friend who hated FFC and DWD because "GRRM got famous enough to tell his editor to fack off and the books suffered greatly", and she's the one who sent me this link saying she completely agreed with it.

You could have just as easily posed this in the Rant and Rave thread. Oh well.

I read that article earlier, but I didn't see a place to comment on the article itself. Chris Taylor doesn't really know what he is talking about, book reader though he claims to be. That part about Jon "another got elected to a new role in a far more believable fashion" what a load of BS.

Even before the series is aired, it was speculated from the set news that Arya would kill Meryn in Braavos. The question is, will she kill Mace too?

I highly doubt it. Mace is a comic relief character, one the audience has not been given any reason to feel ill-disposed toward. They won't have Arya kill somebody like that.

I highly doubt it. Mace is a comic relief character, one the audience has not been given any reason to feel ill-disposed toward. They won't have Arya kill somebody like that.

I agree because for a successful assassination with fewer consequences it'll have to be a trap laid just for Meryn with a witness to say that he probably brought it upon himself. Mace's murder as well would be an international incident.

Hot take:

There is some merit in that article. By necessity the programme needs to be tighter and they have hacked away at large chunks. We now have two versions of the great story. :D

You could have just as easily posed this in the Rant and Rave thread. Oh well.

Well, I was neither ranting nor raving, I was just intrigued by an alternate view of the series' departure from the books and wanted to discuss it.

I read that article earlier, but I didn't see a place to comment on the article itself. Chris Taylor doesn't really know what he is talking about, book reader though he claims to be. That part about Jon "another got elected to a new role in a far more believable fashion" what a load of BS.

Yeah, I have no idea what was unbelieveable about Jon being elected in the books. Outside of that one nonsensical comment, I thought the points made held some water.