Even before the series is aired, it was speculated from the set news that Arya would kill Meryn in Braavos. The question is, will she kill Mace too? I think it is very likely. I believe book!Mace will be slain shortly in batle by JonCon, so omitting JonCon means there is no use for Mace. This is also necessary to move the plot forward to the downfall of the Tyrells and Margaery's execution (it is coming).

I think it is Loras Tyrell we will see getting the chop first. Way to raise the stakes and establish that the High Sparrow is badass. And I think he gets whacked in episode 4 because why else send out four screener episodes to the reviewers? It is the reason they needed the gay sex scene. They have to chop Loras before Margeary or she would choose trial by combat.

When Margaery gets the chop is another matter entirely. Might be this season or next.

I do not think that will be much of a book deviation....Shireen represents Selyse's failure at producing an heir for Stannis... she loathes Shireen, and with Mel's nudging, Selyse will burn her at the stake in the Book IMHO... It will be the downfall of Stannis, because without something like that, Stannis would conquer the seven kingdoms IMHO... I mean the only real strategist left that the Crown has is Randall Tarley...

I think Shireen will go to the stake but survive for now.

The reason GRRM saves Mance is likely because he wants to use the glamor scheme to save Jon Snow from For The Watch. If they are going to save Jon Snow that way, they have to raise it as a possibility first.

Bronn = Arys Oakheart.

Nah, why not dial it up to 11 and ice Myrcella now?

That leaves Cersei with only Tommen and a much more precarious position.

If you look at the stuff that has to happen in the remaining books it is obvious that there is more than can be done in the remaining three series. Whether we are looking at seven seasons or eight, there has to be a war in Dorne between the Lannister and Tyrell houses. And the season finale of the penultimate season has to be when the horn of winter is blown and the wall falls.

Either way, ice Myrcella in season 5 so we can get on with the next bit.

I think we are looking at eight seasons rather than seven and if the producers wanted it they could do nine and still be stuck cutting stuff out at a furious pace.

Who will kill Kevan/Pycelle?

It looks like Cersei... I'm guessing Varys is too busy/far away, and they are setting up some real animosity between Cersei and Kevan.

I'm guessing Varys drops Tyrion off somewhere between Volantis and Meereen, says toodaloo, goes back to KL, and does it himself.

Edited by vividox

Well, I was neither ranting nor raving, I was just intrigued by an alternate view of the series' departure from the books and wanted to discuss it.

Yeah, I have no idea what was unbelieveable about Jon being elected in the books. Outside of that one nonsensical comment, I thought the points made held some water.

Not only is the bird thing believable it happened in the election of one of the medieval popes, Fabianus in 236. That is why folk went nuts when a seagull landed on the stove pipe during the election of Francis.

Or maybe it didn't as there is very little reason to believe that the post of bishop of Rome even existed at the time let alone that the bird story is true. It is very much the sort of anecdote that appeals to someone fabricating a history. It is momentous but inconsequential. At any rate it was believed by the faithful for the next millennia or so.

Not only is the bird thing believable it happened in the election of one of the medieval popes, Fabianus in 236. That is why folk went nuts when a seagull landed on the stove pipe during the election of Francis.

Or maybe it didn't as there is very little reason to believe that the post of bishop of Rome even existed at the time let alone that the bird story is true. It is very much the sort of anecdote that appeals to someone fabricating a history. It is momentous but inconsequential. At any rate it was believed by the faithful for the next millennia or so.

Pope Fabian was a real person. We've found his tomb.

Since there is no "wildling prince" to send south with Gilly and Sam, and the trailers suggest that Aemon will be cremated at Castle Black, I'm wondering if Jon will send Shireen to Braavos if and when Sam and Gilly sail for the Reach? She would be safer there than at the wall, with wildlings worried about her greyscale and Mel thirsting for her king's blood.

We wouldn't get to see Aemon learning about the hatching of the dragons, surmising that Daenerys was TPTWP, wishing he could be a head of the dragon, or murmuring about the Sphinx. But Shireen's greyscale could start spreading again, Dareon could still desert with the silver that could be used for a healer, and Arya could still get in one of her coolest kills. It would probably be next season; it looks like she's got the insurer and Meryn Trant this year.

Since there is no "wildling prince" to send south with Gilly and Sam, and the trailers suggest that Aemon will be cremated at Castle Black, I'm wondering if Jon will send Shireen to Braavos if and when Sam and Gilly sail for the Reach? She would be safer there than at the wall, with wildlings worried about her greyscale and Mel thirsting for her king's blood.

We wouldn't get to see Aemon learning about the hatching of the dragons, surmising that Daenerys was TPTWP, wishing he could be a head of the dragon, or murmuring about the Sphinx. But Shireen's greyscale could start spreading again, Dareon could still desert with the silver that could be used for a healer, and Arya could still get in one of her coolest kills. It would probably be next season; it looks like she's got the insurer and Meryn Trant this year.

I don't think that's likely. Arya's season 6 will presumably be about whatever Arya does in TWOW (they'll be rushing these plots a bit to get to the conclusion), not leftovers from AFFC/ADWD.

I do not think that will be much of a book deviation....Shireen represents Selyse's failure at producing an heir for Stannis... she loathes Shireen, and with Mel's nudging, Selyse will burn her at the stake in the Book IMHO... It will be the downfall of Stannis, because without something like that, Stannis would conquer the seven kingdoms IMHO... I mean the only real strategist left that the Crown has is Randall Tarley...

WOW. I feel terrible for Stannis if that happens. I can totally see Martin doing something like that though, and it appears that's the direction the show is going as well. Kill a child that's a minor supporting character--I think that will be a first for the show.

Pope Fabian was a real person. We've found his tomb.

Finding his tomb does not prove that the office of Pope existed at the time Fabian lived. The inscription on the tomb only states he was a bishop. It seems highly unlikely that there would be a conclave for election to the office at the time. The centralization of the church and dogma would only become possible much later when Constantine took over.

At the time of Fabian, the church was still centered on the Greek world. We know that from the bishops Constantine invited to Nicosia. Rome was not important enough to merit an invite. We also know that there were multiple sources of power since the Bishops at the time spent much of their energy declaring each other to be heretics. All that it took to start a church was for someone to declare themselves a bishop.

It seems quite likely that there were actually two bishops operating in Rome at the time. Fabian is the one later clerics recognized as pope but St Hippolytus is also known to have been a bishop in Rome at the same time. He is also a major theologian of his age writing Against All Heresies. Given that the documentary evidence only appears after Constantine, there is really no need to give credence to what is actually a rather unlikely set of tales.

Who will kill Kevan/Pycelle?

It looks like Cersei... I'm guessing Varys is too busy/far away, and they are setting up some real animosity between Cersei and Kevan.

I still think Varys kills him, which will be a surprise because he is so far away. I don't think it will be Cersei because that would mean she basically committing the same crime as Tyrion. Cersei is gonna be dealing with a lot.

Further thought:

ShowAlliser was at the Battle for the Wall. He knows what Jon did. He had Jon at his right hand while commanding the Wall. Keeping their mutual hatred makes perfect sense, but having ShowAlliser argue that Jon's a traitor the same way his book counterpart did doesn't really work IMO.

I still think Varys kills him, which will be a surprise because he is so far away. I don't think it will be Cersei because that would mean she basically committing the same crime as Tyrion. Cersei is gonna be dealing with a lot.

I think Varys could hire an assassin and we would see the murders during a Varys voice over, similar to LF's ladder speech. But maybe Kevan just hunkers down in Casterly Rock offscreen for the rest of the season and somebody poisons Pycelle or executes him for treason during the KL power struggle.